It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: NdeM 3028 Status?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:47 am 

If you are looking for an American-built export locomotive, the Turkish State Railways (TCDD) 56301 class 2-10-0 "Skyliners", built by Vulcan Iron Works would be nice, there still is a few available in scarp yards in Turkey, besides a pair preserved in the country.

Attachments:
14811.jpg
14811.jpg [ 47.67 KiB | Viewed 9779 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:10 am 

Good suggestion with the Turkish 2-10-0s, there are of course a number of USA built narrow gauge steam engines that were exported, then returned to the USA, then disguised as American domestic engines. Nobody seems to want them displayed as what they actually are, unfortunately.

I am not alone in my love for the NdeM Niagaras, there are some others who were lucky enough in their youth to experience these engines in service. There are also a large number (not when compared to NYC/ATSF/UP etc...) of Mexican railfans and modelers, both in Mexico and in the USA, some of them are quite affluent, a large percentage would be interested in seeing 3028 in steam again. I want to help (and get others to help), as mentioned earlier in this thread.... that is, if anybody wants our help.

One more thing --- QR-1 wheelbase is 86 feet 3 5/8 inches. If you are talking about turning her on a 90 foot turntable, NO PROBLEM. Just make sure that there is nothing hanging out too close to the turntable when you do it, that's what hostler helpers are for.

Once again GOOD LUCK WITH 3028.

Viva Vapor Mexicano !!!!

Sammy King

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:21 am 

QJdriver wrote:
One more thing --- QR-1 wheelbase is 86 feet 3 5/8 inches. If you are talking about turning her on a 90 foot turntable, NO PROBLEM. Just make sure that there is nothing hanging out too close to the turntable when you do it, that's what hostler helpers are for.

The main reason I would have my doubts on 3028 fitting on Steamtown's turntable are the safety railings that surround the majority of the pit. Larger locomotives like 759 (and maybe 6039?) can it but only if those railings are removed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:54 pm 

I always thought 3028 would make a close enough replica for a NC&STL J2 "Glider". I always thought if a group tried and failed at getting J3 576 out of the park in Nashville that this might be an alternative. There is a surviving NC&STL tender at TVRM and may be one still extant in Texas,at least there was 12 years ago. http://ncstl.com/equipment/steam/484j2.htm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:27 pm 

Likewise, one of those N,C,& St L engines (isn't there one in the park in Nashville we could have) would be perfect for making a similar fake NdeM engine, I might be able to find an extra NdeM tender in Mexico for the puropose. (Steam engines are covered under national patrimony statutes, but the tenders aren't). With one phone call I can get you a Mexican whistle....

We have feelings, too. We will support restoring our Niagara any way we can if given the opportunity, I've waited since 1966 for that. What we are not enthused about is a CB&Q 4960 style makeover, and we won't contribute to that kind of restoration. Of course, the person (corporations are people, my friend) with the most money always gets his way.

I (but not necessarily all the other Niagaraholics) understand that anybody who takes responsibility, does all the work, coughs up the cash to put Humpty Dumpty back together again, and pays her fuel oil bill, will most likely want to paint their name on the tender while she earns her keep. Of couse that's reasonable, and any other kind of disguise for her that doesn't involve any actual permanant alterations to her design seems harmless to me. It seems like she was dolled up as a D&H engine for a movie if I recall, why not let the D&H fans have their fun ??? TSRR 500 is still AT&SF 1316 under the green paint and prettty yellow stripes, but she might be getting pretty scuzzy if she were still in the park.

The thing is, why not let NdeM fans have at least one restoration for our favorite road ??? There is a wonderful variety of steam power restored for the American and Canadian roads, and many more fine examples which ought to be restored (and would be in a perfect world). Made in USA steam truly conquered the world, we are the first to say so. QR-1s were the last example in North America of working mainline big MADE IN USA steam, and at the time the NdeM was the biggest railroad in the North American rail net.

For the third time in this thread, we want to help if our help is wanted.

