It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GE 45 ton wiring diagrams
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:42 am 

Hello all,
I have had no luck in finding a set of wiring diagrams for a 1947 45ton GE locomotive. I am helping the South Carolina Railroad Museum restore the engine. One of the major steps will be a complete rewire. I know I could run one wire at a time, but that gets difficult and there have been some, err, modifications over the years.

Does anyone know of a manual in PDF format with the schematics? Or a museum/library that might have one? I tried the Ft Eustis museum (loco is ex-Navy) but they didn't have the right manual. Google has also come up short, and my Googlefu is strong.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Attachments:
42sc.jpg
42sc.jpg [ 264.41 KiB | Viewed 12871 times ]

Post subject: Re: GE 45 ton wiring diagrams
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:59 am 

New Hope & Ivyland RR got a copy from General Electric for their ex-American Bridge Co. 45 ton locomotive. They also got a Pennsylvania RR diagram at a flea market.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:05 am 

I have a set of manuals for a 44 ton 1946 GE which includes some schematic diagrams for the electrical system. I'm in Charlotte, so not too far away. Drop me a PM if you are interested.

dave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:01 pm 

Logan Corp of Nitro, WV was (is?) the source for material such as you require.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:30 pm 

Jim, I will contact GE and see what I can get. I thought about doing that but figured my chances at less than 0%.

Thanks Dave,
I looked at the 44 ton manuals and think the wiring is not the same.

Dave NH0401, I will check with the company you mentioned.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:35 pm 

Logan Corp is the way to go. Make sure you have your serial number and they will get you the specific diagram for your unit. We learned this the hard way on our 50ton. Many hours wasted tracing wires before we discovered that we had the wrong diagram for our engine. Once we had the right one, it only took us a few hours to narrow down ALL of our electrical issues. The service manual is worth it's weight in gold. It will give you the test procedures, cut in/drop out specs for relays. I wish we had one from the start. I became very familiar with the electrical system on ours, so if I can help in any way I will try.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:32 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
airforcerail wrote:
I looked at the 44 ton manuals and think the wiring is not the same.

Brother, is THAT an understatement.

That's on par with saying "I have the diagrams for a VW Rabbit, but it doesn't seem to match the VW Beetle." Different engines, different configuration, different transmission......

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:18 pm 

US Army TM 55-2210-204-10 covers both the 44-ton and 45-ton locomotive types and is frequently available on eBay. Sorry I do not have access to a copy right now to be able to tell you how much electrical system information it provides.

PC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:02 pm 

In my experience with 44-tons, the service manual is totally separate from the wiring diagram. With wiring diagrams, even 44t's vary amongst one another.

A 45t is wildly different, as different as a 44t is from an SD9. Different number of motors, different battery voltage. The 45t is, practically identical to the 25t, being effectively two 25t's on the same chassis.

GE seems to have a generic manual for all 25,44,45,50,65,80 ton. This is an age when you were expected to have a brain. If there was a "Dummies" book, there would be 2 different books, and the 45t book would also cover the 25t and 50t. In this family, the 50t is an enigma to me. It is electromechanically identical to the 45t except being a 2-axle locomotive instead of 4. So the book says. I have never seen a picture of this whimsical beast, and the book has no illustrations.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:55 pm 

I believe the 50t locomotive was an option of the 45t model with ballast added. In fact, there is a 50t offered for sale on the Classified page today. It was also possible to have the four-motor 44t model ballasted up to 50t, as was done by the New York Dock Railway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:41 pm 

The service manual we got covered almost all the small locos available and the different components. Trust me on this, get the correct wiring diagram from a GE dealer (ie. Logan). The correct diagram will give you individual part numbers for all the components. Then you can verify weather anything has been changed or look up adjustment and test procedures for all components. I think the service manual and wire diagram combined was less than $100. We wasted so much time and energy looking at info and diagrams online. We tried the US army manuals and all kinds of other donated documents. It wasn't until we bit the bullet and called Logan Corp that we made any progress. If you call them, ask about their "common replacement parts" book. They sent that with our documents.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:25 pm 

Wiring diagrams do not always work, even if it is for the right locomotive.

Many people make changes and then never note them on a diagram.

Any diagram will on give you a base to work from.

I do have the prints for my GE 50 ton.
This is a ballasted 45 ton built in 1963 with 763 traction motors.

There are 5 prints in the set.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:05 am 

This may or may not help, but it's a start...

Jamie

Attachments:
45tonner-8537.pdf [780.63 KiB]
Downloaded 826 times

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:51 am 

It is better to start with the correct publications for the loco in question and modify to suit...as opposed to screwing around with something that may be 'close.'

This way, the effort becomes more of a 'learning experience' as opposed to an exercise in frustration.

Been doing this for over thirty years...

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:36 am 

If you've not got it, TM 55-1268 for the GE25 ton loco is posted at http://rr-fallenflags.org. The file is too large to attach to this message