It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CNW twins now at IRM
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:04 am 

I don't know the exact date of when they arrived, but the CNW twins 8701 & 8646 are now at the museum. This is also shown when Jeron Glander posted pictures on the IRM Diesel shop facebook page. This is very exciting news and I cant wait to see them next year when the museum opens its doors again to visitors. Below is a picture of them sitting outside of the depot

Attachments:
Twins.jpg
Twins.jpg [ 68.3 KiB | Viewed 13191 times ]

Post subject: Re: CNW twins now at IRM
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:59 am 

What does this bring the total number of pieces of railroad rolling stock at IRM up to now? Their collection just seems to grow and grow.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:01 am 

Wait, Union Pacific retired these gems and donated them to IRM? This must make them the first preserved GE units of their type.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:25 am 

Les Beckman wrote:
What does this bring the total number of pieces of railroad rolling stock at IRM up to now? Their collection just seems to grow and grow.

Les

I don't know but I do know that sometime this year CZ silver beaver is going to be arriving along with the fact that the museum just got 4 new buses 2 diesel/2 trolley, then add in mt. Harvard. This has been a good year for IRM.

railfan261 wrote:
Wait, Union Pacific retired these gems and donated them to IRM? This must make them the first preserved GE units of their type.

If I remember correctly these units are just being stored long term at IRM, I really should have put that in the title. Anyway this is still great news for the preservation of these units as who knows what could happen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:34 pm 

Are others in this class being retired? Why would UP be storing them? Will they go back into service or is this the first step toward donation?

I used to see them all the time in Homewood on CN/IC transfer runs back when the "Provisors" were protecting them but not since UP made their livery "safe" and they hit the road.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:59 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Les

One of the advantages to having attended the ATRRM convention at Union in September was that attendees received a current IRM roster (consisting of the most recent published May, 2010 roster and a supplement to bring it up to date as of Sept.1, 2015).

It shows 477 pieces of equipment, but that includes rubber-tired equipment (trolley coaches and motor coaches) and the tiny 2' gauge Chicago Tunnel equipment.

The total for standard gauge railway equipment is "only" 441 cars and locomotives. Of the 92 locomotives, 13 are electric, 27 are steam, and 52 are internal combustion (almost all diesels).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:34 pm 

The units were delivered to IRM on Tuesday night. Both are dead and drained for long term storage. Union Pacific still owns both locomotives, and IRM is providing storage space for the pair.

Restoration website

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:52 pm 

Which has happened before as I recall back when the last traffic downturn occurred 5 or 6 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:54 pm 

it seems to be an amicable situation, UP can still run the engines, credit IRM to be a reliable spot to hold them and give them some attention to the public. Perhaps when the times comes they might see IRM become the donatees...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:18 am 

filmteknik wrote:
Are others in this class being retired? Why would UP be storing them? Will they go back into service or is this the first step toward donation?

I used to see them all the time in Homewood on CN/IC transfer runs back when the "Provisors" were protecting them but not since UP made their livery "safe" and they hit the road.

They are not retired. Only stored, the same as hundreds of other UP locomotives due to traffic downturns.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:26 am 

My first thought is that I hope they don't get vandalized.

My second thought is how funny it would be if was in the form of a UP patch job! LOL

Post subject: Re: CNW twins now at IRM, again
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:18 pm 

After leaving IRM in early February, going back into service on the UP for roughly a month, and having the turbocharger changed out on the 8701 (among other maintenance), the "twins" were returned to storage at IRM this evening.

Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:27 pm 

Jdelhaye wrote:
After leaving IRM in early February, going back into service on the UP for roughly a month, and having the turbocharger changed out on the 8701 (among other maintenance), the "twins" were returned to storage at IRM this evening.

Jeff

I remember seeing the IRM Diesel Shop post about them leaving back in February;isn't it odd for a a locomotive set to be brought out of storage and used for only one month? I cant imagine the revenue generated in that month was worth having them put in the shop to be looked over and then put into service when UP has many more loco's in storage elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 pm 

hullmat991 wrote:
I remember seeing the IRM Diesel Shop post about them leaving back in February;isn't it odd for a a locomotive set to be brought out of storage and used for only one month? I cant imagine the revenue generated in that month was worth having them put in the shop to be looked over and then put into service when UP has many more loco's in storage elsewhere.

There are "Strange rumblings in the earth below" which may account for these actions.

Details are vague, and uncertain.

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:43 am 

Back during the Great Depression, the massive US Steel fleet on the Great Lakes operated at a fraction of its capacity. To keep the fleet in good condition and ready for the day when the economy would again be booming, they regularly cycled ships in and out of layup so each would get at least a handful of trips each season to ensure the machinery was exercised and received tlc.

Perhaps Union Pacific tries to do something similar with their power that is otherwise residing in what would be called long-term layup if it were a Great Lakes freighter. Perhaps the only thing worse for a machine than being ran and seeing wear & tear, is to sit there disused.