It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: NC&StL box car/Flying Duchess 0-6-0T from England/KRM
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:07 am 

Just a point or two of clarification to previous statements I have made. I need to make some corrections. The L&N M-1 class plate was owned by a KRM member who was auctioning it off to raise money for the museum. The museum still has their plate. However, the museum was trying to auction off on eBay items such as builders plate, and other small artifacts from the collection to raise cash.

There has been an annual report available to members, but it isn't mailed out. It has been available for several years.

I apologize for these two instances of inaccuracy.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:52 pm 

After several delays, the NC&StL boxcar arrived at Southern Appalachia Railway Museum in Oak Ridge today. It appears that it is going to require some amount of truck and brake work to be made moveable on its own wheels. It also appears that it was originally NC&StL 20156. I'll see if I can get some pictures to post.

On a related SARM note, I think they have a Tennessee Central steel caboose set to arrive later in the week.

ETA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:44 pm 

etalcos wrote:
After several delays, the NC&StL boxcar arrived at Southern Appalachia Railway Museum in Oak Ridge today. It appears that it is going to require some amount of truck and brake work to be made moveable on its own wheels. It also appears that it was originally NC&StL 20156. I'll see if I can get some pictures to post.

ETA

ETA -

Great news that the car arrived at SARM. And thanks for the information on the actual NC&StL car number. Look forward to seeing your photos.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:28 am 

Great news! As a wood-car rebuild and only 36' long, it has to be fairly rare amongst surviving steam-era boxcars.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:27 pm 

etalcos wrote:

On a related SARM note, I think they have a Tennessee Central steel caboose set to arrive later in the week.

ETA

ETA -

The recent news (and thread) about NC&StL PS-1 boxcar #22524 going to the Cowan Railway Museum got me to wondering about this NC&StL boxcar that moved to SARM back in February. I wonder if you might now have a photo or two of NC&StL boxcar 20156 there at the museum? I looked on the SARM website and couldn't seem to find anything about it.

Thanks.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:58 pm 

Les,

Southern Appalachia Railway Museum does have a sometimes decent facebook page and I think there are some good pix there. On a related note, CFWR in McMinnville has a storage box car, less trucks, that I'd bet is out of this car series also.

ETA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:53 pm 

ETA -

Thanks. I was able to find 4 photos on the SARM Facebook page, including the truck bolster showing the faded 20156 road number.

Hard to believe that another car from this series (originally a wood bodied car) also still exists! Maybe someone who wanders by McMinnville might take a photo and post it here to RyPN.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:27 pm 

Here are three photos taken on April 12, 2012 at La Grange just west of the depot site. This is near the former junction of the branchline that connected at this point. A one block walk from the center of the street running.

Dale Brown

Attachments:
La Grange, KY sign web_0194.JPG
La Grange, KY sign web_0194.JPG [ 61.36 KiB | Viewed 10139 times ]
La Grange, KY. o-6-0t web_0192.JPG
La Grange, KY. o-6-0t web_0192.JPG [ 64.5 KiB | Viewed 10141 times ]
La Grange, KY. 0-6-0t web_0193.JPG
La Grange, KY. 0-6-0t web_0193.JPG [ 62.95 KiB | Viewed 10141 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:41 pm 

Here is three more photos from La Grange, KY. Two photos of CSX freight eastbound towards Cincinnati and the depot. The depot has been moved away from the ROW and is still next to the tracks.

Attachments:
La Grange, KY. L&N depot web_0205.JPG
La Grange, KY. L&N depot web_0205.JPG [ 58.92 KiB | Viewed 10138 times ]
La Grange, KY CSX EB in street web_0181.jpg
La Grange, KY CSX EB in street web_0181.jpg [ 36.59 KiB | Viewed 10138 times ]
La Grange, KY sreet running CSX EB_web0219.jpg
La Grange, KY sreet running CSX EB_web0219.jpg [ 40.37 KiB | Viewed 10138 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:11 am 

I feel like I have to ask, but is there anything new regarding the Flying Duchess? I did attempt to use the website, but that link is dead. And I can't find any recent updates in normal communication avenues either. Did the restoration project just fizzle out?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:19 am 

Hello i currently work at the KRM and whould be happy to answer question about the roster rolling stock etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:53 am 

daylight4449 wrote:
I feel like I have to ask, but is there anything new regarding the Flying Duchess? I did attempt to use the website, but that link is dead. And I can't find any recent updates in normal communication avenues either. Did the restoration project just fizzle out?

