It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 3' Narrow Gauge Musuem Liquidating?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:02 pm 

Mark Trebing wrote:
Bobharbison wrote:
Have I forgotten any realistic prospects?.

Pine Creek, White Pass & Yukon, and... Georgetown Loop. Maybe the last possibility is why the advertised price is so high. Just guessing.

Yes, Pine Creek and a few others museums are a possibility I suppose, but I don't know how many realistically have the budget. The museum in Golden is also another obvious choice in that category. I mentioned WP&Y and intentionally left out the Loop as I figured that had already been explored long ago and they couldn't reach terms. I suspect you're right about the pricing reflecting this, but not sure how that helps him if he actually wants to sell.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

Speaking about the cars, and not the locomotives, the problem is that the preservation groups focused on Colorado, particularly the D&RGW, specifically the C&TS, the Durango & Sliverton, The Colorado Railroad Museum, or the Durango group (who own 315) all have lots of freight rolling stock, likely more than they really need, with most of the types listed here already represented...

As for the locomotives... they are not cheap... and will need more work which would not be cheap... I will leave it to others to see if they can write a budget which would support any of these locomotives at the current prices... The most likely candidate is the current Georgetown Loop operation... where they were last used... but that would have its political issues...

Randy

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfNevadaSouthernRailway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:22 pm 

Hi,

The only group that MIGHT want some would be the Tweetsie who's rebuilding a small portion of the line in the Doe River George. I doubt they have the resources for any.

Oddly enough, Six Flags Over Georgia purchased a few ex-D&RGW cars from the scrapper when the park was being built. The ex-D&RGW items (what was left of them) were given to the Tweetsie a few years ago.

Doug vV

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:41 pm 

Totally UNofficial, but The Colorado Railroad Museum is out of room.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:46 pm 

Don't forget the Huckleberry in Michigan and once upon a time it was a real narrow gauge rr.

Bob H

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:53 pm 

Heavenrich wrote:
Don't forget the Huckleberry in Michigan and once upon a time it was a real narrow gauge rr.

Bob H

Let's go to the instant replay Jim...

Quote:
Let's consider the other problem. Who can possibly use them? C&TS, D&SNG, WP&Y, Sumpter Valley, Huckleberry and a few amusement parks.

(Bold added) As they say with Prego Spaghetti Sauce, "It's in there."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:57 pm 

Dougvv wrote:
Hi,

The only group that MIGHT want some would be the Tweetsie who's rebuilding a small portion of the line in the Doe River George. I doubt they have the resources for any.

That's by far the best answer I've seen. However, as you said, they have few resources and the seller seems to have a very high opinion of the items' worth.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:44 pm 

No votes for Dollywood, huh?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:20 pm 

Hi,

You might be right with Dollywood and the park that has Tweetsie's #12 4-6-0 (over near Blowing Rock, NC I think).

Doug vV

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:30 pm 

Bobharbison wrote:
Dougvv wrote:
Hi,

That's by far the best answer I've seen. However, as you said, they have few resources and the seller seems to have a very high opinion of the items' worth.

I agree with you both, having been to the Doe River Gorge more than once, being a huge ET&WNC fan and have donated money to the group working on the Doe River Gorge line. Their track is in really good shape considering what they've had to work with. But a Christian Camp is what pays the bills there, and no way could they possibly afford any of these locos, no matter how badly they'd love to run steam up in the gorge again (having used a loaned locomotive from the defunct Opryland) that was discussed here: http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28744

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:40 am 

Mark Jordan wrote:

I lumped them into the "amusement parks" since the more I thought, the more of those I came up with. Knotts, Dollywood, Tweetsie, Cedar Point, Silverwood heck even Disney. i don't know if any of them are looking for new locos or rolling stock though.

What's the line that has the Retlaw coaches now? They might be a good fit for this.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:44 am 

> Pine Creek, White Pass & Yukon, and... Georgetown Loop. Maybe the last possibility is why the advertised price is so high. Just guessing

Pine Creek? They already have a shay and plenty of 3' rolling stock. They have their own issues to deal with.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:29 am 

Bobharbison wrote:
Mark Jordan wrote:

I lumped them into the "amusement parks" since the more I thought, the more of those I came up with. Knotts, Dollywood, Tweetsie, Cedar Point, Silverwood heck even Disney. i don't know if any of them are looking for new locos or rolling stock though.

What's the line that has the Retlaw coaches now? They might be a good fit for this.

I couldn't imagine Cedar Point being interested in any of it. They've still got 2-4-0 Jenny K out at Knott's Berry Farm waiting for something to be done towards a new boiler for it. 2-8-0s would be too big for the curves, and a Shay too slow for the operation. Also, their operating model uses side-entrance, open-sided coaches, not closed center aisle ones, for their speed of loading and unloading passengers.

Last edited by PaulWWoodring on Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:49 am 

Mark Jordan wrote:

Dollywood wouldn't want the engines because 70 and 192 already have enough trouble handling the 7 car train out of down town, I don't know about freight cars though, i doubt it due to the amount of ridership they have.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:14 pm 

southern154 wrote:
Mark Jordan wrote:

Dollywood wouldn't want the engines because 70 and 192 already have enough trouble handling the 7 car train out of down town, I don't know about freight cars though, i doubt it due to the amount of ridership they have.

Dollywood seems to have all the motive power they need, and pretty strong-pulling stuff with all that former WP&Y power...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next