It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mid-Continent Auction- Preliminary Report
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:43 am 

Greetings:
A preliminary report from Dennis Daugherty.
Woodward Iron 2-10-0 No. 41 to Dennis Daugherty for Age of Steam Roundhouse, $10K.
Wheel Lathe to Dennis Daugherty for Heber Valley, $5800.
Pullman 10 Section Observation Lounge to Roger Kramer for Illinois Railway Museum, $37K.
Louisiana Long Leaf 2-6-0 No. 2 kit to undisclosed telephone buyer from Illinois, price a bit above scrap.
CN coach to local Bed&Breakfast, $10K.
All the cranes, etc. (including the wrecker) to scrappers at about $75.00/ton.
J.David

Post subject: Re: Mid-Continent Auction- Preliminary Report
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:41 am 

Really good news, especially on #41 going to a very good home, and the wheel lathe going to be used again. The Pullman Obs. going to IRM where it will be well cared for is an excellent outcome.
I had thought that without a live rail connect to the national rail network that the 41 might go to scrap, and am very relieved that it will end up in JJ's warm, dry roundhouse.

Alan

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:59 am 

The auctioneers made it clear that the first few items to be auctioned off were to be saved and not scrapped and local scrap companies were made aware and asked to keep an out out.

Yield not to misfortunes, but advance all the more boldly against them.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:01 am 

I guess railroad cranes aren't worth saving.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:02 am 

What about the AC&Y boxcars?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:12 am 

Exactly which cranes were sold?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:06 pm 

Mopac x105 120 ton wrecker, very good boiler in almost working condition. Had been run about 10 years ago. Was sold to scrapper.

Soo Line 15 ton crane down at pit, sold for scrap.

The potential scrapping of the cranes makes me ill. But if anybody is interested I am sure the scrappers would be willing to sell them at a profit? I heard and it may not be reliable that the MOPAC wrecker sold for $4500 ? I think the air pump and steam water pump would of been worth near that much? Oh well all over but the crying now.

American diesel powered American 30 ton{?} not on property. Not sure who bought this one or for how much.

One AC&Y box car sold. $800.

A lot of smaller collectable stuff sold well from my perspective. But much of the rolling stock was give away prices. A great day to buy if you got the money to move the stuff! The good news is the Woodward #41, Mt Harvard and the wheel lathe will go to good homes. As far as raising money for restoration work at the museum, after the auctioneer company gets its cut and the effort I am not convinced it was a great day as far as the large items. But truly the bright spot is the equipment will go to good homes and for this I am happy. Congrats to the buyers. If I can be any help at all email me back channel, I might know where some parts of the LCLC #2 might be and will help secure {with permission of the powers that be}.

Regards, John.

Thanks Dennis correction made on pricing.

Last edited by John Risley on Sun May 03, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:21 pm 

Thanks for the crane information John. What can you tell me about the American? It was never manetioned on the Mid-Continent web site and I have nothing on it.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:24 pm 

Some corrections :
Woodward Iron #41 $10.000. to Age of steam Roundhouse locomotive will be disassembled for movement probably by truck to Sugarcreek of the next few months
Louisiana Cypress # $11,500.
Mt Harvard Car $27,200. to IRM
Canadian Nation ex Sleeper Car $7000.
Minnesota transfer Caboose $1700
American locomotive crane $2500 to scraper
MPX 105 crane $4500 to scraper
Wheel lathe $4600 to Heber Valley
Former CNW 1385 tender $2400 to Scrapper
AC&Y Box Car $800 to scrapper
Dennis Daugherty paid for Woodward Iron #41 and Wheel lathe but to be reimbursed by the owners
All prices does not include the auction buyer premium of 10% extra to the bid price

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:59 pm 

Can't help much John T with info on the American crane. Was going to ask around some but never did. I know about 8-10 years ago a member or two bought a similar crane from auction at North Fondulac. Then the money for purchase was donated and MC owned this crane. If memory is correct CN sold off some non standard equipment from Wisconsin Central buy out? The crane had sat for a few years and needed a little TLC but was in overall good shape. This crane then went on loan or lease {not sure about how this all came about} to Wis Southern who used it and were supposed to go through it mechanically, put new cable on it and repaint it. In turn they got to use it. I would ask Dave B. about it and it was in use last I knew doing bridge work. Again please don't quote me on this being real accurate but it is as I recall. My recollection is challenged at times. So I am not sure but the pictures sure looked like the crane from N. Fondulac when it was still at MC after the cable was removed and before being repainted. I never saw it again after it left MC. I sincerely do not know if this crane auctioned off was the same one or a parts machine? I never got the skinny on it. Maybe Pete D. can help out as he might know for sure. Regards, John.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:36 pm 

Thanks John. What you remembor sort of dovetails with what I have found. The crane seems to be Wisconsin Central #9402, a 25 ton American. Now if we can connect the dots.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:19 pm 

Last edited by rock island lines on Mon May 04, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:20 pm 

Why are cranes considered to be pretty much worthless these days?

A 120 ton wreck crane sold for $4500? It wasn't worth that much to have on the grounds, even as a display? I understand that it's harder and harder to certify the old cranes, the age of the boom comes into question, the cables need replaced, they don't have the right safety gear, etc. etc. But it seems a shame that some of them can't be preserved.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:49 pm 

Bobharbison wrote:
Why are cranes considered to be pretty much worthless these days?

But it seems a shame that some of them can't be preserved.

I can think of three that have been preserved and in recent years have been operated

one's in Prince George, BC, one's in Ely, and there's one at the Henry Ford in Michigan.

They aren't allow to lift things with the one in Prince George, but the other two have.

Bob H

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:24 pm 

Even if it can't lift things for any of the numerous safety and certification reasons, it would seem like a crane that is local to the area would be worth saving as a historical artifact and display. Does everything have to run? Less than $5K and already on site, seems like it would have been worth saving to me. It would be even cooler to have it operate, but I can see that getting expensive. It appears to me that it represents a part of railroading that isn't overly well preserved, so even a display piece would be worthwhile.