It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 761 in Wickenburg Arizona --Looking for an expert/consul
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:48 pm 

Replacing the existing fence with one about twice as high would deter most vandals, yet keep the locomotive and caboose acceptably visible. The cost of the new fence could be partially offset by the disposal of the old fence-either selling it as scrap or trading in to the fence company. Adding a few well placed floodlights would also enhance the locomotive as an attraction and deter vandalism as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:07 pm 

Whether or not they grow the fence upward, they should lengthen it to enclose the caboose as well. That should prevent all but the most determined trespassers out and would eliminate access by the "jumpers".

The fence shown is quite attractive and doesn't block the view very badly.

Steve Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:22 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I'm learning so much about the 761 locomotive, I really appreciated the detailed discussion and ideas. Just to give you a bit more information the Town owns the train and the Town wants to see it refurbished, as does the Chamber. It's a local tourist attraction that we'd like to preserve for future generations and we are not sure how to properly care for it.

As of now, there is no master plan in place for the locomotive.

~ Jillian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:43 pm 

If the Town and C of C can come up with the money, the best thing to do would be raise the fence another few feet and erect an open sided shed to keep the rain off the locomotive. Tucson and the Southern Arizona Transportation Museum did that with Southern Pacific No. 1673 and it has served us well. Any cosmetic restoration will deteriorate if inadequate protection from the weather is provided and as I recall, you all receive a bit more rain than we do. At a minimum, a cover should be placed over the smokestack to prevent rain from getting in the smokebox and rusting it out.

You should also replace the glass missing from the headlamps to prevent further deterioration. Plate glass can be used although plexiglass would be preferable-harder for the vandals to break.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:24 pm 

Hi Everyone! A friend referred me to this thread because my husband and I just moved to North Arizona from the PNW.

My husband and I are both crew members of the SP&S 700 engine (a 4-8-4 Baldwin housed in Portland, Oregon). We have been active in helping to maintain her and in her operations as he is also a steam qualified engineer and I a conductor. We are going to miss her greatly now that we are down here and were hoping to find a steam restoration project to join that isn't a days trip away.

In fact, we have been eyeing the Kingman engine (also a 4-8-4 Baldwin) with great interest but have heard that the city is content with it remaining just a park display.

If anything is cleared for restoration on the #761 PLEASE keep us both in mind.

I have done a lot of work in the firebox (cleaning, staybolt tapping, drilling, setting ceraset, cleaning flues, and hydro-testing) and have helped in smoke box maintenance as well and replacing seals etc. I am not afraid of getting dirty and am not above cleaning woodwork, brass and windows. lol (I think I have cleaned every part of a steam engine excluding the inside of the tender). My husband has experience with the brakes, firebox, and a wide variety of other assorted tasks on keeping the engine running.

Thanks in advance,
Leia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:35 pm 

Hi Guys, Another few useful things to do while you are awaiting for the powers to be to decide on a course of action, is to go around the locomotive, document & photograph all parts and surfaces, and where ever possible, add grease any moving parts. If if you have not started to already, try to build a portfolio of documentation, photographs and in service history of the locomotive. Sources of information on Baldwin Locomotives can be found at the Degoyer Library in Dallas Texas, the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania at Strasburg Pa, and the Hagley Museum in Delaware. A few years back, the folks trying to restore Long Island Railroad 35, had a booklet on care and maintenance of park locomotives available. It would be worth finding a copy for reference. Also talk to the Santa Fe Railroad Historical Society people for info on your locomotive. Hope this is useful, David Notarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:02 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
A perhaps final--and good news--update:

I rolled into Wickenburg in hot pursuit of a southbound (RR calls it "westbound") BNSF intermodal last week, and stuck around to look over this old gal, having completely forgotten about this thread but knowing 761 was trackside.
Attachment:
DSC_0726mod.jpg
DSC_0726mod.jpg [ 142.49 KiB | Viewed 3660 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0741mod.jpg
DSC_0741mod.jpg [ 143.76 KiB | Viewed 3660 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0743.jpg
DSC_0743.jpg [ 71.57 KiB | Viewed 3660 times ]

The loco looks terrific, having been restored in 2016-17 according to the signs; the caboose is still scheduled to be open fall to spring on a set schedule; there are several signs explaining not only 761 and the caboose but the railroad's role in Arizona's and Wickenburg's history....

Oooops, here comes my train..... THANKS FOR ASKING US AND YOUR WORK, FOLKS!!!!

Attachment:
DSC_0735mod.jpg
DSC_0735mod.jpg [ 180.92 KiB | Viewed 3660 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:45 pm 

Hi
One person that is an expert in this field. is Gary Bensman, of Diversified Rail Service, he and his crew can perform anything from a Cosmetic restoration to a Full Steam up restoration. I have no idea, on prices, etc.
But if you are looking for the right man for the job, he and his crew are it. This is just a suggestion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:51 pm 

Alex #4, that is a great shot of the two trains. Nice work.

The little loco looks better than it did when I visited it about ten years back. Wickenburg is a thriving artsy town, and I've certain the town government could afford to have numerals and glass replaced. A company or restoration savvy organization might approach the town with a plan and bottom line figure. As winter approaches, the temperatures become much better for this type of work.