VIVA NdeM 3028 !!!!

Sammy King

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:32 pm 

Safety railings around the turntable pit ??? Nanny state, but of course that is right, turning a QR-1 on a 90 foot turntable INSIDE A CAGE would demolish the safety railings, never heard of such a thing myself, shows how much I know.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:01 pm 

QJdriver wrote:
The thing is, why not let NdeM fans have at least one restoration for our favorite road ??? There is a wonderful variety of steam power restored for the American and Canadian roads, and many more fine examples which ought to be restored (and would be in a perfect world). Made in USA steam truly conquered the world, we are the first to say so. QR-1s were the last example in North America of working mainline big MADE IN USA steam, and at the time the NdeM was the biggest railroad in the North American rail net.

For the third time in this thread, we want to help if our help is wanted.

VIVA NdeM 3028 !!!!

For me, these locomotives have classic lines, so there is no need to alter them by turning it into something it is not.

Wherever it ends up, it is a good example of of the strong export business U.S. locomotive builders did at the time (and still do).

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:50 pm 

Thank you, Mr Wilkins.

COME ON NOW, WHO'S WITH ME ???

VIVA NdeM 3028 !!!!

Sammy King

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:43 pm 

I would like very much to see the 3028 restored to an as built condition.

Viva Villa (whoops, wrong slogan)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:06 pm 

How about a scaled down version of a CofG Big Apple 4-8-4???? No really, is it a volunteer project or what, I read something that they hoped to have her in steam around '06?

Post subject: Re: NdeM 3028 Status? Again
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:16 pm 

I was originally suggesting to Youtube User PM1223 that NdeM 3028 COULD be leased out and restored to operating service. Ferromex and Kansas City Southern de México are both NdeM successors railways. Mainline Steam in Mexico would be Epic.

Question:

- Are steam operating rules looser in Mexico than here in the United States?

I'm sure NdeM 3028 would need to be up to code in both countries in order to do perform any cross border trips.

I totally agree with QJdriver. VIVA NdeM 3028!!!!

Olé! ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:20 pm 

Anybody who agrees with me is obviously right !!!

I am sure that 3028 would be up to Mexican codes if she were up to FRA code, which has been translated into Spanish for this purpose.

You are also right on the mark that both KCSdeM and Ferromex would be potential sponsors or donors for 3028. They have cosmeticly restored some of the engines displayed in Mexico, but painted their logos on the tenders. UP has also made some very fine donations of railroad equipment to the Mexican Republic. This could even "possibly" result in TWO class I railroads taking a cooperative interest in restoring the same steam engine !!!

Although she worked on routes used by both of these companies during her career on NdeM, and I'd love to see her run there again, I don't know if sending her south of the border is such a great idea. The Mexicans will want to keep her...

VIVA NdeM 3028 !!!!

Sammy King

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:49 am 

"If you are looking for an American-built export locomotive, the Turkish State Railways (TCDD) 56301 class 2-10-0 "Skyliners", built by Vulcan Iron Works would be nice, there still is a few available in scarp yards in Turkey, besides a pair preserved in the country."

Now, you are talking.. Vulcan Iron Works, (Live Long and Prosper).

They were also tested in pusher service on the Lehigh Valley.

Of course when your birthplace and an engine's birthplace are within walking distance, and both are defunct, you have to have a soft spot for them. (Unfortunately Vulcan isn't making engines and the successor to Mercy Hospital ain't birthin' no babies in South Wilkes Barre anymore.)

Maybe if I say it'll never happen (like I said about Big Boys, and thought about 611 & 1309)

What's the Powerball jackpot next time?

"The main reason I would have my doubts on 3028 fitting on Steamtown's turntable are the safety railings that surround the majority of the pit."

Isn't this a shorter engine than MILW 261?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:59 am 

3028 still needs a few more bolts tightened. Pictures taken April 2014.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:33 am 

Thanks for sharing the detail pics of 3028. A few of them have me scratching my head but I will leave it at that for now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next