It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flying Yankee Restoration
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:13 pm 

I used to get email updates on this project. It's been a while and their website seem to be out of date. Is this project still underway?

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

Post subject: Re: Flying Yankee Restoration
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:39 pm 

I have not heard of much activity since the weatherization project that was done to seal up the cars because of the tent deteriorating.

Yes, the website says "No events scheduled yet". And that was for 2014.

PC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:45 am 

I visited the Flying Yankee in the fall of 2013. The trainset is in a covered building and is protected from the elements. Much restoration work has been done with a completed section in the front half of the second car. The last car was still being structurally rebuilt, but was completely enclosed. The locomotive section has been stabilized but not yet restored. By no means is this artifact being allowed to slowly deteriorate. The work is very slow because of very minimal funding and only a small number of volunteers doing the work. I was unable to see the undercarriage, so I can't comment about that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:23 pm 

I gave them $10 grand at the beginning of the project, and have not heard from them in three years. Hmmmmmm!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:36 am 

About a year ago I read on railroad.net that it had been locked up in a shed, more or less abandoned till enough money and interest becomes available.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:20 pm 

The Flying Yankee is NOT abandoned or forgotten. Nor is it being allowed to slowly deteriorate into the ground. It is sheltered in a well located and accessible soft-sided building at the Hobo Railroad in Lincoln, NH. There are regular guided tours of the train and funds are actively solicited. It is being restored as funds and volunteer labor become available. The generator is there as is most of the control wiring, but the prime mover is missing. It may never move, or it may be restored to operation. Only time will tell. The biggest single disadvantage to the Flying Yankee is its location. Lincoln is a beautiful mountain community, but small and far from anything. The folks who care for it also care ABOUT it and are doing the best they can with the resources they have. It is owned by the State of New Hampshire, so if anyone has a better idea of how to handle a restoration, you need to talk to the state. Don't complain about it unless you are willing to get involved.

For the record, I live in Minnesota, 1500 miles from Lincoln, NH, and am NOT involved with the Flying Yankee in any way. Except that I visited, was impressed, and left a donation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:12 am 

Here are a few photos that I took when I visited in the fall of 2013. The first is the completed coach section. The second is the engine compartment, sans engine. The third is the outside of the shelter.

Attachments:
FY-4.jpg
FY-4.jpg [ 50.5 KiB | Viewed 7736 times ]
FY-2.jpg
FY-2.jpg [ 54.43 KiB | Viewed 7736 times ]
FY-1.jpg
FY-1.jpg [ 206.51 KiB | Viewed 7736 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:15 am 

Here are a few more photos. First is the operator's cabin. Second is a view of the interior of the front of the third car. The last is the boat tail observation section of the last car.

Attachments:
FY-3.jpg
FY-3.jpg [ 41.89 KiB | Viewed 7735 times ]
FY-6.jpg
FY-6.jpg [ 65.69 KiB | Viewed 7735 times ]
FY-5.jpg
FY-5.jpg [ 58.67 KiB | Viewed 7735 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:45 am 

If nothing else, it's clearly not rusting away.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:27 am 

I noticed the controller--looks like something from an interurban car. I guess that was what they had in the early 1930s.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:15 pm 

The controller looks to (me) be virtually if not identical to that of a G.E. 44 tonner right down to the reverser that is not much more than an open ended wrench.

Cheers, Jason