It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GE 45 ton Switch Serial Number
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:09 pm 

Where is the serial number located on a GE 45 ton switch? I tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything that answered this question. Over the years the data plate may have been lost, but where would that be found? If that is lost is there anywhere a serial number would be stamped in? I have been told before that there may be a stamping on the frame above the knuckle or by the ladders. With the many coats of paint I have had no luck and before I get the wire wheel out I would like to narrow the location down a little more. Any help would be appreciated. In need of some parts and it seems a serial number is needed to do that.

Kyle

Post subject: Re: GE 45 ton Switch Serial Number
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:06 pm 

Ours has a brass tag on the left front edge of the walkway, just behind the step. I am assuming that yours does not have the tag anymore. Might want to call Logan Corp and see if they can give you an idea.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:11 pm 

On many GEs of the industrial type the serial number is stamped on the frame either underneath the plate or where the plate was once attached in the case of 45Ts it's probably going to be on the frame below center of cab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:50 am 

The response about the serial being stamped UNDER the builder's plate is correct. However it is often so rusted in that location that nothing is visible. There is another indirect way to identify industrial GEs. Stamped above the coupler pocket on one end of the frame will be the "batch number." GE built these little ones in batches of between 1 and 20 units, usually 10 or 20 at a time for the smaller models. Each batch had an identifying number, followed by a dash, then a sequence number. Within each batch the sequence numbers were in the order of the GE 5-digit loco serial numbers. The trick is to correlate the batch number to a particular group of GE serials. There are some industrial loco fans who have made a study of this correlation. I'm not one of them. But if you can find the batch and dash number, post it here and you may luck out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:17 pm 

Regarding batch numbers: Your 45 tonner may or may not have the batch number stamped in the frame. We have two 45 tonners at the R&GVRRM: one built in 1941, the other built in 1950. Our 1941 built locomotive does not have a stamped batch number. Our 1950 built locomotive does: 281-4580-10

281 = domestic switcher
45 = weight in tons
80 = 80th order of 45 tonners
10 = 10th locomotive built in the 80th order

The stamping was located dead center on the pilot, right below the deck. The stamping is shallow, so you probably need to remove the paint to find it.

Locomotive:

http://rgvrrm.org/about/railroad/rge1950/index.htm

Photo of the stamping:

Good luck!

Rochester and Genesee Valley Railroad Museum
http://www.rgvrrm.org

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:42 pm 

You can usually also find your serial/build number on the inside of the engineer's door frame, near the door latch pocket. I forget if it was above, below or just inside. This seems to be the case in the 25, 30, 44, 45 ton switchers. It was discussed a few years ago, I forget if it was here or on a yahoo forum (probably Loconotes). I know I have seen them on our 25 & 44 tonner, never checked our 45 tonner.

Regards
Rich C.
CT Eastern RR Museum