It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Museum photo freights
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:51 pm 

(Posting this in "railfanning" since photo freights are generally for the railfans.)

I noticed this commercial video on Youtube called, "Midwest Photo Freights" (well, it includes one passenger train too). These photo freights are a great way to showcase restored locomotives. This video includes:

(1) Minnesota Transportation Museum's BN SD-9 on the Osceola and St. Croix Valley Railroad in Wisconsin and Minnesota,
    (2) MTM's GN SD-45 with a passenger train,
    (3) Lake Superior Railroad Museum's, Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic Alco RS-1 on the North Shore Scenic Railway in Minnesota, and
    (4) Boone and Scenic Valley's, Minneapolis and St. Louis-painted Alco RS-1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brPUPokqMVM

I noticed that the organizer of many of these events is Steve Glischinski. So thanks, Mr. Glischinski, and others who make these possible.

Not on the above video, but one of my favorite photo freights found on-line has to be this diesel-powered one on the Nevada Northern:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=423294

Post subject: Re: Museum photo freights
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:23 am 

We try to operate a few photo freights a year at IRM. Usually a roller bearing train and a friction bearing train. There's a decent group of operable cars to choose from.

Post subject: Re: Museum photo freights
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:41 am 

There is a small but very dedicated group of photographers that attend photo freights. I've run a number across the country, and the challenge is how few appropriate freight cars are available for older locomotives. FRA rules make it even tougher as they consider a photo freight as a revenue move, so the FRA 50 year car life applies, although the FRA does have a waiver process that has gotten easier to comply with.

If a museum or tourist operation has the right equipment, they should look at contacting some of the folks that organize such events, or attend one or more to learn how to plan one for themselves. A photo freight is a great way to do something different, to raise a few dollars, and to get some unique publicity.