It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 64 Volt screw base headlights
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:14 pm 

I know the discussion was started before, but it wandered.

Has anyone found a replacement for 64volt screw base headlight bulbs? They are used in most of the single reflector, 12"-16" diameter headlights installed on diesels of the 40's-60's. Newer locomotives use the sealed beam PAR bulbs.

Thanks,
Rich C.

Post subject: Re: 64 Volt screw base headlights
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:59 am 

Try Bulbtronics. They can be found on the web.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:12 pm 

I believe most locomotive headlamps were 32 volts and ran through a resistor. For lamps running directly on the battery, I think most were 72 volt. You should try Aamsco Lighting. They have several train and trolley lamps on their web site, but not the one you want. But talk to them. Often they have lamps in stock that are not on the web site. Last I talked to them they would make anything with an order of 100, but they were not cheep.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:39 pm 

Not sure with Baldwin or ALCOs, but on GE 44 Tonners are 64 volts, measured at the socket, The Replacement parts catalog list the bulbs as: Lamp, Headlight, 250 watt, 60 Volt, A-17 (2.13 diameter, ~4.0 long) inside Frosted bulb, medium screw base.

Rich C.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:45 pm 

You would have to measure the voltage with the lamp in the circuit and on. The description you provided does not sound like a head light. Is that the cab light? The headlight should be clear glass and is usually a G style lamp. The 250 watts sound right, however.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:13 pm 

David,

As I said, It measures 64 volts at the socket.

Looks like I jumped a line as I typed it in: Lamp, Headlight, 250 Watt, 60 Volt, P-25 bulb (3.13 dia, ~5" long), C-5 Filament, Medium Screw Base, 3 in LCL. Which translates to a 250P25CL60V.

The description is from the 44 ton manual I have, see attachment

Attachment:
WP_20141113_06_58_23_Pro sm.jpg

Rich C.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:01 pm 

http://www.specialtybulb.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:07 am 

You might want to try donsbulbs.com. He shows that he had the lamp, but is sold out. He also offers a bulb search service. In reading some of the things on his web site, I think he may have been in design or manufacturing lamps in the past.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:15 am 

Guys,

The bulbs are 32v 250w. Aamsco lighting was having them made and supplying mostly everyone one else out there who was selling them.

Last August I tried to buys some and quickly found out that no one in the US had them and the guys who had old stock were hanging on to them or selling them at a pretty high markup.

After much discussion with Bob from Aamsco and Nate from the Evans Group it looks like bulbs are going to be made, waiting for samples now.

Because it is getting very hard to find a manufacturer of incandescent bulbs, I'd strongly suggest that folks buy some stock once the bulbs become available.

This is is the thread from January about bulbs http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37519&hilit=headlight+bulbs

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:10 am 

When specifying bulbs to operate off diesel loco battery sets you always need to keep in mind the matter of nominal voltage vs. actual voltage. The so-called "32V" battery set will normally sit at about 37.5V when the loco is operating and the battery set fully charged. The corresponding value for "64V" locos is about 75V. That is why some lamps are marked 74V or 75V. Headlights, it appears, are almost always operated with some resistance in the circuit, even on the "bright" setting. On our 25 ton GE at PTM the lamps are marked 200W 30V (sealed beam) so without that resistance the lamps would have a very short life. Other lamps that operate directly from battery voltage are mostly marked 32V or 34V. The headlight resistor in the 25 ton GE has two sections. When on the dim setting both sections are in the circuit. The switch that provides the bright setting cuts out one part of the resistor but the other part remains in the circuit to hold actual lamp voltage to 30V, or thereabouts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:44 am 

Scott,

If these were originally 32V lamps, why would GE specify them in the manuals they sent with the locomotive 60V?

Actually in the 25 & 45 ton manuals for locomotives with 4 batteries (32V) the lamps are called out as 30V, which from what I understand are the same ratings as the dynamo driven headlights on most steamers.

Been looking into doing the trick we have `survived' with so far, 110V bulb, from looking at places a lot of 110V bulbs actually have 130V filaments. Makes sense with the DC bulbs, since they know the voltage will vary between battery and charging circuit, to mark them as producing xxx watts at min voltage, so that if the engine dies they know the batteries will hold out for a while to maintain safety illumination.

Rich C.

Scott Kwiatkowski wrote:
Guys,

The bulbs are 32v 250w. Aamsco lighting was having them made and supplying mostly everyone one else out there who was selling them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:27 pm 

I agree with the bit about resistors in G.E. 44 Ton Diesels with 64 Volts of battery charged at 73.6 Volts and 60 Volt headlights. I reported before that New Hope & Ivyland RR replaced the resistors with those from an E.M.D. Diesel with 64 Volts of battery charged at 73.6 Volts and 32 Volt headlights. Since the Wattage of the replacement bulbs were the same, the Amperage increased, so the circuit breaker would trip if both of the replacement headlights were lit at once.