It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: That car in the woods only you know about
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:35 pm 

Hi friends,

Every so often, I like to ask this question to see what's lurking out there in the deep dark night...

"What is the most interesting abandoned railroad relic in the woods/scrapyard/backyard that you know of?"

I'll start... it is hardly worth anything but a look, but I loved the charred remains of a wooden coach that languished by the old turntable site in Butler, NJ off the Susie-Q.

Et tu?

Rob Davis

trains@robertjohndavis.com

Post subject: Re: That car in the woods only you know about
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:28 pm 

> Hi friends,
> Et tu?
> Rob Davis

It ain't in the woods but NKP54 makes you wanna cry!

lamontdc@adelphia.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:54 pm 

For me, it is a 1892 Climax, 2-truck Shay at Chain-of-Lakes Resort outside Romayor, Tx. Only a frame and boiler now but must have been something when it ran.

retsquid@tvec.net

Post subject: Re: That car in the woods only you know about *PIC*
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:44 pm 

How about a nice wooden snowplow? This former St.J&LC relic sits forlornly in Morrisville, VT waiting for the line to be reactivated.

Could be a long wait.

SJHussar@aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:22 pm 

My favorite derilict is a WWII era US Army European Service boxcar that somehow ended up on a side road near the north end of the Reading's Perkasie Tunnel. The last time I looked it was far enough gone that a restoration would be a case of "jacking up the car number..."

wrallenassoc@earthlink.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:22 pm 

There really isn't anything out there that only *I* know about, thanks to the efforts of Dave Conrad et al, but I can nominate a bunch of relatively out-of-sight or off-the-radar items:

> Preston/West Va. Northern 2-8-0s 18 and 19, still rusting on private property on a field near Madley, Pa. beyond the reach of all, and basically beyond hope. (also on the site: ruins of a wooden B&O caboose and two 600mm-gauge German saddletankers?)

> A couple preserved freight cars in a roadside park that I remember spotting in a roadside park along Rt. 40 somewhere in southwestern Pa. during one of my sleep-deprived foggy trips.....

> The five Pullman day coaches (four ex-PRR, one ex-NYC, one a former duplex prototype) and various freight cars preserved at the White Deer Railroad Museum of the Central Pa. Chapter NRHS at White Deer, Pa. (former Reading main line), which have long escaped attention and restoration and are now landlocked by the flood-induced collapse of the span over White Deer Creek (there's another way out, but someone would have to slash through several miles of abandoned track to the north).

> Thankfully, the long-secret Hampton & Branchville Edwards motor car has been preserved by the North Carolina Transportation Museum, after decades of time-capsule storage in a shed at the railroad offices.

> I have seen museum-sized, museum-quality collections of such things as steam whistles, number plates, toy trains, and other memorabilia, including two such massive collections in buildings best described as James-Bond-scale deception--buildings looking like demolition candidates or seedy barns on the outside with art-gallery-like lighting and displays inside.

If I think about this long enough, I'll come up with more...........

lner4472@bcpl.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:45 pm 

> There really isn't anything out there that
> only *I* know about, thanks to the efforts
> of Dave Conrad et al, but I can nominate a
> bunch of relatively out-of-sight or
> off-the-radar items:

> If I think about this long enough, I'll come
> up with more...........

The ones that get to me right now....
Three "standard" 40' steel box cars that languished near the old Sherwin Williams plant on the south side of Chicago (not far from the old Pullman Works complex.) The cars remained in box car red but rusty and faded and although viewable from I90 (the Bishop Ford Expressway) were too far away to see who their original owners were. They were apparently used for storage (probably of some bad chemicals.) And then not too long ago, they were all painted in gray. Ah, the company was at least keeping them in decent shape and protecting them from the weather. Now there seemed no need to rush to find out what railroads they were from! And then just recently I went by the plant for the first time in quite a while and.....they are GONE! Closer examination of the property revealed that the whole plant is being cleaned up (scrapped out.) So where WERE the cars from? Was one of them Monon box car #1? Or Chicago & North Western box car #1? Or one of the Rock Islands 1952 centennial painted boxcars? Or a boxcar from the Chicago & Alton? Or some other long gone railroad? Now I will never know! The lesson here is.....don't wait. At least speak up for what you are interested in. You never know...you might even get it AND just maybe save something that is important!

Les Beckman (Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum/North Judson, Indiana)

midlandblb@cs.com

Post subject: Truely lost in the woods
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:27 am 

Located on a mountain side near Mt Shasta in Northern California are a two pairs of very beat, much rebuilt disconnect log trucks from Marshutz & Cantrell, and a Carter style 15 ton capacity flatcar complete with link and pin couplers, all narrow gauge.

There are a scatter of logging camp debris aboutÂ…

It would likely take a large Hello to get the stuff out, then lots of time and money to make anything but a collection of rusty metal logging debris out of it.

But it is magical to find the cars as you hike along the right of way.

Randy Hees

http://spcrr.org
hees@ix.netcom.com

Post subject: Re: Truely lost in the woods
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:27 am 

Randy
Hmm, can we say LaMoine Lumber Co. RR??? Hmmm, I had heard about these cars back in my high school days! Now if you could just find that locomotive that is supposedly still out there!
S'
David D.

djdewey@cncnet.com

Post subject: Re: That car in the woods everybody knows about
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:50 am 

Hows about the skeleton of the Lake Shore Electric Railway Birney that grins at you whenever you go over the hill down to the carbarns at Milan, OH ?

lamontdc@adelphia.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:00 am 

I've heard rumor of a few log cars and assorted rail debris in the White Mountains of New Hampshire left behind by the EB&L and J.E. Henry's earlier operations. I've never seen it for myself but I know there would be alot more if the CCC had not conducted a cleanup back in the 30's; they cut up three complete engines abandoned in the woods.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:40 am 

> Hi friends,

> Every so often, I like to ask this question
> to see what's lurking out there in the deep
> dark night...

> "What is the most interesting abandoned
> railroad relic in the
> woods/scrapyard/backyard that you know
> of?"

> I'll start... it is hardly worth anything
> but a look, but I loved the charred remains
> of a wooden coach that languished by the old
> turntable site in Butler, NJ off the
> Susie-Q.

> Et tu?

> Rob Davis

I wonder what might be left of the wooden Bangor & Aroostook coach that was in Jim Robinson's yard in Hancock, NH. It was an 1880's vintage Jackson and Sharp. At least the trucks were so marked. Are they still around?

wrj494@aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:55 am 

Here are a few I can think of:

1. I remember reading an article in an old issue of L&RP about two steam engines up in the middle of some woods in Maine. I'm not sure what their current condition is.

2. There are 2 long-since-painted-over boxcars sitting at Greenwich Jct. on The Battenkill RR in Salem, NY. One of them has a small McGuiness logo showing it's outline through the paint.

3. The neatest I have (n)ever seen is this ex-GT caboose I found on the internet at an old abandoned amusement park in Madina, Ohio. Check out the link, scroll to and click on "Current Photos" and scroll down to the "Caboose" section

Chippewa Falls Amusement Park
ordway1440@aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:25 am 

Would this be one of the french cars that came over after the war?
> My favorite derilict is a WWII era US Army
> European Service boxcar that somehow ended
> up on a side road near the north end of the
> Reading's Perkasie Tunnel. The last time I
> looked it was far enough gone that a
> restoration would be a case of "jacking
> up the car number..."

karenandray@juno.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:29 am 

How about the Lackawanna 200 series heavyweight coach in Williams Grove, PA?

Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society
tstuy@eldcps.org