All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Minnesota & Western: IMPORTANT NEWS
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:09 pm 

colfaxstation wrote:
The Coronet Phosphate 2-6-2T will be going to the Colfax Railroad museum

Herb Sakalaucks
Colfax Railroad Museum

Herb -

It's interesting that the Coronet Phosphate steam locomotive roster has really done well in the preservation era. In addition to 2-6-2T #5 going to the Colfax Railroad Museum (glad to hear that by the way), IRM has another Coronet 2-6-2T, number 9. And 0-4-2T #6 is at HVRM, another 0-4-2T, number 7, was purchased by the Gramblings not too long ago, and I think there is another 0-4-2T in existance someplace as I recall. Five engines from, what I assume, was a small phosphate mining operation in Florida. Not too shabby! BTW, I have never seen a photo of that operation in steam days; anyone have one? Also no info about the place, including when they actually stopped operating steam.

Les

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:25 am 

Anyone know the gauge and history of the live steam locomotive?
O. Anderson
groups.yahoo.com/group/18inch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:08 pm 

Whats the condition of the passenger/work train cars? Any chance of getting pictures and details?

colfaxstation wrote:
The question has been asked on this forum a number of times the status on Don Lind's collection in Annandale MN. Mr. Lind passed away in mid December and the Colfax Railroad Museum was contacted to see if we were interested in any of the equipment. We were out there today surveying the equipment and getting photos. I will post photos over the next few days, as time allows. In brief, here's the situation. The M&StL 2-8-0 is being purchased by a private party. The Coronet Phosphate 2-6-2T will be going to the Colfax Railroad museum, along with the Milw. Rd. URTX reefer, and, hopefully, the Iowa Central wood boxcar (if it's transportable). We will also be acquiring enough early 4 and 6 wheel trucks to restore other cars. Some of these will be available for sale for other restoration projects and to help cover the cost of moving the 2-6-2T. We also plan to get the small park trains and the two speeders. The former Soo/DSS&A passenger cars are all too far gone to even attempt to move (mostly broken backs and/or collapsed). There is a metal bodied flatcar available, the wooden flatcar is headed for scrap, after salvage of arch bar trucks. The Mn trolley is also headed for scrap. There is a Soo Line work train steam engine tender available, a GN heavyweight baggage with Timken roller bearing 6 wheel trucks, two other BN work train metal baggage cars and a GN coach/diner? work train car. There are three Soo line cabooses available, but they need A LOT of HELP! Roof ribs appear intact but roofing on two is partial at best. There is a wooden baggage that might be salvagable, but there is one 4' stretch of open roof. There is a frame and end walls to an earlier Soo Line caboose also available.

If anyone collects heavy construction or over the road trucks and trailers,. there are a number of cabs & trailers, an old dozer, crane and maybe a drag line hiding in the weeds.

If you have any interest in the above items, please contact me off list and I'll provide dimensions for moving, and prices. We're trying to salvage what's still usable, but due to site limitations, the two steamers are going to take some effort to get off site.

Herb Sakalaucks
Colfax Railroad Museum

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:25 pm 

Tavor,

There are two thread linked in responses above that include pictures.

Wesley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:39 pm 

I'm interested in knowing if you found any of the parts from DM&IR 221. Richard Thompson remembers that Don purchased the power reverse and a cross compound air compressor when the locomotive was scrapped by the Missabe. I've never been able to find them when I've toured the property. Also, is the St. Paul union depot sign too far gone to save? Last I saw it had a large tree growing through the middle.

Jeff Terry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:03 pm 

I second this. Three cheers for diplomacy!
Also, I was hoping to get pictures of the steel heavyweight equipment, if I'm honest. The linked threads only showed some rather terrifying wooden equipment.
wesp wrote:
Herb,

Nice work on what sounds like years of diplomacy and patience. Yes - stuff was aging in place in the meantime but it seems you gained the trust and confidence of the family and were able to make things happen when the call came.

This is a good lesson for all of us.

Wesley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:28 pm 

Update on the M&W:
In answer to the question on the DM&IR #221 parts, we found most of the appliances from the engine. Pop valves, injectors, air pump, reverser, dynamos, lubricator, the turret, and headlight. The only problem was that thieves hit the site Saturday and stole the two injectors, a dynamo, the turret, a Baker car heater, and a GN switchstand. On Sunday they also stole about 3 tons of rail.

On Tuesday, we loaded the remaining parts, along with #5's saddle tank and oil tank and a coal chute. They were unloaded Wednesday at the museum. If the asbestos abatement people finish their work on time, we will load #5 on the 11th and unload at Colfax the next day. We have already moved the Milwaukee Road refrigerator car to the museum.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:20 pm 

Herb -

Congrats! Photo of the Milwaukee Road reefer in Colfax would be nice.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:12 pm 

Here's a photo of #5 ready to move.

Attachments:
001.JPG
001.JPG [ 291.23 KiB | Viewed 8808 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:02 pm 

Herb -

Looking REAL good!

Les

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:32 am 

The best laid plans....
Mother Nature has raised her head with 8-12 inches of snow forecast for Monday/Tuesday. The load out of #5 will be on hold until there is a solid freeze to get rid of the current mud and the upcoming snow can be plowed. We will also have to wait for cranes, due to sand mine seasonal shutdowns. Maybe late November/early December.

Herb Sakalaucks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:27 am 

Herb,

What is the plan to move #471? Will you move it in three pieces the way Don brought it into his place originally?

I am sorry to hear about the recent thefts. I suspect that, as usual, the site becomes more of a target as it is dismantled with the equipment being removed. I don’t know how much trouble Don had with that over the years, but he seemed to maintain a presence that kept intruders out with his dogs and his signs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:38 am 

The 471 was supposed to move LAST winter. That's why we haven't moved #5 until now. The family wanted the site cleared by the end of November, but there are still the 2 steamers, 2 cabooses, 2 metal passenger cars, a flatcar, the tender , the RS shell, and a boxcar to be moved.

As to the thefts, we're probably looking at some rail slobs that have a shopping list of needed items. Too much heavy scrap has been bypassed to get to the railroad items. If anyone hears of a 2' gauge, roughly 5' long brick car frame being offered for sale, please contact me.
Herb Sakalaucks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:48 pm 

So can anyone talk to me about the SOO caboose that is Ex-DL&W? It doesn't look familiar, not Kaiser Valley for sure.

Is it still available ?

SixAxleAlco

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:27 pm 

Gone to a new home in the local area. Samegentleman also bought the other two cabooses.

Herb