It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Preserved B units?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:46 pm 

News today on Trains Wire is that Erie Mining B units are scrap, but some cab units are preserved. Which has me thinking, does anyone have a preserved/operating AB set?

Post subject: Re: Preserved B units?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:33 pm 

The Lake Superior Railroad Museum has Erie Mining Company F9A #4211 and F9B #4222. The Museum was interested in trying to salvage parts from the scrapped units in question but was ultimately unsuccessful. Best of luck to whomever purchased 4210 and 4214.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:10 am 

I had heard last night that Indiana Boxcar had purchased the 2 A's, although I can't confirm it just yet.

Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:16 pm 

Does the old PB boiler car from the Denver Ski Train still exist? Or any other PB's? Sure would make a nice companion for Doyle's PA.

Pity not more of these unsung helpers are not preserved. Speaking of which, are any hood B units in preservation?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:43 am 

The ex-D&RGW PB #253 still exists in highly-modified form. It is in operation as HEP generator car #78 for the Algoma Central tourist railway operation. There's very little Alco DNA left in it though, it rides on EMD Blomberg trucks and of course there is no prime mover. I think even the original portholes on the side panels are gone by now. There are no A-1-A PA trucks remaining in existence to put back under it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:12 pm 

I thought one account had Doyle getting 3 pairs of Erie-built trucks. Was it only two pairs?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:43 pm 

filmteknik wrote:
I thought one account had Doyle getting 3 pairs of Erie-built trucks. Was it only two pairs?

It was 3, but the main castings had obvious visible damage on the third set. I'm not sure if they're economical to repair or not.

CD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:37 am 

All is not lost with the Erie Mining B-unit scrapings. There is a very nice 16-645-CE sitting under a tarp not too far from me that will wind up in a Southern Railway GP-7 in place of a 16-567-BC that is at the end of its railroading career. Other components went to similar situations, and the former owner had select pieces harvested for other cab unit projects.

...and yes the remaining two A-units went to IBCX

ETA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:17 pm 

I'm sure everyone knows about the A-B-A set operating for the Keokuk Junction Railway (Pioneer Railcorp) -- the B unit having recently been repainted to match the A units.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:34 pm 

The Aberdeen Carolina & Western owns a one B-units (ex-OHCR 1004, exx-ORHS 781, exxx-BN, nee-NP 7014C) to go with their two A-units that were acquired from Ohio Central but I do not know what the owner's plans are for them as of yet. They also had a second B-unit, F9B VLIX 817 (ex-ORHS, exx-BN, nee-NP 7004B) I suspect that they have been moved to the new shop complex down at Candor, N.C., but have little to go on at present. Here's a couple of links to shots of these unit...

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3272750
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2279982

A third B-unit, converted by the CNW to a HEP car, also is on the roster, but what yet may lay ahead for this unit remains uncertain. Here is a shot of this car...

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=619573

Passenger Car Photo Index Updated 8/9/17 with 8,402 new links

Interurban Car Photo Index
PCC Car Photo Index

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:26 pm 

rlsteam wrote:
I'm sure everyone knows about the A-B-A set operating for the Keokuk Junction Railway (Pioneer Railcorp) -- the B unit having recently been repainted to match the A units.

The B-unit also got a rebuilt main generator. I would encourage those who may want these locomotives to be making plans now for acquiring these locomotives, even if they stay in service for the next 10 years. Better to have a plan in place if changes happen then to suddenly wake up to them being sold to the highest bidder.

On the original question,

Illinois Railway Museum has BN1 and BN2 preserved as a pair, There is also a MILW F7B out in the back lot that could be paired with the 118C as a MILW pair.

Monticello Railway Museum has a A-B pair of CN FPA4/FPB4, though privately owned.

Restoration website

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:44 pm 

I'm not sure how far along the rebuild is but between the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society and Tri-State Chapter NRHS there will be an A-B-A set of two F3s and the F7B (?) once the B unit is out of the shop.

How many E B units are out there?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:38 pm 

Some research I did a few years ago seemed to indicate that the other set of A-1-A "Erie Built" trucks with the damaged journal boxes are no longer in existence.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:10 pm 

ns2110 wrote:
I'm not sure how far along the rebuild is but between the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society and Tri-State Chapter NRHS there will be an A-B-A set of two F3s and the F7B (?) once the B unit is out of the shop.

It is indeed an F7B.

Built in November 1950 as B&M #4268B (Order #6150, Frame #6150-B2, Serial #12383). Like the 2 F3A's, the F7B was formerly painted as CNJ (was it #56D or #57D?)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:15 am 

Quote:
Illinois Railway Museum has BN1 and BN2 preserved as a pair, There is also a MILW F7B out in the back lot that could be paired with the 118C.

Is BN3 still able to run with both BN1 & BN2 or did something happen to it causing it to not run properly? As the last time I it running was this year's diesel days pushing the CNW Bilevels.