It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cotton Belt from Malden, Mo to Wyatt, MO
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:50 pm 

I'm a bit old but new to RPN. I've always loved railroads, the locomotives and about everything they pulled. I collect HO scale RR models and have started to put together a collection about the Cotton Belt short line that ran to from Malden, MO to Wyatt, MO. I grew up about 2 miles south of Wyatt. My Dad raised cotton which was ginned in Wyatt and the bales were shipped (I believe) to Malden, then on the main line to Memphis. Before I was born my mother would ride the Cotton Belt (I believe a transfer caboose) from Wyatt to Lilbourn,with six of my siblings, to visit her Mom and Dad. I think her train rides to Lilbourn took place somewhere between 1936 to 1942 - 43. The best info I have been able to find is a photo (1962) posted on RR pictures. net of a Cotton Belt transfer caboose number 2304 and Locomotive 1024, and some info on that car from this site. From what I remember as a kid in the early to late 50's, the locomotive then might have been a Baldwin VO1000...or a Baldwin DS-4-4-1000...but I'm not sure....and I have no information what locomotive would have been in service (Wyatt to Malden) from 1936 to 1943. Also not sure if 2304 was the car used during that same time frame. So, if there is anyone that can help me with the information I would be grateful.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Cotton Belt from Malden, Mo to Wyatt, MO
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:08 pm 

Get on the facebook group "St. Louis Southwestern/Cotton Belt Railway" if you can. A lot of folks there are pretty up to speed on the SSW there. Ed Cooper on that group knows a ton about the 'Ol Cotton belt.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:13 pm 

Thanks, I will check that out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:01 am 

I've been researching Birds Point and Wyatt for a couple of years now. The gusher of oil that Fred Frailey writes about on page 22 of his Blue Streak Merchandise book is what intrigues me. I've proved the gusher of oil from Texas and Louisiana to Malden during WW2. After the oil tank cars got to Malden things would slow down on the A Branch because of light rail, light locomotives and short passing sidings. Quite a bit of A Branch history can be gleaned from ETTs and Special Instructions. Photos are rare. And any kind of mention of the oil trains to Wyatt, or the pipeline from Wyatt to Birds Point are like hens teeth. If you find anything on the net I put it there.

Ed Cooper in Kentucky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:20 am 

Multiple photos of Wyatt have been posted to the Cotton Belt Facebook Group. The photos show what little remains in Wyatt. And the remnants of the oil terminal south of Birds Point has been explored. What really is needed now are photos, diagrams, train orders, anything to document the oil trains. The October 1942 employee time table shows 10 northbound freight movements into Wyatt and 10 southbound freight movements out of Wyatt each week.