It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Former Pittsburgh Roundhouse Now Robot City, and More
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:04 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
This came up via a PRR list:

http://robotcity.org/RobotCity_files/Page306.htm

Carnegie-Mellon University in Pittsburgh is apparently using this former B&O/Monongahela Connecting roundhouse, with INTACT turntable, as a robotics test site. (This "booklet" ID's the building as former B&O, but see below):
http://robotcity.org/

This, and a lot more Pittsburgh-area rail landmarks, are on this Google map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=211 ... 5,0.001084

Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Former B&O Roundhouse Now Robot City, and More
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:07 pm 

The roundhouse shown is that of the Monongahela Connecting RR. SFAIK it never had anything to do with the B&O. There is another roundhouse nearby, the B&O Glenwood RH, but that's still in use (or at least the engine terminal is) by Allegheny Valley RR.

Post subject: Re: Former Pittsburgh Roundhouse Now Robot City, and More
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:03 pm 

On the subject of P'burgh railroad landmarks, the Conway roundhouse will be closed and demolished sometime this year. A new loco shop is under construction-said to be complete in the spring.

However, the backshop will be retained, along with the turntable.

DPK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:31 pm 

David,

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but all the major structures at Glenwood Yard are long gone including the RH, TT and backshops. They have been gone for 10 years or more. Such a shame as they would be a great home for Glen Campbell's B&LE 2-10-4 No.643. Ironically, Glen originally restored 643 in the CSX Glenwood RH and backshops back in the '80's. Glen told me they actually ran 643 back and forth inside the backshop which was supposedly almost 1/4 long!

Rob Gardner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:09 am 

The backshop building still exists, however its been so heavily modified that it no longer resembles one.

The 643 is currently soon to be landlocked in McKees Rocks as soon as CSX undercuts the PC&Y underpass as part of their double stack project.

The McKeesport Connecting RR roundhouse in McKeesport still exists as far as I know.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:02 pm 

I'd have to go visit to see what actually remains of the former B&O Glenwood Shop and roundhouse, but it's probably not much. With the decline of the nearby J&L Steel plant the importance of this facility rapidly diminished. The removal of loco repair work at the shop put another nail in the coffin. What's left of the yard and engine facility is currently being used by the Allegheny Valley RR, which also operates the former B&O "Pittsburgh & Western" line northwest toward New Castle Jct.

The McKeesport Connecting RR roundhouse in McKeesport still exists but sans any trackage or turntable. It was used for some time to house the various buses acquired by a local motor coach historical group, but they were forced to leave about five years ago. Around that same time the rolling stock of the more-or-less stillborn Pittsburgh Transportation Museum Society's proposed railroad museum, also stored on the former McKeesport Conn. RR property, were either scrapped or otherwise disposed of.

I've heard a lot of different versions of what was, or was not, done to B&LE 643 while it was at Glenwood Shop and I'm not certain how much of it is creditable. Regardless, the loco at its present location is definitely under threat and deserves a better fate after being so carefully preserved since 1954 by the railroad, while under Fred Okie's presidency.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:19 am 

Hello,

As a reminder, the 643 would fit nicely in a new roundhouse facility in Ohio. Some time ago I suggested this idea to that facility and they are aware of it.

Yes, it would be some distance form its original service territory but at this facility, it could be cared for and stored properly for future generations to enjoy in a first class railroad "retirement community" environment....similar to its storage residence for so many years.

It would get a great deal of exposure to the public and if seen up close would give vistors a true sense of size of this massive machine.

This reminds me, at one time, of the 2-6-6-6 resting inside a small shopping mall in Baltimore. When you walked in, it about took your breath away, very tight, low ceiling room, with a very, very large locomotive inside......as we know it did not stay there.

Fantasy ramblings......IMHO.

Randy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:47 am 

Valid observation Randy. About 2 years ago I did my best to get that plan to come to fruition and there was genuine interest on the part of Mr. Jacobson.

Unfortunatly it failed to materialize and with CSX about to do major track realignment that will landlock this machine,... I'm afraid her fate is sealed.

Major shame as other than JJJ's willingness to give her a permanent home in his beautiful facility ( and the financial wherewithall to get it there) there are no other viable options.

Sad but true.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:48 am 

Randy Musselman wrote:
Hello,

As a reminder, the 643 would fit nicely in a new roundhouse facility in Ohio. Some time ago I suggested this idea to that facility and they are aware of it.

Yes, it would be some distance form its original service territory but at this facility, it could be cared for and stored properly for future generations to enjoy in a first class railroad "retirement community" environment....similar to its storage residence for so many years.

It would get a great deal of exposure to the public and if seen up close would give vistors a true sense of size of this massive machine.

Randy

The problem, as has been discussed here before, has more to do with the present owner's resistance to part with the locomotive then it does with other interested parties to acquire it.

So for now, we stand on the other side of the fence and watch it rust.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:00 pm 

Tim hit the nail on the head. Very sadly once it becomes landlocked ( very soon) then the expense of getting it out of there will rise to a level that makes it almost certain that her eventual fate will be to be scrapped where is.

Due to her size she'd need to be disassembled into many pieces to be transported via truck and the expenses of the disassembly, reassembly, cranes on both ends, special trucking/permits etc., etc. will drive the cost into the mid six figures......and thus a killer.

Too darn bad he couldn't bring himself to say yes as now the final outcome ain't gonna be pretty!!

You can lead 'em to water.................................

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:32 pm 

The future of the former Mon Conn roundhouse in Pittsburgh is up in the air. A local group of artists, the Industrial Arts Coop, had been utilizing half of the facility until given a 60 day eviction notice last Thanksgiving. Two weeks ago they finished moving out of the building, and nobody knows what the future holds for it. The entire J&L Pittsburgh Works complex is being redeveloped into new uses that will forever erase any vestige of that land being the home of an integrated steel mill.

I was given permission to wander around the site, take some photos and salvage a few items. Here are the photos that I took of the complex:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/33523379@N03/albums/72157663500384330
It was too much to resist putting my hi-rail truck onto the turntable, so I did and thus probably the last rail vehicle to traverse the table occurred.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:07 pm 

Randy -- 1604 when still in the Baltimore mall

Attachments:
188c0420.jpg
188c0420.jpg [ 69.69 KiB | Viewed 11376 times ]
188c0410.jpg
188c0410.jpg [ 68.67 KiB | Viewed 11376 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:00 pm 

There was a plan to move B&LE 643 to Tarentum? Did that fall through?

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:37 pm 

It was never a viable plan to begin with. Just a hair brained proposal.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:14 pm 

I asked them on Facebook, and the person never responded back about the question I asked. The question was about the movement to Tarentum.