It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: B&M #3713 Restoration Thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:44 am 

Hi RYPN'ers,

If any of you are riding the Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society Holiday Trains from Scranton to Moscow Nov 28, 29 or Dec 6 make sure you check in with the L&WV NRHS team at the Moscow station and ask about the latest "America's Locomotive" fundraising programs, including a very interesting raffle to benefit #3713. Of course, #3713 souvenirs will be on sale there, too.

More Project3713 news will be coming soon.

Rob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:20 pm 

This #3713 restoration is incredible. Have watched it only a little as I am not a "BIG steam" guy. I am more drawn to smaller steam. In talking with Gary about the work done on this and how some of it was done, made me come back and take another look. Once again I am impressed with the work going into the boiler/firebox. Yet another outstanding restoration on the way back upwards. Congrats and best wishes to all involved. I need to get out east to the Steamtown shops and witness this at least once.

Regards, John.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:56 am 

Rob, anxious to see the next updates. Looking forward to seeing more progress on the firebox.

It is interesting to note that after decades of no representation, New England will soon have two main line steam representatives in service with the MEC 470 and B&M 3713, both 4-6-2 Pacifics.

Rob Gardner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:22 am 

Rob, that hasn't escaped our attention either. I'm certain these two Pacifics stood adjacent at North Station on occasion. New England Steam is very happy to see progress on the big Boston & Maine "Constitution".

Post subject: Re: B&M #3713 Restoration Thread OT Last 4-6-2
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:39 pm 

The ten Reading G-3's were built in 1948.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:21 am 

Uh, that was off topic. Anyways, I'm a larger steam engine guy, and I usually love bigger engines. But this engine is my 2nd favorite 4-6-2 (Behind B&O President Washington). Back on topic. I love what you guys are doing, and you guys will have lots of progress this year with the completion of Baldwin 26. Good luck to you guys from this Steamguy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:49 pm 

Honestly their website leaves a lot to be desired. No updates, no current news, limited information about who is doing the work, where they are at in the process etc. They really should take a long hard look at what the folks restoring the 2926 are doing. Up to date info, progress reports, fundraising efforts, contributors etc. Could be collecting a lot more donations and speeding up restoration progress if they followed their lead.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:19 pm 

Finderskeepers wrote:
Honestly their website leaves a lot to be desired. No updates, no current news, limited information about who is doing the work, where they are at in the process etc. They really should take a long hard look at what the folks restoring the 2926 are doing. Up to date info, progress reports, fundraising efforts, contributors etc. Could be collecting a lot more donations and speeding up restoration progress if they followed their lead.

Honestly, it's probably because not much has been happening. By all accounts, things will be really picking up once 26 is finished, because Steamtown will be taking a much larger role in the work. Patience. The new super has publicly stated the park needs at least 4 operating steam locomotives; hopefully she backs up her words, and quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:22 pm 

Baldwin 26 just needs testing, and she's done. Excessive work is going to go into 3713 this year. Did you guys see how much got done to 26 last year?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:03 pm 

"Baldwin 26 just needs testing", slow down a bit and look at the reports for the 26. The 26 needs the pistons, valves, valve gear, and main rods installed and timed, the jacket still needs to be applied, the brake rigging needs to be applied and then some shakedown runs. It should be completed before the season starts in April, as their old faithful diesel the 514 is getting some much needed attention this winter. New 645 power assemblies, main generator overhaul, rebuilt air compressor and many other new and rebuilt systems.

Mike Tillger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:29 am 

Whoops, didn't know that. They did steam tests last month, so I assumed it just needed testing. Still, that's not too much to handle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:13 pm 

Hi RYPN'ers,

The new Project 3713 website launched today. URL is the same: http://project3713.com/.

Of note is the latest newsletter and fundraising activities.

If you are at the West Springfield, MA show next weekend be sure to stop by the Project #3713 booth. You'll find members of the team at our spot in The Better Living Center at booth 40 D-E.

All the best,

Rob Davis
Co-Chairman
Project 3713

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:35 pm 

That is a great update. This is going to be an exciting year for the Town of Steam.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:48 pm 

This website is amazing! Only ones that could compare is the 2926, and Union Pacific ones

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:37 pm 

Steamguy73 wrote:
This website is amazing! Only ones that could compare is the 2926, and Union Pacific ones

Thank you. It was a fun project. We had a good foundation and content from the prior years. A few friends in the web design and rail preservation fields (and one in both) did some beta testing and gave great feedback The site is responsive, meaning it adapts to look OK on any size screen from phone to TV. Some design tweaks are coming to make that slicker.

Of course, a website is like a model railroad, it is never done. We have more content to add and there are a few technical improvements to be made to optimize things. We found some last minute limitations of our hosting service that caused some grief, including blocking us from some implementing best practices that are important in the grand scheme of things, but those will be overcome.

It is living site, so expect updates and news throughout the rest of the restoration process.

Rob

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next