It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: RBMN 425 new paint job
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:55 pm 

Any chance to see that photo? Also, where the train loads at in Duryea/Pittston for those of us unfamiliar with the area and want to shoot a preserved Pacific while in town shooting a Lima Berk would be appreciated. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:57 pm 

TrainWatcher wrote:
Any chance to see that photo? Also, where the train loads at in Duryea/Pittston for those of us unfamiliar with the area and want to shoot a preserved Pacific while in town shooting a Lima Berk would be appreciated. :D

If it was my photo, I would. Since it isn't, I will respect the photographer's copyright and not share it here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:33 pm 

"Because last I heard, we live in the USA where we are entitled to form opinions on things offered for public view. "

Let me explain the error in this. The locomotive is not "offered for public view", it is private property that is maintained and operated for the pleasure of its owner and occasionally provided for hire. It is private property, and the only opinion that matters is the owner's. Nonetheless you can form an opinion, but when you reveal it to the public, others might form an offer an opinion about your opinion. My opinion is that people who do not own the property and have not contributed to it's continued existence, maintenance and operation should at least offer some thanks to the people that do, without sounding like a kid that got the wrong Lionel at Christmas.

"Only in rail preservation do people get told to "just be thankful" or that if you didn't pay for it, that you should not have an opinion."

Except this is not "rail preservation". It is the private operating asset of a for profit enterprise, that happens to be old. No different than the ex-LV SW-8's. They've been stripped of their footboards courtesy of the ICC, and their friction bearings for operating efficiency and their Cornell Red paint. Horrors!

"I guess none of you have never critiqued a sports team, restaurant, building, movie, or any other "thing" that you didn't pay to produce, but found not to your liking?

Yeah, I figured as much ..."

I was never one of those idiots that called Joe Paterno on Thursday night and made comments like "uh coach, it seems the middle is open a lot, will WE (sic) be throwing more to the Tight End?" My opinion was that just once, Paterno should have told one of those delusional clods : uh listen up. My coaching staff will make the plays, the players will execute them, and you will sit in the stands or in front of your TV and watch. There is no "we".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:42 pm 

Hopefully, everyone who thinks she's ugly will stay out of the Lehigh Gorge this weekend so there's more room for the rest of us. ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:44 pm 

CP O'Shea wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:

If it was my photo, I would. Since it isn't, I will respect the photographer's copyright and not share it here.

Or just join Facebook where there have been pics of her posted all week as progress has been made.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:06 am 

I don't need to own the Mona Lisa to know it's a beautiful work of art, and have every right to discuss the merits of it.

Likewise, I don't need to own the Ecce Homo to know that that woman's "restoration" work was a travesty, and be able to have an opinion on it.

Sure, the owner can do whatever they'd like with the 425, and they do, but when we're discussing its new paint job, what's the point of discussing it if the only allowed opinion is "the owner is alway right, and it looks great"?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:51 am 

superheater wrote:
"Because last I heard, we live in the USA where we are entitled to form opinions on things offered for public view. "

Let me explain the error in this. The locomotive is not "offered for public view", it is private property that is maintained and operated for the pleasure of its owner and occasionally provided for hire. It is private property, and the only opinion that matters is the owner's. Nonetheless you can form an opinion, but when you reveal it to the public, others might form an offer an opinion about your opinion. My opinion is that people who do not own the property and have not contributed to it's continued existence, maintenance and operation should at least offer some thanks to the people that do, without sounding like a kid that got the wrong Lionel at Christmas.

"Only in rail preservation do people get told to "just be thankful" or that if you didn't pay for it, that you should not have an opinion."

Except this is not "rail preservation". It is the private operating asset of a for profit enterprise, that happens to be old. No different than the ex-LV SW-8's. They've been stripped of their footboards courtesy of the ICC, and their friction bearings for operating efficiency and their Cornell Red paint. Horrors!

"I guess none of you have never critiqued a sports team, restaurant, building, movie, or any other "thing" that you didn't pay to produce, but found not to your liking?

Yeah, I figured as much ..."

I was never one of those idiots that called Joe Paterno on Thursday night and made comments like "uh coach, it seems the middle is open a lot, will WE (sic) be throwing more to the Tight End?" My opinion was that just once, Paterno should have told one of those delusional clods : uh listen up. My coaching staff will make the plays, the players will execute them, and you will sit in the stands or in front of your TV and watch. There is no "we".

This argument falls apart when you consider the fact that said private owner runs public excursions pulled by said privately-owned locomotive. It might be privately-owned, but it is indeed on public display and people have every right to complain if they want (not that it'll do anything).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:27 am 

Mark Z. Yerkes wrote:
This argument falls apart when you consider the fact that said private owner runs public excursions pulled by said privately-owned locomotive. It might be privately-owned, but it is indeed on public display and people have every right to complain if they want (not that it'll do anything).

Maybe, but I would be careful about arguing too much over not much; you might wind up discouraging the owner and others who might be more supportive of what we want to see and do.

