It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steam Locomotive Technical Meetings
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:47 am 

The Engineering Standards Committee for Steam Locomotives, Inc., and National Board Inspection Code Subgroup for Locomotive Boilers are holding their annual meetings Tuesday through Thursday in Columbus, March 24th - 26th at the National Board Headquarters.

Topics of discussion include fillet-welded staybolts, MU control of diesel locomotives from steam locomotives, and more.

Meetings start around 8am and public participation is welcome.

Post subject: Re: Steam Locomotive Technical Meetings
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:49 am 

I apologize for how late this announcement is.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:54 am 

if someone goes, give us an update, I wonder whats up with the MU control, obviously its been done, if there are technical changes etc..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:34 am 

It's been said that one should not have dynamics on an MU remote because one cannot read the current. I believe the boxes built by EMD omitted dynamics for that reason. Not being an engineer, I don't know if there is a need to see the current other than preventing damage for motors and grids. If in fact that is the case, then perhaps when boxes are used with modern power where computers monitor everything, that may no longer be in issue.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:32 pm 

A good engineer can "feel" what's going on with his locomotive and his train.

He doesn't need to be able to watch a dial.

The "weekend warrior" type of "engineer" is a different matter.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:26 pm 

filmteknik wrote:
It's been said that one should not have dynamics on an MU remote because one cannot read the current. I believe the boxes built by EMD omitted dynamics for that reason. Not being an engineer, I don't know if there is a need to see the current other than preventing damage for motors and grids. If in fact that is the case, then perhaps when boxes are used with modern power where computers monitor everything, that may no longer be in issue.

how could the mu work on all the older systems if that is the case, you need an operator on every engine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:37 pm 

The reason for the topic in ESC is to record the technical details and design theory of the system while first-hand data and knowledge are available. The system was dreamed-up by Doyle McCormack and led through EMD by Jack Wheelihan. Bruce R. Meyer, supervisor in the EMD Engineering Control Group, who did much of the design, has now passed-on.

filmteknik - The short answer is the lack of positive mechanical interlock from keeping the operator from changing into DB while still operating in the power mode. A detailed explanation is what we are formulating from the designers and principle users of the system.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:14 pm 

Like the steam locomotive yo need operators on each engine, the MU solves that, but N&W experimented with auto firing and thats all pre-computer. Dynamic braking is used on all electric engines and diesels have to use a resistance grid to work the dynamic braking, and you still couldnt have operators on each engine to read currents as even pre-computers they figured out how to deal with it with electronics, why MU was possible. The ACE 1000 would be MU capable, thats the whole point of MUing so you don't need operators on each engine, the engine was self sustaining-debugging, new or old system computer or no computer.

Aside from all these labor saving devices to profitiize the shareholders more, a steam engine is simply fun to run...8-P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:57 pm 

No, you don't need "operators" on each locomotive.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:05 pm 

Lincoln Penn wrote:
No, you don't need "operators" on each locomotive.

I think I meant double and triple heading steam engines vs MUing diesels.

If steam technology improved and continued steam use I am sure they would have figgerred out the system, like the ACE would have been, it just didnt happen that way, there are examples like that gurgling like the Jawn Henry but the railroads moved on. Jawn Henry and MUing, naw that wasn't in its planes but auto-firing was.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:26 pm 

Dear Jansen

Thank you for posting the meeting schedule. While I was unable to attend I appreciate your effort to tell everyone of their existence. When and where is the next meeting?

Robby Peartree