It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some thoughts on NKP 757
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:28 am 

While the Pennsylvania State Railroad Museum is certainly a first-class operation, chatting with the museum staff and visually observing the engines condition, myself and others have got the impression that NKP 757 seems to be considered an “outsider” when it comes to the museum’s focus and will never be put inside or much effort ever made to give it a cosmetic restoration on a level with other engines at the museum.
I may be completely misinterpreting this, but if this indeed the case, have any efforts ever been made, or are being made, to find a location where the engine would be more “at home” such as the Mad River & NKP Museum in Bellevue, OH?
What is the museum’s actual position on the locomotive?
This inquiry is not meant to downplay in any way the superb work done by the museum staff which, of course, is accomplished with many hours of hard work.
Just wondering.
Jim Kreider

Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on NKP 757
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:49 am 

IRM has a large line of steamers outside, and no way to get them under cover for now, slow progress, other equipment has priorities, but a steamer essentially can withstand outside and you can return to service if desired or cosmetic restoration.

Let's see any responders for them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:48 am 

Maybe they could trade it for B&LE 643.............

(Exit stage right.....)

;-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:12 am 

The short answer: Yes.

And historically, 757 was to be donated to Bellevue.

http://www.fwrhs.org

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:01 am 

nathansixchime wrote:
The short answer: Yes.

And historically, 757 was to be donated to Bellevue.

My understanding was that since the NKP did run through about 90 miles of PA, the 757 was a legitimate part of their collection. A collection that is somewhat shy on non-PRR mainline steam locomotives. If any NKP locomotive is out of place, it's the 759 in Scranton. I realize it's been there long enough to have it's own storied history with Steamtown, and Steamtown's mission is to tell a national railroad story. Before the recent moves, I would have said that the 763 should have gone to Bellevue, but it made it back to Ohio a different way, is in safe hands, is in-fact, next to a formerly NKP controlled line, and may actually be restored to operating in the future, something that would probably never happen in Bellevue. I've long thought that Bellevue of all points on the NKP should have a Nickel Plate steam locomotive, preferably a Berk, but that's not going to happen now. Is there a neglected NKP steam locomotive in a park that would be a good candidate?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:19 am 

Had to dig this out. Essentially the city didn't have the money for the display site and track.

Attachments:
1477338_10100626679002537_1632262205_n.jpg
1477338_10100626679002537_1632262205_n.jpg [ 126.79 KiB | Viewed 13697 times ]

http://www.fwrhs.org

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:13 pm 

Occasionally we discuss relevancy (i.e. “at home”) on this board. Too often this discussion does not include mission. The mission of the RRMPA is “The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania collects, preserves and interprets Pennsylvania’s railroad history for citizens and visitors by preserving and documenting the contributions that Pennsylvania railroading has made to the development of our Commonwealth and the nation.” Simply put, NKP 757 fits that mission until otherwise decided.

Fans of the Nickel Plate can take comfort in closer to home Berkshires in Ohio and Indiana. This poster, who grew up in upstate New York, was able to see a GG-1 in Syracuse, NY, ride behind steam for the first time (and see a Big Boy) in Vermont, and see an English LNER A4 in Montreal because those organizations have broader focuses. I have certainly benefited from viewing pieces (far beyond railroad-related as well) outside their native area. Let us also consider what may have happened had “engine #123” had been displayed not beyond its borders.

The incredible happening of the two A4s from North America briefly returning to the UK for a couple years, coupled with the upcoming move of the N&W engine from St. Louis to Virginia, are among the great examples of museums working together (along with private support) to share collections. Let us think more on how to make this happen in the future.

Joshua

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:29 pm 

One official of the RMPA once told me 757 was dangled before the Western New York folks in exchange for the I1sa. This has since been denied by others. Lots of people refer to 757 as "the forgotten Berkshire". Parts from it have gone to help restore others, but as she sits today, her smokebox is severely corroded and she's just unappreciated. It might be time to look for a group prepared to move her, fix her up either for display or operation. Still, where she sits today, the Berk is very safe.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:38 pm 

Even though NKP 757 seems to be unappreciated, I hope the old girl stays right where she is. She helps just a bit in diluting the tuscan red that threatens to overwhelm the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, which should be interpreting all the railroads in the Commonwealth, not just the Pennsylvania Railroad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:42 pm 

Many museums took in what they could/can/had better take for its preservation and be happy with it. Thats their first goal even if it wasn't their locale, but today we've seen a few equipment moves to put an engine back to its historic locale.

639 in Bloomington IL may be one forgotten Mike,
624 in Hammond, IN theres a group working in the hopes to restore it

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:58 pm 

There's something to be said in favor of the current "system" of museums with national focus alongside museums with regional focus. I enjoyed seeing the national collection in St. Louis as much as the more focused regional collections at the B&O and RRMPa. The same can be said for the similar collection patterns for trolley museums.

Wesley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:09 pm 

Having served on the Board of the WNYRHS at the time, there was indeed a proposal submitted to the Board for a swap the PRR I1sa 4483 for the NKP 757. Unfortunately, the Board was divided by the issue. Sentimentality out voted practicality and the deal never occurred.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:13 pm 

dinwitty wrote:

624 in Hammond, IN theres a group working in the hopes to restore it

A few years ago, a group named the Northwest Indiana Railroad Preservation Society was formed with the intention of restoring the equipment and artifacts on display in Hammond. This included NKP 2-8-2 #624. I know of a couple of individuals that left the organization for one reason or the other, but I think the NIRPS does still exist. I don't know how active they currently are, of if they have made any progress with the equipment including the 624.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:22 pm 

Here's a video on Nickel Plate Road 757 being moved around at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in October of 2010.

Moving the Nickel Plate 757 by BeanieLegend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDD2XyJKd-w

Enjoy!?! *_*

Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on NKP .624.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:28 pm 

I don't know about the group in charge of the Nickel Plate Road 2-8-2 #624 restoration because I stopped by the site in Hammond Ind. a month ago . The locomotive is now in worst shape before it a appear in Ron Ziel's book the Twilight of STEAM. Back a couple of years ago I remember reading that some group had big plans for the 624. But, it looks to me that the group has been out to lunch for years.