It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cass Climax amazing progress.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:51 pm 

The msr&lha gang is doing an amazing job. The cab, coal bunker, and water tank have been blasted and painted. The water tank has been mounted to it's truck and the cab and coal bunker are awaiting their turn. Work continues on pistons, steam piping, and other bits and pieces. I believe that the boiler is going to be test-fit to the chassis for the first time on the 25th of this month.
For those of you attending the Cass Railfan Weekend next month, please come by the shop and check out the progress. This engine, thru hard work and determination is heading down the homestretch toward completion.

Attachments:
IMG_6591.JPG
IMG_6591.JPG [ 82.02 KiB | Viewed 6037 times ]
IMG_6590.JPG
IMG_6590.JPG [ 72.56 KiB | Viewed 6037 times ]
IMG_6589.JPG
IMG_6589.JPG [ 67.7 KiB | Viewed 6037 times ]

Post subject: Re: Cass Climax amazing progress.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:53 pm 

A few more pics taken at the shop today.

Attachments:
IMG_6599.JPG
IMG_6599.JPG [ 71.87 KiB | Viewed 6033 times ]
IMG_6598.JPG
IMG_6598.JPG [ 72.18 KiB | Viewed 6033 times ]
IMG_6594.JPG
IMG_6594.JPG [ 74 KiB | Viewed 6033 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:17 pm 

Hi
And amazing change from a basket case, of rusted metal , to a restoration , of a fine locomotive . My hat goes off , to the members of MSR&LHA for their work .

Attachments:
image022.jpg
image022.jpg [ 69.65 KiB | Viewed 5734 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:34 pm 

ahh, nothing a nail gun can't fix...8-P, derelict..hardly...nice work, the usual everything gets hit is the word here. you should have a beautiful looking and running engine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:46 pm 

dinwitty wrote:
ahh, nothing a nail gun can't fix...8-P, derelict..hardly...nice work, the usual everything gets hit is the word here. you should have a beautiful looking and running engine.

I have been following this rebuild for many years through the photos on their website as well as on the Amateur Machinist website. This is a rebuild of epic proportions. Nearly EVERY part has been repaired, rebuilt or made new as close as possible to original specs. The process was often one of industrial archaeology, to discover the compromises and work-arounds done in the past that ultimately resulted in this locomotive's operational demise. And then to go ahead and peel the systems back to their basic parts to ensure that everything was rebuilt on a solid foundation. No half measures with these guys!

These guys have my everlasting respect.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:22 pm 

The day that this engine runs again is getting close enough now that I can almost smell the coal smoke and hear the water simmering in her boiler. I have been involved with this project almost since the restoration was undertaken but unfortunately, I only manage to get to two or three work sessions per year. There is a core group of about a dozen or so men that have been there the last thirteen or fourteen years plugging away. They have not only done the research but have rebuilt every part of this machine to not like new, but better than new condition. These men are to be congratulated and given many "atta-boys"!
For those who are not familiar with this engine's history, it last ran in about 1960. It was purchased by the state of West Virginia and trucked to Cass around 1971 and was in the shop slated for a rebuild. It was in the shop when the fire destroyed the original shop in 1972. It then sat on the Cass "dead line" for another 30 years awaiting it's fate.
It'll be a great day when she's finally under steam and back in service. She's been waiting over 50 years to run again and it'll be a day I don't plan to miss.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:58 pm 

I was just about to ask you whether that was the Climax that had been roasted--thought so, wasn't sure. It's absolutely amazing to see this rebuilt from that poor rusted heap on the dead line.