Of course, I will say, in my opinion, she not only looks better in black but with the high headlight--but I won't complain about a centered headlight and blue paint, either!

https://www.facebook.com/NolaRails/phot ... 56/?type=1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:18 am 

"This argument falls apart when you consider the fact that said private owner runs public excursions pulled by said privately-owned locomotive. It might be privately-owned, but it is indeed on public display and people have every right to complain if they want (not that it'll do anything)."

You have a "right" to complain, because you have a "right" to complain about anything. You don't have a right to be taken anymore seriously than an ungrateful, spolied three year old whining about something, and that right to complain extends to the adults who get to complain about the childrens' tantrums.

It's still private property and none of your d*mn business. If you want to cut off your nose to spite your face and not buy a ticket, have at it.

Surely it's more fun to sit in your house playing with your uh, pantone color wheel than riding.

Sometimes I read the threads on here and realize how many people remind me of my last visit to the zoo-specifically the primate house, with all the screeching and excrement throwing.

Last edited by superheater on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:46 am 

History usually isn't pretty. Tourism..... well, who wants to spend their vacation dealing with the ordinary, plain or ugly, apart from those who genuinely try to make ugly conditions better or those who are, for reasons healthy or otherwise, interested in it? So, a beautifully proportioned pacific hauling a nice consist for tourists is painted other than black - Henry Ford might have objected, or Commodore Vanderbilt. Families out for a fun day on the rails no doubt find it suits them perfectly, and there are many more of them than absolute historical perfectionists applying their narrow standards to a different and inappropriate venue. Anybody object to the original Ward Kimball invented paint schemes for Jupiter and 119 before they had documented genuine historic data to work from? Should they have been generic black in a vacuum of better information? Grungy gray like Hell on Wheels?

Variety is a good thing, that's why Domino's makes more than one pizza. Tourist railroads that do a good job of being tourist railroads help build a constituency of those who like to ride trains, which is good for us all. Historic train operators who do a bad job of treating customers but a great job if authenticity are missing a significant boat, while building a fine little dingy just big enough to hold themselves. Of course, you can be both....... if you start with a good concept and build it well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:37 pm 

superheater wrote:
Sometimes I read the threads on here and realize how many people remind me of my last visit to the zoo-specifically the primate house, with all the screeching and excrement throwing.

Perhaps you should have been looking in a mirror instead. I simply stated that I didn't care for the paint job, and why I didn't like it. YOU were the one who overreacted and started hurling insults. When someone offers an opinion on an object, and you respond with personal attacks (which is exactly what you did), it points to some rather disturbing social dysfunction.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:36 pm 

Having had the pleasure of seeing her today, I can honestly say her new hue is much deeper and richer than it looked in the digital images I have seen. It is a big improvement. She's quite the looker!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:55 pm 

Rode behind 765 yesterday from Bethlehem,PA to Pittston and return with a layover in Jim Thorpe and the 425 was sitting on the siding after running three trips on the LGSRY. I must say I like the color and the new logo, will not miss the large 425 on the tender and I have also heard the large billboard on the auxilliary will be gone as well. http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/steamdonjr/library/Berkshire%20765%20Allentown%208-22-2015

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:01 pm 

steamdon_jr wrote:
Rode behind 765 yesterday from Bethlehem,PA to Pittston and return with a layover in Jim Thorpe and the 425 was sitting on the siding after running three trips on the LGSRY. I must say I like the color and the new logo, will not miss the large 425 on the tender and I have also heard the large billboard on the auxilliary will be gone as well. http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/steamdonjr/library/Berkshire%20765%20Allentown%208-22-2015

She hasn't had the big "425" on the tender since she's been blue, correct?

The second "jug" (ex RDG tender) was in JT paInted in the new blue but not lettered.

The original "jug" (ex PRR tender) still has the old blue and the "ride this train" lettering. I wonder if they will leave that as is, since it serves as a sign in JT and hasn't spent much time on the road since the new Jug came online.

Rob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:40 pm 

superheater wrote:
"This argument falls apart when you consider the fact that said private owner runs public excursions pulled by said privately-owned locomotive. It might be privately-owned, but it is indeed on public display and people have every right to complain if they want (not that it'll do anything)."

You have a "right" to complain, because you have a "right" to complain about anything. You don't have a right to be taken anymore seriously than an ungrateful, spolied three year old whining about something, and that right to complain extends to the adults who get to complain about the childrens' tantrums.

It's still private property and none of your d*mn business. If you want to cut off your nose to spite your face and not buy a ticket, have at it.

Surely it's more fun to sit in your house playing with your uh, pantone color wheel than riding.

Sir, I personally don't care either way. I actually like the new shade of blue over the old shade. It reminds me of how she looked in 1995 when she visited Steamtown for the Grand Opening. The fact remains that people still have the right to complain about whether they like the color or not. Their complaints will fall on deaf ears, but they can still complain if they want.

Also, I am not able to ride as I live in Florida. I'm well aware that my opinion doesn't matter, but that doesn't mean I am not allowed to express it. A fact that you need to get a better grip on. Good day.