It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interior fittings for SP "Pride of Texas" Coffee Shop/Lounge
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:26 am 

I'm currently doing research for the possible restoration of one of these cars from the 1950 Sunset Limited.

Does anyone know of any surviving interior fittings from these Texas-themed diner/lounges?

Specifically, I'm interested in finding the spur and longhorn wall appliques, the steward's buffet (made by Walrus Mfg. according to the car's plan and seemingly identical to the Audobon Diner's buffet, but in knotty pine) and the lounge and dining tables with the yucca inlay.

I believe that all of these went to Amtrak, but am hoping that somewhere, a few original pieces survive as models for replicating.

Thanks!

Attachments:
PrideofTexas.jpg
PrideofTexas.jpg [ 89.63 KiB | Viewed 3971 times ]

Post subject: Re: Interior fittings for SP "Pride of Texas" Coffee Shop/Lo
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:58 pm 

I have just purchased one of these SP "Pride of Texas" cars from the Whistle Stop Ranch near Tyler Texas and moved it to 9300 Highway 290 West, Austin TX a few weeks ago. There it joins three former Texas Zephyr cars (from 1936 DZ trainset) and one other SP car from the Budd 1950 Sunset Limited consist, a baggage/RPO car along with a number of old railroad and oilfield buildings, all restored for lease to commercial tenants.

For the Pride of Texas car, I have a copy of the Harbeson firm's drawing for Budd/SP of the decorative spur detail which will enable a faithful reproduction of it. The aluminum (?) longhorn steer head detail to go above windows in the cocktail lounge end has proved to be a tougher research subject.

If any reader of this knows where one of the Longhorn heads is located, and would pass word to the owner, I offer $1000.00 to them for the privilege of borrowing it for replication, plus shipping cost both ways, and will handle the shipping arrangements.

A mold can be made and exact replica be cast, without any harm to the original, if one can be located.

Thank you.

- william *at* texasenergylaw *dot* com