It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Santa Fe Alco PA #59 possible return to being operable
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:43 pm 

I haven't seen anyone post this here, but the group in Texas restoring the ex-ATSF Alco PA #59 is seeking funding to buy an ex-CN HR412 and retrieve the engine, main generator, electrical panel, etc. to install in their PA: https://www.generosity.com/volunteer-fu ... l-again--2

I am not involved with their group but certainly would like to see a PA in Santa Fe colors and running.

Edit: fixed link.

Last edited by PMC on Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Santa Fe Alco PA #59 possible return to operation
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:57 pm 

Does anyone know what condition this PA is in right now? I remember seeing both of the shells near Albany, OR and thinking, "There's no way anyone will make anything useable out of this." I'm very glad to be wrong about that.
PMC wrote:
certainly would like to see a PA in Santa Fe colors and running.
I'd like to see one running if it was painted pink! I live not too terribly far from Doyle's NKP-painted PA and I badly hope to see it running under her own power sometime soon now that 4449's rebuild is done...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:47 pm 

I saw the hulk a few years ago, on a siding in Frisco. An awful lot of carbody work and replacement of all components, but to have a second rebuilt PA1 running, this might be worth supporting. We know it can be done - Doyle did it before, and the expertise is there. I would want to group doing the rebuild to be thoroughly vetted and contracted. Next to an operating steam locomotive, an ALCO PA1 is mighty good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:31 pm 

Yeah...that is a mighty lofty goal for this rusty hulk. I doubt their fund-raising goal will come anywhere close to the amount needed to get this engine running. And in order to get this unit "back in operation" there will be a lot of FRA hoops to jump through...it will be like making a new locomotive. Don't expect any Class 1's to host this deal either...

Good luck...but stay grounded with your goals.

T7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:42 pm 

It would be interesting to know how much Doyle has spent to get his PA nearly operational. (I know he's fired up the prime mover but I don't believe it's moved under its own power.) #59 is in worse shape, having been in a rollover derailment during its service in Mexico.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:10 am 

The HR412 is A&M #76. It is currently on the storage track in Springdale, AR.

Murphy Jenkins
A&M Conductor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:55 am 

So if the locomotive is made operational again, what would their plans be for it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:48 am 

Termite7 wrote:
Yeah...that is a mighty lofty goal for this rusty hulk. I doubt their fund-raising goal will come anywhere close to the amount needed to get this engine running. And in order to get this unit "back in operation" there will be a lot of FRA hoops to jump through...it will be like making a new locomotive. Don't expect any Class 1's to host this deal either...

Good luck...but stay grounded with your goals.

T7

I think I named the topic poorly, what I mean is return to being operable, i.e. capable of being moved, not actually using it in revenue service or any sort of ambitious operations, none of which they have spoken about. (Edit: I changed the topic title). As far as what they will do with it, they are a museum, I would guess they would do what any museum with cab units capable of pulling trains do: make it available to museum guests to see, and occasionally pull tourist trains if the opportunity arises. Originally they were going to find a dead engine just for ballast, but I would bet they have calculated that the cost of a scrap engine is not the much less than this engine, capable of being started, etc. There are photos of the work they have done so far on their facebook page, which I follow, that is how I found out about their project: https://www.facebook.com/AlcoPARestoration/?fref=ts

Post subject: Re: Santa Fe Alco PA #59 possible return to being operable
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:11 am 

I would be interested in seeing a list of the FRA hoops to hump through.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:18 am 

Uh-oh! I see a story beginning to develop into the "I heard that.." rumor category!
The Facebook link thing is all over the place with how far the restoration should go, can go, will go.

Do we want another active, restored, operational ALCO PA1? Yes. Is that where this group is going? Uh...I'm not sure yet.

Better to wait for a total, complete, summary address from those wishing to undertake the proposition.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:13 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
Uh-oh! I see a story beginning to develop into the "I heard that.." rumor category!
The Facebook link thing is all over the place with how far the restoration should go, can go, will go.

Do we want another active, restored, operational ALCO PA1? Yes. Is that where this group is going? Uh...I'm not sure yet.

Better to wait for a total, complete, summary address from those wishing to undertake the proposition.

It is only developing into a "I heard that" rumor becasue people in this thread are reading grandiose things into the effort not found in the group's posting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:16 pm 

wm303 wrote:
I would be interested in seeing a list of the FRA hoops to hump through.

The same one's McCormick had with his PA I would guess.

Post subject: tangent - Santa Fe Alco PA #59 possible return to being oper
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:59 pm 

Hi,

There were four preserved PAs that were saved by the Deleware and Hudson Railroad in the 1960-70s. They are the only ones.

The last one (is operable?) with all PA hardware is in Mexico (I think) on display at a Mexico railroad museum.

I think there is a PA hulk in Mexico.

Doyal McCormick's PA has all Alco parts but not all PA parts if I recall correctly. Trucks and prime mover are from another similar Alco item.

The second Alco PA (#59) that came back from Mexico (and being discussed here) is going to be like Doyal's - all Alco but not all PA.

Can anyone confirm my faulty memory?

Doug vV

Last edited by Dougvv on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: tangent - Santa Fe Alco PA #59 possible return to being
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:33 pm 

Dougvv wrote:
Hi,

I think there is a PA hulk in Mexico.

Doug vV

Numbers 17 and 19 are both at the Mexican museum at Puebla. Reportedly, 19 is operational while 17 is on display in pseudo-SP paint.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:58 pm 

All four were rebuilt into "PA4"s with Alco 251 engines in about 1974 by Morrison- Knudsen, so they've long since lost their original 244 engines.

There is one other PA hulk still extant down in Brazil. There were three exported there in 5'3" gauge for the Paulista Railway and one was preserved, sort of.

The two PAs here ride trucks salvaged from FM Erie-built B-units that were part of a CN mobile welded rail plant. They are similar, but not completely identical to the original PA trucks.