It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Kentucky Jim Crow coach
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:54 am 

Presumably other people knew about this one, since it was in an abandoned yard in the middle of, I think, Glasgow, Kentucky. There a local Project 1225 member showed me a seriously-deteriorated hulk of a composite (steel frame, wood-bodied) Jim Crow coach, one of the more remarkable derelicts I've come across. This was over 10 years ago, so I suspect it's gone by now.

Aarne Frobom
The Steam Railroading Institute
P. O. Box 665
Owosso, MI 48867

Post subject: Re: That car in the woods only you know about
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:07 am 

The lesson here
> is.....don't wait. At least speak up for
> what you are interested in. You never
> know...you might even get it AND just maybe
> save something that is important!

> Les Beckman (Hoosier Valley Railroad
> Museum/North Judson, Indiana)

Les makes a very important observation here. For example, simply by asking about them, there are now saved 4 Atlantic Coast Line Class O-27 box cars and what may possibly be the last intact carbody of an ACL Class O-25 boxcar. (Hundreds of these cars were rebuilt into the Class M-5 cabooses in the 1960s.) The O-27s were at a plant, where they sat unused and deteriorating for the better part of 20 years, while the O-25 was serving as a storage shed sans trucks and anything else the RR could salvage when it was sold off. All it took was inquiring to see if they might be available, and then working with the owners/donors to move them off property. "All it took" is a misleadng statement - it took quite a bit of time and effort to arrange, but in the long run they did not cost a penny of museum money to move to the museum. Now that saved money can be used to restore them.

Now, to work on that 1924-vintage Central of Georgia partitioned coach hidden (and rusting away) behind the buildings, and that 1942 CofG door-and-a-half boxcar body, and that....!

Stephen Syfrett

ssyfrett@bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:38 am 

> "What is the most interesting abandoned
> railroad relic in the
> woods/scrapyard/backyard that you know
> of?"

The remains of #85, a Birney from Aurora, Ill. which by now is just a pile of scrap metal in the trees alongside the Batavia branch. I'll have to take a picture of it soon before the leaves start to sprout. It's so bad even Nick wouldn't want it.

> Et tu?

Sic, atque ego.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:36 am 

There's a 3' gauge Shay abandoned in the woods near Sumeter, SC. Used by a short-lived logger called Sumter Pine & Cypress. It's in BAD shape. I have a page on it on my Geocities site but unfortunately the photos aren't sowing up. I haven't had a chance to go in and figure out why.

http://www.geocities.com/scrmcurator
mconrad@compuzone.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:40 am 

> How about a nice wooden snowplow? This
> former St.J&LC relic sits forlornly in
> Morrisville, VT waiting for the line to be
> reactivated.

> Could be a long wait.

Hi Steve. I took photos of that plow just a year or so ago. The plow and the flatcar(s?) were a terrific find. Photos of that area from the old days are very interesting to look at, now that I've been there.

laflamcs@hotmail.com

Post subject: photos please...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:56 pm 

This is all interesting stuff. If you have photos of these subjects, please let us see them.

ryarger@rypn.org

Post subject: That car in the woods: Mich., N.C., Ohio Stories
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:15 pm 

> Hows about the skeleton of the Lake Shore
> Electric Railway Birney that grins at you
> whenever you go over the hill down to the
> carbarns at Milan, OH ?

in that same vain:

-The last surviving piece of ex-Detroit, Caro &
Sandusky equipment, namely DC&S caboose body #1.
Last seen in farmer's field near Sandusky,
Michigan.
-The ex-PRR 40-foots sitting on a siding at an
abandoned factory on the southside of Wooster,
Ohio.
-All those interurban and trolley carbodies along
I-70 in Buckeye Lake, Ohio.
-The narrow gauge boxcar bodies I saw on some
back road in the Mountains of North Carolina
that I will never find again (there were four if
I remember)
-The ex-GTW wig-wag from Leonard, Michigan now in
the front yard of the retired MofW head on
Rattle Run Road near Smiths Creek, Michigan.
-Manistee & Northeastern #643, potentially the
last surviving wood-bodied PM or M&NE combine
left, supposedly sitting in a field near
Traverse City, Michigan somewhere.

