It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: That car in the woods only you know about
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:58 pm 

My favs are the Newport & Shermans Valley boxcars that turn up in Perry County from time to time, as well as a TV (?) boxcar on an obscure side road off Route 35 south of Reeds Gap. There used to be a TV boxcar outside Port Royal, but it has disappeared.

K4s1361@hotmail.com

Post subject: The N&SV Waycar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:00 pm 

> Don't forget the Tuscarora Valley narrow
> gauge coach (sans trucks) hidden somewhere
> in the mountains of south central
> Pennsylvania..........

Hidden in plain sight, you mean.

It's actually a "waycar" or converted caboose, at Little Buffalo State Park in Perry County, Pa., actually right along the right-of-way of the N&SV right below the big reservoir dam. It's accessible by footpath from several parking lots, has been keenly restored and has photos and displays inside (open on a certain schedule).

Little Buffalo SP website
lner4472@bcpl.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:11 pm 

> Preston/West Va. Northern 2-8-0s 18 and 19, still rusting on private property on a field near Madley, Pa. beyond the reach of all, and basically beyond hope. (also on the site: ruins of a wooden B&O caboose and two 600mm-gauge German saddletankers?)

Latest rumor is that these have been sold, but I do know whom, and I do not think they have moved yet. I know someone who made a legitimate offer three years ago, but the owner passed on the offer at the time.

The wooden caboose is actually a PRR N6b cabin.

The saddle tankers are across the road in in "operable" condition inside the owners shop, which also doubles as the cable television provider for that particular "holler". I think he has a little picnic for the locals once or twice a year and runs the tankers.

This is not a place to trespass, but if properly introduced the owner is very hospitable.

SZuidervee@aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:53 pm 

About 1975, Jerry Hebda, then with Steamtown, now Pres. of Green Mountain Rwy., took me on a jaunt into the Vermont hills west of Brattleboro, following the trail of the old West River RR ("36 Miles of Trouble" was the little book about that road). I recall stopping at a farm where the ROW passed through, and Jerry pointing out a narrow gage boxcar body still being used as a farm shed. It's probably still there.

hpincus@mindspring.com

Post subject: My list
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:27 pm 

1. McCloud River Lumber Company home-built railbus, looks like a McKeen car with rounded ends. Built about 1925 by the McCloud company, used to transport loggers back and forth from the camps to the harvesting operations. Abandoned at Kinyon, CA (about 13 miles east of McCloud). Kinyon was the last permanent logging camp of the lumber company (active from about 1947 until 1963). Car is located about 100 feet off of the McCloud Railway Company main on the remains of an old siding.

2. McCloud River Railroad wooden snowplow (box plow/flanger). One of two built about 1939 in the McCloud shops, in regular service up until January 1993 when it wrecked itself while plowing snow in the Ditch Creek area. Abandoned where it came to rest, about 30 feet off of the tracks, on a hillside.

3. There are a number of old boxcars/outfit cars/etc. in use on ranches out through eastern Nevada, and many more out on the range at well locations.

4. Between Beowawe and Crescent Valley in Nevada (south of I-80 between Battle Mountain and Elko) there is a badly decomposed carcass of an ancient wooden coach and the frame of a caboose on a piece of private ground off of the state highway.

jamoore@elko.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:38 pm 

Another one - This one's been my favorite since I was young, because I used to play on it (the owner was a family friend), and amazingly was still there the last time I visited home. I can't recall for sure, but I think it's a Davenport, although it may be a Plymouth (gotta actually stop and see for sure some time), but anyway, it's sitting in the middle of the truck yard at Coonrod Wrecker and Crane Service in Cedar Rapids, IA. They've also got a few steel boxcars of unknown origin around for used storage.

Boyd

ddg14@attbi.com

Post subject: The Preston RR 2-8-0s
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:56 pm 

> Latest rumor is that these have been sold,
> but I do know whom, and I do not think they
> have moved yet. I know someone who made a
> legitimate offer three years ago, but the
> owner passed on the offer at the time.

