It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coaches needed
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:56 pm 

I'm looking to see if there are any old PRR P-70 commuter coaches available anywhere (or any cars similar). Currently the organization I am with is working on a proposed tourist operation and we will need at least two to start with, but ultimately we would be needing at least 8 cars.

Gary R.
SA, TX.

Post subject: Re: Coaches needed
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:38 am 

There not P-70's, but I'd talk to Michigan DOT and Great Lake Central. They have quite a few old ex-Metra bi-level cars that probably could be sub-leased from the pool for the commuter service that they are trying to start up here. Cab cars and regular cars, and they are interchangeable last anyone knew.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:28 pm 

I'd look into former AMT coaches, since the Metra cars are bilevels and may have clearance issues depending on the line. AMT's fleet is comprised single-levels and have a rounded roof like the P-70s. Not sure if the profile of the roof matches up though. They look something like this:

Also there are these listings on Ozark Mountain Railcar. Not sure if these or within budget but they might be worth a look-see, especially if moving them is not prohibitively expensive:

Possibly other listings on the Passenger Cars page I passed over.

Also perhaps someone with more experience on this matter or that "knows a thing or two" about the care and feeding of passenger coaches can work from this?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:35 pm 

I would try to avoid the bi-levels if you can. Without re-opening the whole Reading 2100 can of worms, I can say that a lot of people hated the galley cars that operation used. The windows don't open and everyone said it was no different than riding the Sounder commuter train they could catch across the street (OK, maybe it was a bit slower. Make that a LOT slower).

You can't here the engine, you can't feel the breeze, might as well be on a bus. The reactions were not good!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:02 pm 

I understand the Austin Steam Train group has a fleet they are looking to sell in the near future in favor of air conditioned cars.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:10 pm 

Getting the cars from Austin would be ironic. We're planning on rebuilding the sister to the SP 786, the SP 794. Those are they type of car we are definitely after. We want a heavyweight type cars to pull behind our locomotive.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:31 pm 

There's some Rock Island commuter cars in Galveston that should be available.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:58 pm 

I'm not sure if it is available to be sold or not, but there is an unrestored Penn Central P70, as well as several other unused heavyweights at the Texas State Railroad yard in Rusk. Something makes me think because they were acquired when the state was operating that they can't be sold and moved from the property, but it's worth looking into.

Chaz