O.k., I'd better stop.

TJ Gaffney

Port Huron Museum
tjgaffney@phmuseum.org

Post subject: Re: That car in the woods only you know about *PIC*
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:30 pm 

Prairie Du Chein, WI - MILW cabooses (1 wood, many steel), CB&Q coaches, CB&Q observation car, and various ex-BN MOW cars at various locations around town, all uncared for and rusting/rotting away. (All owned by same person.)

Boyd

ddg14@attbi.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:57 pm 

> railroad relic in the
> of?"

Years before I got interested in relics, I saw a short (50 ft.?) wooden open vestibule coach being re-sided in the proper manner in a backyard in north central Kansas (Concordia??). It was de-trucked, and the newer parts were being painted C&NW style.

There is a de-trucked, steel-sheathed wooden sleeper obs (ex "Constellation" or "Constitution")used as a summer home overlooking the Des Plaines River southwest of Chicago. It has the best wood-paneled interior of any car I've seen and all of the original fittings- including the canvas that pulls across the berths to keep cinders off the linen.

fred_ash@bankone.com

Post subject: Passenger Cars in Prairie Du Chein
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:39 pm 

In Re:

"CB&Q coaches, CB&Q observation car, and various ex-BN MOW cars at various locations around town,
all uncared for and rusting/rotting away.
(All owned by same person.)"

I too have heard about these cars. Do you have a list of numbers, or know of any photos of this equipment? Do you know who the owner is? I heard rumors last summer that the equipment was going to be scrapped soon but I do not know if this took place or not.

rrhistorian@hotmail.com

Post subject: Prairie Du Chein Collection *PIC*
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:49 pm 

Just thought I'd ad a little more info on Prairie Du Chein for those who've never heard of the situation there. The owner of the railroad cars mentioned is a "collector" of many things. His "collection" includes the railroad equipment, a railroad hotel, a railroad depot, a turntable, many church steeples, a log cabin, and a Mississippi river towboat, to name just some of what he has. The majority of what he owns is just rusting/rotting away. But he just keeps adding to his "collection" and not doing much with most of it. Basicly another Buckeye Lake situation as I understand what's happening there.

Boyd

ddg14@attbi.com

Post subject: Re: Passenger Cars in Prairie Du Chein
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:55 pm 

It's all still there (as of last Dec, anyway). Unfortunately I haven't yet located my photos of it to scan yet. Don't know any car numbers either unfortunately. The owner is Mr. Blair Dillman.

Boyd

ddg14@attbi.com

Post subject: Re: That car in the woods only some know about
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:04 pm 

Ohio River and Western narrow gauge coach (who's number escapes me) near Adamsville, Ohio. Just the wooden carbody up on blocks.

drotarinoh@webtv.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:54 pm 

> railroad relic in the
> of?"

The remains of what may have been a streetcar (I can't tell for sure) along Georgia highway 20, just west of Rome.

Alan Maples

AMaples@aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:05 pm 

Don't forget the Tuscarora Valley narrow gauge coach (sans trucks) hidden somewhere in the mountains of south central Pennsylvania, and the two open air wooden boxcars from the defunct Wawa & Concordville RR in Concordville, Pa. One of my favorite tucked away hidden "discoveries" when I was a kid was the ex-LIRR Cooke steam rotary snowplow (replete with Belpaire) formerly owned by Ron Ziel that was stashed on an obscure siding on the Black River & Western north of Lambertville, NJ, but alas, it has since gone off to Steamtown in Scranton.

Also, who could forget the PRR T-1 kept under lock and key in a Pittsburgh steel mill:):)

Did I just say that??? Pinch me.

K.R. Bell

> Hi friends,

> Every so often, I like to ask this question
> to see what's lurking out there in the deep
> dark night...

> railroad relic in the
> of?"

> I'll start... it is hardly worth anything
> but a look, but I loved the charred remains
> of a wooden coach that languished by the old
> turntable site in Butler, NJ off the
> Susie-Q.

> Et tu?

> Rob Davis

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next