It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PRR P54 Coaches
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:16 pm 

Philip:

If you get the chance for a second look, let me know if the underside is intact or if it might have been removed during transportation. Thanks!

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:32 pm 

One of my thrills as a youth, was the MPRA fan trip along the Susquahanna River in a train of at least twelve MP-54's. That was a sight to behold. The sound alone was worth the price of the $4 ticket, IIRC.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:46 pm 

Location: Granby, CT but formerly Port Jefferson, NY (LIRR MP 57.5)
Tim Moriarty wrote:
Philip:

If you get the chance for a second look, let me know if the underside is intact or if it might have been removed during transportation. Thanks!

Tim

Hi Tim (and also Richard, who asked the same thing earlier), I should be able to go back for another look sometime this week. Any particular pieces of hardware you want me to look for or take pictures of?

My general impression was the the underside appeared pretty much intact, but I was admittedly paying more attention to the carbody (and corrosion thereon) and trucks.

-Philip Marshall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:19 am 

Philip:

Most of all I'm interested in finding out if the air brake valves are still intact on it, along with everything else on the underside. Thanks!

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:10 pm 

Tim Moriarty wrote:
On this same general topic, the Ashtabula, Carson & Jefferson Railroad, which shut down its excursion operation last year, had two such coaches and the Carthage, Knightstown & Shirley Railroad (shut down in 2013) had one. Is there any word on the fate of the coaches on these lines? I read the latter's seller was hoping to sell the entire operation intact so it could be restarted but that seems very unlikely.

On another thread is the info that one of the AC&J ex-Long Island P54 "Ping Pongs" has ended up on the Walkersville Southern. Any info on the other AC&J cars? Also, what about the P54 that was on the CK&S?

Les

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:12 pm 

Les:

About a year ago Bob Callahan of the AC&J told me two coaches were going to a tourist operation starting on the Buffalo Southern Railroad. The third went to Delta Railroad Construction, and that was the one that the WSRR acquired and shipped to Walkersville for a March 22 arrival.

The coach from the Carthage, Knightstown & Shirley Railroad, No. 7102, reportedly arrived at the Zanesville & Western Scenic Railroad in Ohio via truck on October 25, 2016. Here's a shot from the Z&W's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ZanesvilleWest ... =3&theater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:34 pm 

Tim Moriarty wrote:
Les:

About a year ago Bob Callahan of the AC&J told me two coaches were going to a tourist operation starting on the Buffalo Southern Railroad. The third went to Delta Railroad Construction, and that was the one that the WSRR acquired and shipped to Walkersville for a March 22 arrival.

The coach from the Carthage, Knightstown & Shirley Railroad, No. 7102, reportedly arrived at the Zanesville & Western Scenic Railroad in Ohio via truck on October 25, 2016. Here's a shot from the Z&W's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ZanesvilleWest ... =3&theater

Tim -

Thanks very much for the info on the other two AC&J coaches. And also on CK&S coach number 7102. The photos of the 7102 going to the Zanesville Western were very interesting. In one shot, it appears that the car was in the "Pumpkin Train" sandwiched between an open car and a transfer caboose. But, it appears that there are no windows in the car. Does the Zanesville Western intend to continue to run the car in that configuration, or do they intend to eventually put windows back in?

Addendum - I looked at some of the other photos, and apparently there ARE windows in the 7102. My mistake! Question withdrawn!

Thanks again for "closing the book" on these three P54 coaches.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:18 pm 

I didn't see this MP-54 mentioned:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4230000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:59 am 

I see that 12 cars at 7 locations made it to recent years on the Hicks list. Several of these are slated for scrap.
http://www.bera.org/cgi-bin/pnaerc-query.pl?match_field=type&match_target=MP-54&Tech=Yes&pagelen=200

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:20 pm 

o anderson wrote:
I see that 12 cars at 7 locations made it to recent years on the Hicks list. Several of these are slated for scrap.
http://www.bera.org/cgi-bin/pnaerc-query.pl?match_field=type&match_target=MP-54&Tech=Yes&pagelen=200

Olin -

This thread originally was started by James back in October of 2013 about P54 coaches but it quickly morphed to also include MP54's. I have no problem with that, but have some confusion about which is which when we have talked about them. Perhaps we could get someone to make a list of the P54's and MP54's, so when they are discussed, we know exactly what we are actually talking about. Anyone?

Les