It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Typical railroad discussion board pattern:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:01 am 

1. Question.
2. Rhetorical question.
3. Token "we aren't worthy" post.
4. Sidebar question.
5. Ass kissing to the person who wrote the "we aren't worthy" post.
6. Random and far too frequently, "nobody-get's-the-inside-joke-except-two-people" post written in gibberish.
7. Official but politically correct response from someone who might have information.
8. Overblown praises for the useless post.
9. Photo of whatever subject engine way back in 1960 before retirement, irrelevant to the original question.
10. Another gibberish post in response to #6.
11. Original question restated by a different person.
12. Youtube video in similar spirit to #9 but still has nothing to do with the unanswered question.
13. Another politically correct response from someone who may have the answer but still avoids actually saying anything the general audience didn't already know.
14. Former employee chimes in with a very educated answer but smears several people in the process and often doesn't understand the differences in the reason for the original question in context to the last 10 years.
15. Ass kissing to #14.
16. More of #15.
17. Same as above, but a nostalgic story involving the author of #14 that has nothing to do with #1.
18. More of #15.
19. More of #6.
20. The actual, thoughtful answer to #1.
21. Praises and jokes about #12 and #14 written by the person who wrote the original question, but completely ignoring the answer written in #20.

...continued with my satire that was intended to make board posters think about the pattern, but instead will be picked apart by everyone.

Post subject: Re: Typical railroad discussion board pattern:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:43 pm 

I guess this response covers #'s 8, 6,4, 2 & 1....and possibly #10?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:50 am 

That screams of a certain other board...

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:00 pm 

Quote:
6. Random and far too frequently, "nobody-get's-the-inside-joke-except-two-people" post written in gibberish.

Like working with Cooter from FCEN.

Are we getting everything out of order now?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:23 am 

If either of the following statements leads the post, expect serious foam to follow:

Wouldn't it be really neat/cool if......

or

It's such a shame that.....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:30 pm 

You forgot the one where someone points out where post # 14 carries a huge error, and everyone dogpiles on the person posting that, because the poster for 14 can't be wrong about anything and nobody thought to even do a google search which would instantly show that the poster in 14 was indeed wrong after all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:54 pm 

And the attempted thread hijack by the guy who always wants to know the identity and history of some caboose or car in the background of a photo........

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:17 pm 

And then the moderators move it to the "Railfanning" page.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:50 pm 

And then one or more guys start new threads complaining that the thread was moved, about the moderators and their supposed parentage, and the 'usual suspects' (troll and otherwise) pile on accusing or defending or just inciting per their usual schtick.

And THEN one of them will get on the PM feature of the board, bulk mail everyone connected with the thread(s) a long dissociated jeremiad justifying their weird behavior ... to which half the recipients respond with some flavor of flame and the other half either complain 'why me?' or start their own complaints about why they need to read all the complaints in all the PMs. Indiscriminately.

Thing is, a topic like this is only funny in the context of a particular list (or typical group of lists) that has the particular idiosyncratic behavior. RyPN, for example, is coming up on the anniversary of the usual hoo-raw about April Fool's Day posting, and at times has been considerably more ... how should I put this judiciously? ... 'contentious' than it is even now. The Trains Magazine forums had their own 'classic' tropes at various historical 'epochs'. I won't cite the foamer lists. Each is different, and each has the hoary in-jokes that no 'outsiders' would get, just like many society meetings that come off heavy-handed because we don't know the foibles of the brothers.

Perhaps we need a humor piece that is more "RyPN specific". But then again ... maybe that is just what we don't.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:37 pm 

"April Fool's Day posting, and at times has been considerably more ... how should I put this judiciously? .."

Given how many things that were used as obviously impossible spoof material over the years that have or may come to pass-perhaps people should quit their complaining about what is apparently an effective rain dance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:24 pm 

Overmod wrote:
RyPN, for example, is coming up on the anniversary of the usual hoo-raw about April Fool's Day posting...

I loved your T1 Rust that you posted last year.

-Mark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:33 am 

Quote:
"Given how many things that were used as obviously impossible spoof material over the years that have or may come to pass-perhaps people should quit their complaining about what is apparently an effective rain dance.

I had not thought about this before, but it's kind of like a countervailing influence to the famous Trains Magazine jinx.

A bit like something I discovered when I was in my teens -- how to make Mr. Murphy fight Mr. Finagle to get you miracles you need. It's a bit like an early version of observer-based reality: get into Stanislavskian character that you WANT the thing to happen that inconveniences you. (For instance, approaching a green light that under normal circumstances would go yellow just in time to stab your schedule, think "I'm speeding, and really need to be saved from myself ... hope that light turns yellow!" Then it almost never does! (Of course the pound of psychic flesh needs to be paid; you really have to feel disappointed for a while that you didn't have to stop ... but that's a relatively small price to pay, isn't it?

Mark, I have to confess I don't remember "T1 Rust' being mine, although I piled on afterward.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:13 am 

I tried but I could not resist...

22. Create thread in Railfanning generalizing the eb and flow of responses on a discussion board.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:06 pm 

As for the Arpil 1 nonsense, I always thought it'd be a good idea for someone to post news on something people wouldn't like on that day, so that others wouldn't be sure if it was real and not make such a ruckus for fear of being made to look the fool if it's a fake story.
Then, it could be said, "Hey, we did tell everyone, don't you recall?"