Dylan -

I did a bit of searching and found out that the group is apparently still very active. Try this site:

http://www.lagrangerailroadmuseum.org/

If you check the Photo Gallery section, you will find out that they have secured an old heavyweight diner and also a bay window (ex-L&N?) caboose. They also talk in their News section about doing some work on the 0-6-0T.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:51 am 

etalcos wrote:
According to the stenciling, the car was built 1-13 and rebuilt 8-39. The one truck sideframe that I can see a date on is dated 1929.

Nickf renewed this thread yesterday and I commented above on the "Flying Duchess" and the group at La Grange, Kentucky that now owns her. Then I started looking at some of the other stuff on this thread and realized that there were a number of different subjects brought up (what new?)! The other subject of the original thread besides the 0-6-0T was the NC&StL box car. The car was supposedly saved and was going to be moved to the Southern Appalachia Railway Museum in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. There was also some question about the road number on the car which was 20000. This was apparently put on the car when it was first preserved as the "class number" of the cars which were numbered 20000-21230. I looked on the museums Facebook page and found that yes, the car did arrive in Oak Ridge back in February of 2012. When it was off its trucks, the actual number of the car was found. It is NC&StL #20156. I've captured a couple of photos from this move and will, hopefully, be able to post them here. Which should take care of a couple of loose ends on this thread.

Les

Attachments:
NC&StL box car 20156 unloading.jpg
NC&StL box car 20156 unloading.jpg [ 10.53 KiB | Viewed 9482 times ]
NC&StL box car 20156.jpg
NC&StL box car 20156.jpg [ 38.14 KiB | Viewed 9482 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:28 pm 

Rather an old thread, but I do have some good news. The KRM is taking an upward path to preservation. They are currently repairing #152 to start with. A private owner has bought the Pearl River and plans to restore it for the museum. The museum also plans to repaint 2572 and 2554, as well as put the Mt. Broderick and #1603 combine back into service within a year or two. They've also traded two Baldwin Whitcomb switchers for an Ex-Reading GP-7 that is being painted into the L&N livery. There is also a community group in the process of trying to raise money to restore either E6a #770 or 0-8-0 #285 (L&N 2152). I'm working on a website to provide up to date info on the history of cars, provide a complete roster, and tell the status of each piece. It's not done but here is a link: http://krmfansite.doodlekit.com/home/index

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:25 pm 

SwadeTrainz wrote:
Rather an old thread, but I do have some good news. The KRM is taking an upward path to preservation. They are currently repairing #152 to start with. A private owner has bought the Pearl River and plans to restore it for the museum. The museum also plans to repaint 2572 and 2554, as well as put the Mt. Broderick and #1603 combine back into service within a year or two. They've also traded two Baldwin Whitcomb switchers for an Ex-Reading GP-7 that is being painted into the L&N livery. There is also a community group in the process of trying to raise money to restore either E6a #770 or 0-8-0 #285 (L&N 2152). I'm working on a website to provide up to date info on the history of cars, provide a complete roster, and tell the status of each piece. It's not done but here is a link: http://krmfansite.doodlekit.com/home/index

1. How much money does KRM still owe the bank? According to the 2013 IRS Form 990, it was still over $500,000.00.
2. Are donors told that their secure donations are subject to a security agreement filed by the bank, and that if were to default on their obligations, those restricted funds could, in theory, be taken by the bank?
3. Has KRM taken any other cost cutting steps, such as cutting salaries? The aforementioned 2013 IRS Form 990 indicates that the museum still spends over $200k a year on salaries, which is a shame, as the museum makes $255,000.00 on car storage. If they didn't have that much to pay people to work there, they could retire the crushing debt faster and use the income to enhance the collection.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next