It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Everett Railroad No. 11 Lives Again
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:30 pm 

After a lot of work under contract at the Western Maryland Scenic in Ridgeley, W.Va., and more work at their home shop in Claysburg, Pa., the Everett Railroad's No. 11 felt a fire on her grates: Facebook photo courtesy of Alan Maples:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 880&type=3

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=569ABBEE

The people credited with getting No. 11 back in steam: left to right, John Hafer, Jason Lamb, Dan Pluta, Barney Gramling, and Zach Hall, again information credited to Alan Maples.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

https://fbcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.net/h ... 3378e80284

History, courtesy Everett Railroad:

http://www.everettrailroad.com/railfans/11.aspx

Photos, including a restoration album.

http://www.everettrailroad.com/excursio ... llery.aspx

Post subject: Re: Everett Railroad No. 11 Lives Again
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:35 am 

I saw an article in Yankee Magazine in 1980 advertising the sale of the Narragansett Pier. It set my imagination on fire, and I was happy to have railfanned the entire line with my family later that summer. I had read "A Short Haul to the Bay" several times from cover to cover. I recall looking through the front doors of the engine house at Peacedale, and seeing a steamer and some small diesels inside. A wooden caboose, a CN double ended obs car, and a decrepit wooden boxcar were outside. I hunted for the long abandoned power truck to a McKeen motor car, but it was not to be found. The light rails through the weeds probably never saw a wheel again, but original ancient triangle shaped crossing warning signs were at all the road crossings.

It's nice to know the 11 is returning to steam. Those Cuban moguls have great lines and this will make a nice small shortline/tourist line locomotive. Good luck to the Everett Railroad and Alan Maples in the next incarnation of this wonderful engine.
O. Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:57 am 

Fantastic to see & many congratulations!!! mld

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:37 am 

Sometimes something will show up that will get me to thinking about something else.

For a part of its life, No. 11 was owned by the Bath & Hammondsport. The company is still in existence today, though its original namesake line is reported as currently inactive and intact.

http://www.abandonedrails.com/Bath_and_ ... t_Railroad

Of particular interest is the side door caboose that also showed up in vintage photographs of No. 11 is still around! It's on "property" (museum?) dedicated to aviation pioneer Glen Curtis.

http://picture.abandonedrails.com/b6a5m34m.jpg

How many enjoy that "Champaign Route" advertizing slogan on the side?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:10 am 

Congrats to all involved in this project. Agreed I too like the "lines' of this locomotive. These little 50-70 tonners are great loco's. What a doll! Regards, John.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:55 am 

o anderson wrote:
I saw an article in Yankee Magazine in 1980 advertising the sale of the Narragansett Pier. It set my imagination on fire, and I was happy to have railfanned the entire line with my family later that summer. I had read "A Short Haul to the Bay" several times from cover to cover. I recall looking through the front doors of the engine house at Peacedale, and seeing a steamer and some small diesels inside. A wooden caboose, a CN double ended obs car, and a decrepit wooden boxcar were outside. I hunted for the long abandoned power truck to a McKeen motor car, but it was not to be found. The light rails through the weeds probably never saw a wheel again, but original ancient triangle shaped crossing warning signs were at all the road crossings.

It's nice to know the 11 is returning to steam. Those Cuban moguls have great lines and this will make a nice small shortline/tourist line locomotive. Good luck to the Everett Railroad and Alan Maples in the next incarnation of this wonderful engine.
O. Anderson

I've heard this rumor before, what is the story behind it? I know it came from a 70' McKeen Car that was on the NPRR for about a year or two, something like that, but what is your side of the story?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:28 pm 

To my eyes, the caboose seems to have Erie characteristics. Is that coincidence, or is there a correction. Of course, the B&H connected with the Erie.

Accolades to Alan Maples!

Tom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:41 pm 

The book Short Haul to the Bay said the McKeen Motor was removed and left outside the enginehouse, presumably towards the end of the track on the southwest side. The book was written before the end of tourist operations (when cars from the line went to Strasburg) in 1969. Sorry, I don't know what happened in the intervening years.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:36 am 

J3a-614 wrote:
After a lot of work under contract at the Western Maryland Scenic in Ridgeley, W.Va., and more work at their home shop in Claysburg, Pa., the Everett Railroad's No. 11 felt a fire on her grates: Facebook photo courtesy of Alan Maples:

http://www.everettrailroad.com/excursio ... llery.aspx

Well done to all involved! I’m pleased to hear that another steam locomotive is back in operation!

Look at the builder’s photo in the link above. I have always been intrigued by the driver spacing on this locomotive. The lead driver is almost far enough back to make room for a four wheel lead truck, but not quite. That is a very unusual feature, and I have often wondered what the designer was thinking when he laid that out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:17 am 

Too bad Pete Rasmussen isn't around to see this.

Keith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:38 am 

Quote:
I have always been intrigued by the driver spacing on this locomotive.

It is about weight balance, yes? I wonder when full (half glass) of water, where the center of mass of the engine is? Visually we think the engine is front heavy, but we forget that the smokebox is empty space and the firebox is quite heavy. I wonder if the longer front overhang represents a more accurate measure of the weight balance.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:16 am 

Just a note that No. 11 does have a twin sister:

http://www.mnjrhs.org/eleven_update.html

She was moved around not too long back:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31410

I too have been intrigued at that unusual axle spacing, looking like it should be for a 4-6-0 instead of a 2-6-0, but hadn't thought about it being about weight distribution.

One other thing that stands out about this engine is how small it is. You could almost have it in your back yard!

At least, it looked small next to WM 734 at Ridgeley!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:55 am 

J3a-614 wrote:
Just a note that No. 11 does have a twin sister:

http://www.mnjrhs.org/eleven_update.html

She was moved around not too long back:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31410

I'm a little bit confused about V-C #50. The referenced article above by Dan Myers was obviously printed prior to Everett (M&NJ/B&H) #11 being moved for restoration. But the above RyPN thread begun by Matt Bumgarner of the Alexander Chapter of the NRHS back in 2011, indicates that number 50 had been donated to them. So...what's the story on Everett 11's sister? Is that Mogul still in Lakeland? Is she eventually going to be moved? Was a roof over the 2-6-0 ever installed? Thanks for any info.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:07 pm 

V-C 50 has been in NC for several years now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:48 pm 

The weight of both a 4 wheel and 2 wheel pony truck is borne under the smokebox through the equalization from the truck support - Bissell post or what have you - to the front set of drivers. Altering the proportion of the length of the lever one way or another would certainly change the amount of weight borne by each, but not the point of bearing. Or am I missing something here?

BTW, yes, she's beautiful and will be a perfect locomotive for her use. Thanks and nice work, Alan...... sorry for the technical rather than big picture digression.