It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PRR 1361 article in the Aug 7, 2016 Altoona Mirror newspaper
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:03 pm 

The Altoona Mirror newspaper published an August 7, 2016 article about PRR 1361. The article is online, but behind a paywall: Believers keep hopes alive of K-4 under steam.

(The newspaper's website sells 24-hour access for $10, in case anyone wants to pay to read it.)

Post subject: Re: PRR 1361 article in the Aug 7, 2016 Altoona Mirror newsp
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:16 pm 

Chris Webster wrote:
The Altoona Mirror newspaper published an August 7, 2016 article about PRR 1361. The article is online, but behind a paywall: Believers keep hopes alive of K-4 under steam.

(The newspaper's website sells 24-hour access for $10, in case anyone wants to pay to read it.)

Can't you cut and paste the article? Paying 10 dollars for 24 hour access to read one article is ludicrous.

C.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:48 pm 

If good news about 1361 surfaces, we'll hear about it in good time from other sources, for a lot less money.

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:34 pm 

Good news travels slowly, bad news has wings.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:39 pm 

A poster on the fan page on facebook posted two pictures of the article as it appeared in the paper. You will most likely need to zoom in to read it more clearly. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:05 am 

As an Altoona resident. the only thing I can say is...

Do NOT trust the Altoona Mirror to keep their staff's personal grudges out of their reporting.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:17 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
T.E.P wrote:
As an Altoona resident. the only thing I can say is...

Do NOT trust the Altoona Mirror to keep their staff's personal grudges out of their reporting.

Elaborate on why there would be "personal grudges" involved.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:46 am 

I think instead of accurately reporting news, the reporter would inject personal observations..IE-grudge- if any.

I think whats happenned they'v e built a place for the engine and surround it with the needs for it like people, space and so on, then the engine can get proper repairs.

Unlike 765 which was go at is best as you can out in the open they seem to be taking their time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:14 am 

dinwitty wrote:
I think instead of accurately reporting news, the reporter would inject personal observations..IE-grudge- if any.

I think whats happenned they'v e built a place for the engine and surround it with the needs for it like people, space and so on, then the engine can get proper repairs.

Unlike 765 which was go at is best as you can out in the open they seem to be taking their time.

Essentially, that was my implication, but the editors apparently let it slide. Bitterness runs deep when it comes to 1361, especially in PRR circles (anyone read The Keystone a few years ago?) and Altoona. More than structural/mechanical issues, the ARMM and this engine have a massive PR battle ahead of them. Thus, in this case, the local paper may not have been the best choice when the reporter is likely among those needing won over.*

*Personal opinions.

There's some truth in there. Just...grain of salt, guys. The fact that 5 guys from JLS are chipping at it once a week is true, because I've met them face to face in the roundhouse. That said, I must admit I'm trying to avoid replying too much because I was asked not to say much and I would like to avoid possibly saying something inaccurate.

DISCLAIMER: I am not involved with the project. My only association is that of a life membership (rare as those are now) and some contacts with the volunteers.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:07 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
dinwitty wrote:

I would discretely suggest that when the public and news media has been, shall we say, misled in the past (intentionally or no) about this project, the locomotive's condition, et al, the concept of "accurately reporting news" is about as valid a concept as nailing bacon grease to the wall or listening for factual statements from a campaigning politician.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:09 pm 

I would rather wait for more official information from the 1361 group than an offbeat attention getting news report.

I havent read the report, hint us what their talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:03 pm 

dinwitty wrote:
I would rather wait for more official information from the 1361 group than an offbeat attention getting news report.

I havent read the report, hint us what their talking about.

You just said you wanted to wait for official information? If so, why do you care what the newspaper says?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:29 pm 

I did read it, and it seems to be mostly quotes from friendly people working on the project. My BS detector didn't go off on the reporter. Would it be too much to ask that reading the story be required before complaining about its content?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:14 pm 

this guy did a better job summarizing.

http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/Alto ... cle?page=1

Quote:

Good evening, before I go any further with this I would like to say one thing, you steam, guys don't shoot the messenger !!!!!!!!!

Yesterday I picked up the Altoona Mirror Sunday Edition and there on the front page the headlines read,

"Banked Fires, Believers Keep Hopes Alive Of K4 Under Steam"

The writer of the column was Mr. William Kibler.

Mr Kibler has written several articles about the K4 over the years for the paper.

The article was about the current state of the locomotive along with a volunteer group that is working going thru creates of parts and pieces and checking off what needs to be repaired and what is already finished.

A gentlemen by the name of Mike Reindi of Altoona is the head of this group.

Norfolk Southern has a small part of helping Mr Reindi and his group.

Another group is involved but their name was not disclosed just referenced several times thru the article.

The largest sticking point appears to be the boiler and the decision to repair what they have or build a replacement boiler so the engine could be steamed up and operate at 205 psi of steam pressure.

The articles leans toward the new boiler but at this time this has not been determined.

I tried to copy the article and attache it to this Email but had no luck.

You can go on the papers web site and see the article.

Back on Page A8 there is more about the locomotive and a time line since this engine was retired up 2015.

At least there is a small flicker at the end of the dark tunnel for this locomotive.

I am on measly 56k and fighting Akamai routing service linkages I can't block, making facebook almost useless, I am in a high speed hole and yes I have looked hard.

Like any restorations its "when its done", you can always guess finish time. Or like Reading 2101's restoration time in 1 month for the Freedom Train, its a matter of how much effort time you have behind the project and how much needs to be done. The steam railroads could do it in 2 weeks.

Were talking about an old boiler that needs careful repairs, and the decision is about safety, I tend to like the idea of a new boiler up to todays snuff fresh, we will see what they want to do, but either way, don't expect operation anytime soon. You could easily see another 4 years yet.

The engine has operated in excursions in the past, so enjoy some vids of it while we all wait.

https://www.reddit.com/r/trains/comment ... n_project/

this is a year ago, have fun reading