It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How do you hide a 2-10-4?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:37 pm 

Emmo213 wrote:
nkpsteam779 wrote:
some of us who do care about 643 make a annual run over to the "rocks" to lube and oil the locomotive to keep her limbered up even if the owner does not care to do it

While I understand the sentiment I'm not sure trespassing on private property to work on a locomotive which isn't yours is the best way to get on the positive side of the owner.

Since from all accounts that is pretty much futile, I'm guessing they're not trying to "get on the positive side of the owner". I suspect they're trying to preserve the locomotive until such time as the owner and/or his heirs decide it's time to do something with it.

Ideally, it would be done with the owner's permission. Trespassing obviously isn't the best approach. However, it may be the most realistic option at this time. I'd also not consider lubrication to be "working on" the engine, since if that's all that's being done, then they're not actually making any sort of modifications or changes to her, just trying to preserve what's there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:11 pm 

I think you all misread Steve's remark about lubing the 643 up once a year. I'm pretty sure Glen is kept in the loop as to these annual activities. He's not that unreasonable. 643 and its followers are fortunate that the site owners are also very reasonable people. I don't think anyone pays them anything for the inconvenience of having this thing sitting on their property.

BTW, I just love it when someone asks about the status of 643! Honestly, I hope and pray that one day it results in some meaningful progress towards her safe, long term preservation. Remember, hope springs eternal...

Rob Gardner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:27 pm 

I heard that Jerry Jacobson of AoSR in Sugarcreek OH. wanted it and tried to get it. the owner said no. the 643 would be in better hands under Jacobson's ownership. I would tell him or her that you can't take it with you to the grave you have think about what's best for the 643. I would try to negotiate with the owner if I want to buy her i would say "okay instead of me trying to buy her why don't you loan her to me I will restore and house her. You can come see it or ride it anytime you want you will still own it. the locomotive isn't mine it's yours you're just going to let me house it and operate her 643 will come to Mckees Rocks if or when it can. To make it even better at the time for its first steam test i will have you throw the flare or match into the firebox or you can even be part of the group or both either way you will still own it and 643 will operate and you and everybody you know will know you were a part of it deal". I would say that and i think that's very reasonable don't you?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:18 pm 

You're assuming the owner is a reasonable man. Those who have had experience trying to negotiate with him tell us he isn't. Whether he is or not, he's still entitled to do what he wants with his property.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:06 pm 

we are re-re-rambling all the old discussions on this. I'm glad its not scrapped and theres still positive outlook for it.

We will have to keep watch, and if the owner passes it would become a last second ditch effort to save it from scrappers like the lost engines of roanoke.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:26 pm 

I didn't say it was going to be easy to negotiate and I know not everybody can do it but you have to at least try. try to give him an offer that he can't refuse and if he does refuse at least i tried. Ross Rowland went through it so i know its not easy but anything can happen once the time is right.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:46 pm 

Hello,

Upon learning of the Rivers of Steel Carrie Furnaces site, what an appropriate place for the 643 to reside! It would theme relevant, plenty of space, along with the steam rolling mill which Rick Roland is overseeing the reassembly, posted on other forums.

A serious gathering of heavy iron. This site could be like Greenfield Village on steroids. A substantial industrial heritage site.

A idea to consider.

Regards,

Randy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:10 pm 

Well I do not know where the idea of trespassing came into play. But I can surely tell you I get full permission to be on the property. Rob is correct. The work that is done under the permission of the owner and the property owners. Hopefully some day she might be able to come back to life but in the mean time keeping it lubricated is the best option for her.

Thanks

Steven Harvey

Bobharbison wrote:
Emmo213 wrote:
nkpsteam779 wrote:
some of us who do care about 643 make a annual run over to the "rocks" to lube and oil the locomotive to keep her limbered up even if the owner does not care to do it

While I understand the sentiment I'm not sure trespassing on private property to work on a locomotive which isn't yours is the best way to get on the positive side of the owner.

Since from all accounts that is pretty much futile, I'm guessing they're not trying to "get on the positive side of the owner". I suspect they're trying to preserve the locomotive until such time as the owner and/or his heirs decide it's time to do something with it.

Ideally, it would be done with the owner's permission. Trespassing obviously isn't the best approach. However, it may be the most realistic option at this time. I'd also not consider lubrication to be "working on" the engine, since if that's all that's being done, then they're not actually making any sort of modifications or changes to her, just trying to preserve what's there.

http://www.americansteamrailroad.org
http://www.fireup2100.org

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:07 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
It had to be done, given the original topic.
(Hat tip: Jonathan Eau Claire)

Attachments:
10526705_10152203206628045_1402145160_n.jpg
10526705_10152203206628045_1402145160_n.jpg [ 90.91 KiB | Viewed 10779 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:20 pm 

AS I've previously explained in some detail my efforts several years ago to arrange for this engine to go to the AOS facility proved futile as the owner is COMPLETELY detached from reality and therefore there is sadly a strong likelyhood that eventually she'll get scrapped in place.

IMHO-Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:24 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/BLE643

apparently there is a chessie Business car for sale.

It sounds most apparent to get the engine operating on local rails B&LE, The engine may well be in operating order just waiting for the opportune time for it.

The nearby railroad probably went ahead and closed off the connection, there's no need if nothing is going to happen and you remove a safety issue not having any erractic switches to misalign into the area where 643 is, so may as well not have that issue.
You can always get a reconnect. And a temporary connection is always possible if you need to move the engine out, and if the engine is in operable condition as they say, it could power its own way out. The way I see it its a lady just waiting for its happening.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:29 pm 

I don't see it going to AOS, 643 is a heritage engine with its history around Pittsburgh, just like 765 is to Ft Wayne. Glenn may have other plans and may not be telling us.

cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:36 pm 

dinwitty wrote:
I don't see it going to AOS, 643 is a heritage engine with its history around Pittsburgh, just like 765 is to Ft Wayne. Glenn may have other plans and may not be telling us.

cheers

He probably does... But opening his mouth could kill said plans. Isn't it less painful to ignore the public in these situations, then opening up everything and getting hammered with criticism?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:11 am 

more like sticking to your guns with your plan. Anybody could say/try to do anything.