It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Caboose identification...a long shot!
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:50 pm 

Thought I would bring this long running thread to a decent close by posting a photo of our Iowa Division caboose which was moved earlier this week back to the display track at HVRM. Thanks for everyone's patience.

Les

Attachments:
Hoosier Valley May 10, 2014 003.JPG
Hoosier Valley May 10, 2014 003.JPG [ 341.71 KiB | Viewed 9741 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:02 pm 

Slow news day on Rypn, so a question on this caboose.

Les, have you got an interior photo? I've taken a liking to this caboose because of this thread and now am curious about how your team fixed up the insides. Also was wondering if there are existing window frames still installed at the plated over window locations.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:13 pm 

Rock Island Lines -

The caboose was basically gutted (due to an earlier interior fire) which is why we decided to turn it into a display car. We opened the cupola windows over the roof that had been plated over, but left the side windows plated to try to keep moisture out of the interior. This did not work as the walkways around the cupola accumulated water and led to some of our problems. Anyway, I don't believe that the window frames for the plated over windows on the sides, still exist. The maple T&G floor on the inside of the caboose still has to be sanded down, thus the caboose is still not open to visitors.

Hope that answers your questions.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:26 pm 

Thanks, sir. That does answer my questions. Hadn't even noticed the walkways until you mentioned them just now.
Looking forward to seeing your next project underway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:52 pm 

Wasting time on a Sunday. Two identical cabooses. I know Les has already seen these.

9906, "Chicago-Iowa pool", Chicago: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ic/ic-c9906ads.jpg

9953, "Terminal Service", Homewood, IL. Note how the cupola window slides open.: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ic/ic-c9953ads.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:48 pm 

rock island lines wrote:

Well I'll be darned... Another photo of 9953 has shown up on Ebay. But in this older
photo, the caboose is stenciled with "Chicago-Iowa Pool" rather than "Terminal Service". I
suppose that's a small detail the HVRM guys could add to their caboose if so inclined.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IC-Illinois-Cen ... 41862d49cb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:39 pm 

The two recent photos posted by rock island lines (thanks!) showing the sublettering on IC 9953 for "Chicago-Iowa Pool" and later for "Terminal Service", are both interesting and appreciated. Either would have been a nice touch for our IC caboose. However, the gentleman at HVRM who did the lettering of our caboose, chose not to include either. I certainly can understand that decision, as neither applies to the use of the caboose today.

Speaking of our IC 9914, the interior floor has finally been finished by member Bob Albert and a photo of his terrific efforts is included. We now will be able to start moving displays into the car.

Les

Attachments:
End of Summer 9-20-14 003.JPG
End of Summer 9-20-14 003.JPG [ 222.5 KiB | Viewed 9125 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:19 pm 

Recently found this photo on the internet of one of the other surviving ICRR Iowa Division cabooses:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 97&nseq=85

Note that this caboose is lettered as Rock Island #17221, although it is actually Illinois Central Railroad #9900. Location is Hampton, Iowa at the Franklin County Fairgrounds sitting next to the old CRI&P Hampton depot.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:59 pm 

Started this thread a little over 5 years ago, when I was trying to find the road number of our Illinois Central caboose. The hunt was interesting (you can go through the thread if you so desire), but in the end turned out to be fruitless. Of the 36 Illinois Central Iowa Division offset cupola caboose built WITHOUT side doors, these were identified:

9900, 9908, 9951, 9956, (quite likely 9957), 9959, 9961, 9966 and 9967, with the number on the caboose in Clarksville, Tennessee not found.

We eventually decided to paint the number 9914 on our caboose at Hoosier Valley, with the idea that the number could be changed if the Clarksville caboose turned out actually to be 9914. Of course, another ICRR Iowa Division caboose MIGHT even turn up. Well guess what? One has! Tom Cornillie in another thread linked a site that had preserved railroad equipment info and I have been checking various things. Got around to the Illinois Central and found this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brent_nas ... 726123958/

This obviously Iowa Division caboose is at the boyhood home of Carl Perkins in Tiptonville, Tennessee. And...NO NUMBER! Is it the 9914? Well, a bit of investigation may be in order. Anyone down in that neck of the woods?

Les

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:45 pm 

according to this list, the Bogue Chitto caboose is 9906.

http://www.icrr.net/iccaboose.htm

I was wondering if it was rebuilt that maybe the door framing was still intact.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:51 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
This obviously Iowa Division caboose is at the boyhood home of Carl Perkins in Tiptonville, Tennessee. And...NO NUMBER! Is it the 9914?

Here is the Tiptonville caboose before repainting. Image is from a 2004 news article announcing the visitor center project.

Wonder where they got the caboose?

http://www.stategazette.com/story/1072684.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:59 pm 

Thanks for the photo. The IC road number might still be somewhere on the caboose.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:02 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Thanks for the photo. The IC road number might still be somewhere on the caboose.

Les

This is probably nothing new to anyone, but IC cabooses always had the number stenciled on both sides of the center sill. Unless the center sill has been sandblasted to bare metal and repainted, remnants of the number should be there, even if it was simply painted over without sandblasting first.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:28 pm 

Lincoln Penn wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:

Les

This is probably nothing new to anyone, but IC cabooses always had the number stenciled on both sides of the center sill. Unless the center sill has been sandblasted to bare metal and repainted, remnants of the number should be there, even if it was simply painted over without sandblasting first.

Lincoln Penn -

True. But someone still has to check to see what that number might be. I believe the caboose currently sits out in the open, unfenced, so such a check would be feasible.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:26 pm 

This thread was started over 7 and a half years ago and one thing I try to note, is the change in the status of these surviving Iowa Division ICRR cabooses, when I find out about them. Recently on the Ahead of the Torch (AOTT) website, it was disclosed that IC #9956 that was located in Ponchatoula, Louisiana was for sale, and it was disclosed that it had, in fact, been sold. The asking price was in the the $2,000 range and, even though the caboose had apparently had an interior fire BEFORE is was donated to Ponchatoula, that's a pretty low price for an intact caboose these days. As I said, I try to keep track of these IC offset cupola cabooses that the railroad had built without side doors for service on the railroads Iowa Division and if anyone knows where IC 9956 eventually ends up, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Thanks!

Les

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next