I believe I know who you're referring to, and I understand both offers fell through.

> The wooden caboose is actually a PRR N6b
> cabin.

Not that there's enough left to tell.... when I found it in the late 1980s, the termites holding hands was all holding it together....

> The saddle tankers are across the road in in
> "operable" condition inside the
> owners shop, which also doubles as the cable
> television provider for that particular
> "holler". I think he has a little
> picnic for the locals once or twice a year
> and runs the tankers.

> This is not a place to trespass, but if
> properly introduced the owner is very
> hospitable.

Interesting report. I was treated inhospitably in 1989 because I found the one loco without passing any "no trespassing" signs (following the RR right of way, and no, the signs he said were up were missing) and without anybody being "home" to inquire; I was found when he returned, saw me, and swooped in to confiscate my film without my even having taken any photos.

My mother formerly ran the newspaper in Bedford County, and the current newspaper editor and owner (in 1989) let in on a bit of the history of the family that owned the locos. I won't divulge any specifics, but suffice it to say that I was left with the distinct impression that the then-current owner of the steamers were antisocial enough to scrap the locos out of spite, even if the offer had been $10 million from Disney or whatever. If anyone can confirm the now-friendly demeanor of the owners, I would finally give that quartet a prayer of a chance of survival.

lner4472@bcpl.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:54 pm 

A wood frame caboose of an unknown railroad, with buffer spring plates still bolted to the wood sills, maybe built from a boxcar, near Hillman, Minnesota
An old end door auto boxcar next to the tracks in Independence, Iowa, I don't know if either is still there.

2rivers@upstel.net

Post subject: Re: The N&SV Waycar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:02 am 

> Hidden in plain sight, you mean.

> It's actually a "waycar" or
> converted caboose, at Little Buffalo State
> Park in Perry County, Pa., actually right
> along the right-of-way of the N&SV right
> below the big reservoir dam. It's accessible
> by footpath from several parking lots, has
> been keenly restored and has photos and
> displays inside (open on a certain
> schedule).

You're mixing up your railroads, Sandy. I know well the car at Little Buffalo, as well as the Tuscarora Valley coach Kurt referred to, which is actually a couple of valleys west of Little Buffalo. (And by the way, another N&SV boxcar came out of hiding a couple of years ago and now resides along Route 34 a few miles west of Route 15.)

K4s1361@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:19 am 

I can't believe nobody has posted the remains of the two coaches - heritage probably Midland Terminal(?) in a field near Victor, Colorado.

Maybe they are gone now?

Anybody know what disposition may have been made of the 2-8-0 boiler used in stationary service at a nearby mill?

dave

Post subject: Re: The Preston RR 2-8-0s
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:00 am 

I have seen the equipment, at the invitation of the owner, and I do not believe it is in any danger of being scrapped.

Alan Maples

AMaples@aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:33 pm 

> Would this be one of the french cars that
> came over after the war?

I doubt it. The last time I took a good look at it there was a USA "bumper number" still visible on one end. I believe it was one of the cars that was built here for foriegn service, never used in its intended role and eventually sold as surplus. It appeared to have been used a shed for some time.

wrallenassoc@earthlink.net

Post subject: Re: The Preston RR 2-8-0s
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:04 pm 

> I have seen the equipment, at the invitation
> of the owner, and I do not believe it is in
> any danger of being scrapped.

> Alan Maples

Maybe, unless people keep bad mouthing him on Internet forums!

Rob

trains@robertjohndavis.com

Post subject: Vermont 3' footers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:10 pm 

Wow. I've poked arund half of the West River. Haven't found much. Time to get back out there!

Rob

trains@robertjohndavis.com

Post subject: Re: That car in the woods only some know about
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 6:59 pm 

> Ohio River and Western narrow gauge coach
> (who's number escapes me) near Adamsville,
> Ohio. Just the wooden carbody up on blocks.

It is Number 9. I last visited it in early November, not much left. The middle of the roof is almost completely gone.

downdrikson@bright.net

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next