It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Never Mind Stealing Rail--Now They're Stealing BRIDGES!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:02 pm 

The only way they will do anything to this man is if this bridge belonged to a government agency.

I hired a man to scrap some equipment for me, he was to get part of the proceeds from the sale, but decided he wanted it all. One day when I was not there, he brought in 2 semi trailers and loaded them up and left.

I reported it to the police as stolen property, they investigated. He told them he had my money and would get it to me, that got the police off his back. Four years later, I have yet to see my money. He changed his phone numbers, refuses to sign for certified letters and is in hiding.

Even with giving false statements to police, the prosecutor refuses to do a thing. They tell me to sue him. He is out of state, so that means hiring an out of state attorney.

As an individual, the question is; How much do you spend to get your money back from a deadbeat? Spent thousands on an attorney and maybe get nothing.

So, if this man gets anything, it will be cause he has p****d-off a government agency.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:01 pm 

When dealing with scrappers, you gotta do the homework. Old Pueblo Trolley has one scrapper that we will deal with. He's a local who has an interest in our mission and essentially does it as a favor for us and makes a couple of bucks in the process. We've never had any difficulty with him in the several years we've done business with him. Our last job he had was to scrap several vintage buses that were destroyed at one of our bus yards in a fire. We identified which parts needed to be salvaged and he did a great job cutting those parts out-one cab and a rear door frame being the largest parts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:09 pm 

I keep checking up on this, I havent ignored it.

let me just shoot the bridgehunter info

http://bridgehunter.com/in/lake/bh51551/

now this is an official NICTD document. Everything I have heard NICTD had purchased Monon right of way for the purpose of the Westlake, so its very possible NICTD owned the bridge.

http://www.nictdwestlake.com/pdf/scoping-summary.pdf

This is a new document later than the bridge scrapping, perhaps a re-adjustment of concept? But it looked very possible they could have used the Monon Bascule bridge.
I might write NICTD and see whats up. I havent seen any more info on Morrison...yet...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:28 am 

jim templin wrote:
There is no lower form of industrial life than the itinerant scrapmonger. I have never known one that was above theft and deception.

Ditto. If you let them see, or worse: look at your yard, they will pillage it later, when you are not there to stop them.

They loose their ability to see the difference between junk that they can make some money off of, and hauling it off is what you get out of the deal, and wanted valued private property that you obviously want to keep.

In their careers they progress from whatever they stared from, to becoming brazened thieves that will take everything they can quickly get into their trucks. Someone should write a book about how that happens with every single one of those guys.

Our "paper" archives will be the future railfans only hope. We (yes you too!) should endeavor to preserve all the info needed to allow them 100% accuracy in the building of their recreations.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:01 pm 

Is there any news about what's going to happen to this thief?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:56 pm 

oboyoo...

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-0 ... on-monster

Quote:
The scrapmonger paid about $120 a ton for metal that goes for $300 a ton as scrap.

"I may make a little profit" after expenses, he said. "I'll get to see Miami anyway, see all the women on the beach."

http://www.mypublicnotices.com/NWITimes ... Id=3784199

this seems to be either his company or his home in some tax evasion sale....

if there's any legal anythings going on it must have gone closed door hush hush, its pretty common discussion cannot be public till proceedings end, or if ever.

so there ya goes...I'll keep a poke on it tho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:22 pm 

dinwitty wrote:
oboyoo...

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-0 ... on-monster

Quote:
The scrapmonger paid about $120 a ton for metal that goes for $300 a ton as scrap.

"I may make a little profit" after expenses, he said. "I'll get to see Miami anyway, see all the women on the beach."

http://www.mypublicnotices.com/NWITimes ... Id=3784199

this seems to be either his company or his home in some tax evasion sale....

if there's any legal anythings going on it must have gone closed door hush hush, its pretty common discussion cannot be public till proceedings end, or if ever.

so there ya goes...I'll keep a poke on it tho

Thanks for the update, I was actually trying to find out more information on this myself.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:43 pm 

Theres a distinct group working the NICTD/South Shore west expansion and I shot them an email about if they planned to use that bridge and route, I have ZERO response, that just clues me about what might be happening that something may be up. This bridge destruction is a clear historical devastation that goes down in history. Thats what Morrison has done.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:10 am 

This thread started out showing one span of this bridge destroyed. Was on the internet tonight and found John Feister's photo of the bridge before the dastardly deed:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ataindy/8 ... 792388@N20

As you can read, a rather rare bridge.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:17 pm 

Gang -

Did some additional digging and found this old postcard of the Monon bridge, apparently when it was still configured as a Page bascule lift bridge:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoosier_re ... 92388@N20/

The subject Monon bridge is the one on the right. The other one is the Nickel Plate Road bridge.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:45 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:

Thanks, Les, that's quite interesting. The only other Page bridge in existence is alongside the Stevenson, next to an L station. I've noticed it but never realized it was a rare design -- Chicago is full of lift bridges of all types. It's on an active rail line, and I'm sure it's in no danger of illegal scrapping. Still, maybe I'll try to get pictures of it sometime soon.

Confucius remarked: "There is in the world now really no moral social order at all."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:38 pm 

Randall Hicks wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:

The only other Page bridge in existence is alongside the Stevenson, next to an L station. I've noticed it but never realized it was a rare design -- Chicago is full of lift bridges of all types. It's on an active rail line, and I'm sure it's in no danger of illegal scrapping. Still, maybe I'll try to get pictures of it sometime soon.

Randall -

A picture would be great!

Les

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:06 pm 

Article in today's (7/15/15) Times of Northwest Indiana headlined "Hammond's Monon Bridge has disappeared... not surprisingly". According to the article, Mr. Morrison has come back in and cut up the rest of the bridge. There is a photo with the article, but I can't tell if the steel structure in the river is from the span previously shown in pieces (with the other span still in place), or if it is of the second span.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:33 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Article and photos:

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... bcd7a.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:51 pm 

I would have thought some kind of prosecuting would have happenned, the bridge has become unuseable because of his actions, it would have to be cleared, but someone would have to authorize further work. Unless there were quiet legal proceedings and Morrison directed to remove the bridge we have zero clues, and the news story says otherwise, now it seems Morrison is in total trouble this time. He has no right to state the claim it was abandoned regardless where the ownership laid.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next