It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OT - Windows 10
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:05 am 

Well maybe not off-topic, since our computers are essential in participation on RYPN as well as many of the supporting activities at Railroad Museums.

Those of you who have tried Windows 10, how are you doing with it?

Any helpful hints to share with the rest of the group, particularly regarding:

Upgrade from previous operating systems to Windows 10?

Ability to support older software?

Any unexpected glitches?

PC

Post subject: Re: OT - Windows 10
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:24 am 

It seems to work fine on my wife's five year old Dell e6220 laptop.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:57 am 

I upgraded my old HP laptop from 7 to 10 - no issues other than for some reason, if I'm scrolling and then want to move the cursor with the touch pad, there's a slight delay before it responds. I very recently bought a less old HP laptop to be the eventual replacement with 8, which I despise, and immediately upgraded it to 10 which looks much different than the upgraded 7 version - i suppose it depends on which version you upgrade. At least the cursor sluggishness seems to not be present in this version. I'm sorry they ever left XP myself. My desktop is slogging on Vista, and I wish there was an upgrade to 10 for that. My HPs have a 2.4 I3 and I4processor and 6 gigs of memory, desktop an Athlon 2.4 processor and 8 gigs of ram. Haven't noticed any loss in speed due to the upgrade.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:16 pm 

I upgraded from 7 to 10 in beta phase , now full 10. You do need to pay close attention to your security settings, many articles (web search) have been written about this. The decision are yours regarding how visible and accessible the device is to the outside world.
The 10 platform has breathed new life into a lot of older PC's with few problems, In my opinion it is worth the upgrade.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:41 pm 

Upgraded to 10 from 8.1 several months ago, and the results were excellent. I recommend it highly.
Alan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:24 pm 

I upgraded an older (8 year old) HP desktop running Win 7 home and an older Acer laptop running Win 7 home to Win 10. Happy with the results. The upgrade was relatively painless - but - did have a problem with one of them (don't remember which) which win restore did wonders. I have a newer Lenovo E11 win 10 pro laptop (very basic). The older machines are just as fast as the newer Lenovo. Upgrading did a world of good speeding up the desktop startup time. Good luck!
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:15 pm 

I don't mess around with stock computers, so I might be a bit of an exception where I built my own. So far Windows 10 has worked wonders. The full Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative suites work flawlessly. Beyond that I can't say much more... Comes down to my specs verses your everyday computer's specs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:33 pm 

I was reluctant to upgrade my 3 year-old ASUS laptop from Windows 7 after hearing horror stories with Windows 8. When Microsoft offered a free upgrade to 10, I finally took the plunge. Other than taking about 6 hours to download the upgrade (very slow DSL service), I only had 3 problems. Two of my wife's favorite games kept flickering like a strobe light. After consulting with the company that produced them, I had to change the settings from full-screen to running in a window. The third piece of software (Nero) wouldn't run, so I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it and it ran fine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:07 pm 

Roger, thanks for that input, I have had the same thing happen during a Windows 10 upgrade, certain programs will not function after the conversion, but will work normally if removed and reinstalled.

PC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:27 pm 

Running it since August, and it was the easiest and most pain free upgrade I've ever done. Like upgrading your iphone, you don't even need to reinstall anything it's all there.

I did encounter two problems. Windows Live Mail wouldn't work until I figured out how to run it in compatibility mode.

More annoying was Quickbooks. They insist that you need Quickbooks 2016 to run under Windows 10. Now I see NO reason it couldn't work in compatibility mode for older versions, but they've made certain it does not. I think Intuit is greedy and simply wants to sell you an upgrade. Speaking of upgrades, don't fall for their "Special Upgrade Offer", you can buy the full version from Amazon for less than what they charge for the upgrade (Thus my opinion of how greedy they are).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:53 pm 

Hi,

Just for argument(?), I have three desktops running. I designed and built an interface (mechanical hardware, electrical hardware, and computer software) to control a traditional 9" metal lathe from an old IBM AT in the early 1990s. I ported it over to my 6" Atlas metal lathe and Enco Drill-Mill also.

In about 2004, I became income challanged.

Two of my PCs still run XP and run my DOS programs fine. I upgraded my third PC to Win 7 and found issues with my DOS programs a couple of years ago. I think it is that my DOS programs are 8 bit and Win 7 is 64 bit.

Oh well, I am a bit behind if I could afford upgrading. :)

Doug vV

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:18 pm 

It has a lot of features I really like, but it's not as intuitive as Windows 7. There is a learning curve and some of the changes are great improvements, but rather new ways to present by repackaging. Windows 10 is nothing to be afraid of, and knocks Windows 8 out of the park.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:58 pm 

I have a variety of OSs around here. An old computer with XP on it. Another with 7 on it along with a new Dell with 7 and my laptop with 10.
10 downloaded and installed itself on my wife's all in one which I though was rather pretentioous. It had 8 on it and does run better with 10. I kept XP because my old ALPS printer won't work with anything newer.
Actually they're all a PITA.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:08 pm 

Did two machines this weekend, completely different results, same manufacturer.

First one went relatively flawless, frankly, can't think of anything that went wrong.

Second one is the digital train wreck; although it passed the 'compatible' check, the video card is not supported and no drivers are available from either the manufacturer or Microsoft, dropped back to SVGA 1024x768 resolution and no dual monitor support. Then it hit the 'cannot rename folders' problem that seems to plague Windows 10, and I still can't find resolution on that either. The machine isn't 3 years old yet.

I had a software upgrade that wouldn't run on 7, which pushed me to these two, but after this, I'll continue to delay to give everybody as much time as possible to work bugs like this out. If I didn't have plenty of functioning units in the office, this would have been severe enough for me to fall back to Win7.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:59 pm 

Quote:
They insist that you need Quickbooks 2016 to run under Windows 10.

Thanks for the heads-up. That makes it a non-starter for me/my organization.

(For non-profits, note that QuickBooks is available at a heavily discounted price through Techsoup.org, but I'd rather spend even the discounted cost on locomotive parts.)