It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WANTED: Passenger Car Photos (Slides or Negatives)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:26 am 

I am currently looking to acquire passenger car photos. Here are some specifics and further details:

Passenger cars in the U.S., Canada, or Mexico.

Sleepers, baggage or mail, coaches/chairs, domes, diners, lounges/parlors, business cars, instruction cars, etc.

Both heavyweight and lightweight cars (built pre-Amtrak). I'm not as interested in photos of the modern era lightweights built for commuter operations, mass transit, or VIA/Amtrak (see below). However, photos of classic era commuter cars would be welcome, for example, anything from the LIRR MP54's to the pre-Metra gallery cars (up to and including photos of the Budd gallery cars built in the 1970's using public subsidies).

Cars as owned by the Class 1 railroads (executive/specials, stored, or MofW), regionals/shortlines, traction companies (streetcars, cable cars, and interurbans), excursion lines/dinner trains, "land cruise" operators (ex: AOE, Auto Train), circus companies, private individuals/private varnish, museum collections, narrow gauge (WP&Y, D&SNG, C&TS, etc.), cog railways (ex: Pikes Peak, Mt. Washington), commuter agencies/mass transit districts, VIA Rail/Amtrak (see below). Please, no photos of theme park trains.

I'm particularly interested in photos of Pullman heavyweight cars, either as owned by Pullman before 12/31/1948, or after sale to the various railroads; as railroad owned, this would include photos of cars in service, retired, or transferred to MofW. Also, any photos of the surviving Pullman heavyweights as discussed in the long-running thread would be welcome.

Regarding cars as owned by Amtrak, at this time I'm interested in the Heritage Fleet, either as steam heated or head end power, with a preference for photos taken during the first decade or so of the company's existence, from 1971 through to the end of steam heat in 1982/1983. Photos of HEP converted cars operating from the 1980's onward would be welcome as well.

Regarding cars as owned by VIA Rail, I'd prefer photos of ex-CN or ex-CP cars, not so much the modern "Renaissance" equipment (I'd also be intererested in photos of the Hawker Siddeley "Tempo" cars).

With the recent purchase of an Epson V550 scanner, I can digitally scan processed slides and negatives, the scanner came with holders for 35mm slides, and for negatives, either 35mm or medium format. Photos do not have to be taken in "perfect conditions", the scanner software is capable of fixing over/underexposure, color loss/temperature, and scratches/dust.

In regards to what usages I have in mind for any purchased photos, besides aiding in my own passenger car research, if the seller gives specific permission to do so, these photos would be uploaded to RR Picture Archives in high-medium resolution, both for public viewing and for posting (as embedded images and/or linked URLs) in RYPN forum threads for which the photo(s) would be relevant.

Please, if anyone here is interested in selling me photos, please send a PM or email, including a return email address so we may discuss terms and pricing.