It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: U.P. Steam Shop status of steam fleet?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:37 pm 

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. I'd wager that Mr. Penn knows the subject matter of which he speaks. A shame his comments inspire personal attacks that are allowed to stand.

ETA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:47 pm 

etalcos wrote:
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. I'd wager that Mr. Penn knows the subject matter of which he speaks. A shame his comments inspire personal attacks that are allowed to stand.

ETA

Yes. This board is good at running off people like him who are actually industry insiders.

Last edited by rock island lines on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:52 pm 

DanHetzel wrote:
Lincoln Penn wrote:

I have no time for projects that are stagnant or, worse, going backward.

But you seem to have plenty of time to add negativity to this thread.
Get over yourself. Unless you can say something positive about the UP steam program
Stop posting.

Dan
(Not afraid to post my real name)

When there actually is something positive to post, I will.
Meanwhile, two more shop employees have quit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:04 am 

rock island lines wrote:
etalcos wrote:

ETA

Yes. This board is good at running off people like him who are actually industry insiders.

...and I'd bet they're not done yet...

God forbid a railroader ever provide well thought out insight on a situation at a Railroad.

ETA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:30 am 

Most of the time I just sit back and read.
I can sum up in my mind the whole Cheyenne situation.
When you hear similar stories from people who are a lot closer to the situation than I am (thank God) about the revolving door, paranoia and drawings, parts, materials and who knows what else being dumped it becomes increasingly clear the "somethin ain't right".
So if and when anything positive ever happens there, I'm sure it will be posted. I haven't seen anything positive since 2011.
Leave the character assassination to the politicians.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:33 am 

rock island lines wrote:
etalcos wrote:

ETA

RIL and I agree on something!

While I am generally in favor of people using their real names, I can also understand why some people choose not to.

In the end, we can evaluate sources, and when you look at the whole picture, Mr. Penn's analysis of the situation is well thought out. He doesn't engage in ad homenim attacks or character assassination. At best, he is simply pointing out that the emperor has no clothes.

Even without the insider knowledge, it is apparent something is rotten, or at least not right in Cheyenne. The current program manager has turned two operable locomotives into three inoperable ones. The flat wheel incident, the destruction of the tool car in Texas, the fact that boiler work has to be redone in such a short time, the fact that the employee group in the program has turned over and over and over and over, the lawsuits. The fact that the 949 sat in Kansas City for just about a year with flat wheels, etc.

In the end, if the program were achieving results, it would be easy to ignore the chatter. However, with no results to speak of, it's pretty easy to connect the dots and even when looking through the hyperbole, something is clearly not right.

The UP steam program also maintains and operates the rotary snow plow and train. It'll be interesting if this coming winter is a bad one, requiring the use of the plow and an experienced crew to see what happens.

Until then, the results, or lack thereof speak for themselves.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12