It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flying Yankee
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:56 am 

With 2016 now just two weeks away, has anyone heard any news of the Flying Yankee restoration project? Seen any e-newsletters or updates?

The activities page on the website says no events are announced yet - for 2014:

http://flyingyankee.com/calendar.shtml

PC

Post subject: Re: Flying Yankee
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:34 pm 

http://soundbible.com/2083-Crickets-Chi ... Night.html

Weren't they awarded some money to rebuild a Winton diesel?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:44 pm 

Previous Threads:

February 2015

August 2013

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:27 pm 

wesp wrote:
Previous Threads:

February 2015

August 2013

Thanks for posting the links to the older threads. I will reiterate. The Flying Yankee is in a low population area far from any large towns and therefore suffers from both lack of regular funding but especially from a lack of regular volunteers. I suspect folks around there need to work hard to make a living and that leaves not much time or resources left over to play trains. The best way to get things moving along with the Flying Yankee is to stop complaining and support the restoration with some donations.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:08 pm 

They appear to have a voice mail answer to their phone, but no one returns the calls. I think they have slunk away into the nether world, and funds generously donated (a not too shabby sum by me) have either disappeared into dead-end projects, or otherwise been frittered away. Last I heard (5-6 years ago) was that they had given up on the Winton and were looking for a current model m-g set. IMHO, look at this as a warning to those who would contribute to the PRR T-1 project. Okay, they plan to produce a driving wheel; Flying Yankee completely refurbished a coach; so what? Lofty promises, slick brochures, but let's face reality, folks, who else besides the Strasburg would be interested in allowing it to run on their rails? ( I say that only partly in jest!)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:36 pm 

I was in Lincoln this summer and stopped by the Hobo Railroad. I asked (politely) about the Flying Yankee and was nicely told that no one had been working on it in a long time and, unfortunately, under no circumstances would I be allowed to see it. I did end up riding the train and had even more fun the next day over at Clark's Trading Post, which is about five minutes down the road.

Jeff Terry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:28 am 

From Trains Newswire, Monday, March 14th:

(Article is not located behind paywall.)

Group restoring New England streamliner launches effort to bring Flying Yankee home

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:17 pm 

I'm kind of interested as to how many different train names and/or railroad heralds, this particular unit displayed on its "nose". And, what one will eventually be placed there after the restoration is completed.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:56 pm 

The #6000 equipment was the Flying Yankee to Portland and Bangor, the Mountaineer to North Conway and Intervale, the Cheshire,to White River Junction via Keene, and the Businessman to Troy. I've seen pictures with three of those nameplates. I'm not so sure about the last. I'm sure other posters can provide additional details and perhaps corrections.

-John

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:42 pm 

The article about relocating the train is quite interesting, but I would recommend taking a look at the Flying Yankee Restoration Group 990-EZ form for 2013 (latest one available) on foundationcenter.org and see what it says on line 27. Entering "Flying Yankee Restoration Group", in New Hampshire, 2013 will take you right to it.

PC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:35 pm 

I know I sound awfully negative but....
This sounds like a promo piece ,to put a positive spin on them probably being kicked out of the current location...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:20 pm 

Yes, it does seem like it has some "enhancement" to it, particularly if you can read between the lines, or know a little of the "rest of the story".

For example, it mentions that the two traction motors are "completed". Exactly what that means is subject to some interpretation. Yes, they were sent out for rebuilding, to an electric service company in Dover, NH, and yes, they were worked on and returned. But one of the motors was missing a critical component that would render it unusable until a replacement could be found or reverse engineered and manufactured. So there is still some more work and expense before they can be installed.

There are many challenges remaining for this project, but the biggest one is financial, as reflected by their IRS 990 form.

PC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:56 pm 

Still, a positive informational piece tells us that there remain some individuals dedicated to completion of the project. "The Flying Yankee" is an iconic internal combustion train of an era modern railroad strive to rekindle today. If this is a restoration which you wish to be a part of, then contact them and offer your support. Otherwise, step back and watch without negative commentary.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:05 am 

PCook wrote:
The article about relocating the train is quite interesting, but I would recommend taking a look at the Flying Yankee Restoration Group 990-EZ form for 2013 (latest one available) on foundationcenter.org and see what it says on line 27. Entering "Flying Yankee Restoration Group", in New Hampshire, 2013 will take you right to it.

PC

OK, based on that line, they appear to have about $5k of total assets. So the question is do they not actually own the Flying Yankee or is there a massive error on the 990 not listing a value for the actual train?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:35 am 

diningcartim wrote:

OK, based on that line, they appear to have about $5k of total assets. So the question is do they not actually own the Flying Yankee or is there a massive error on the 990 not listing a value for the actual train?

As of 2013, the assets are $1332.

The Flying Yankee is owned by the State of New Hampshire, I believe & wouldn't show up on the FYRG 990's statement.