It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fort Wayne
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:31 pm 

I just read the news about the Fort Wayne Riverfront project it's impressive and moving forward that's good but with the roundhouse project besides the 765 the Wabash switcher and two diesels the FWRHS has one aux tender and three coaches. I was wondering with the roundhouse does this mean the FWRHS is going to get another steamer NKP perhaps to capture the NKP experience? I'm trying not to start anything about about getting another steamer for them 765 is enough since it's the crown jewel of the FWRHS. I also wondered once this whole project is finished will it kick off or fall like a rock in the water only time will tell. One more thing 765 will be wearing the number 767 and it's mars light until the end of the year but keep the mars on which makes the first it wore the mars light since 1987 right? Anyway i hope any of you can fill in anything that left out or got wrong help me out here

Post subject: Re: Fort Wayne
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:03 am 

Based off what I've heard from up there, the FWRHS isn't sure as to whether or not they'll keep the Mars light on after the end of the year. I guess we'll have to wait and find out. If someone from the FWRHS knows whether or not they're going to keep the Mars light, please feel free to say so.

Personally, I hope they take it off at the end of the year. Like UP #844, I think #765 looks better without a Mars light.

- Diesels are boxcars with an engine, but steam is an iron horse.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:30 am 

Quote from FWRHS website:
"The 765 will remain renumbered as 767 until the end of 2016. Other cosmetic changes, such as the Mars Light, will remain."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:37 am 

Where's the can of Foam-Away?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:50 am 

Send this to the railfanning board.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:46 pm 

I heard that the 765, or 767, had an oopsy and is on the ground. Efforts are being made to rerail it. If only they had a couple of wreckers...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:39 pm 

southern154 wrote:
"The 765 will remain renumbered as 767 until the end of 2016. Other cosmetic changes, such as the Mars Light, will remain."

I saw that too. However, a friend of mine, who is up there, has talked with members of FWRHS, and he got the answer that they're unsure as to whether or not they're going to keep the Mars light after the end of the year.

Again, I'm personally hoping they do remove it. #765 looks better without it.

- Diesels are boxcars with an engine, but steam is an iron horse.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:45 pm 

SteamEnthusiast4000 wrote:
southern154 wrote:

I saw that too. However, a friend of mine, who is up there, has talked with members of FWRHS, and he got the answer that they're unsure as to whether or not they're going to keep the Mars light after the end of the year.

Again, I'm personally hoping they do remove it. #765 looks better without it.

One of these quotes the official press release.

One of these quotes people whose intimate knowledge of Mars Light plans may or may not be their largest priority.

We just punched holes in the smokebox door and put a dedicated turbo-generator on for the Mars Light. It's staying for the foreseeable future.

http://www.fwrhs.org

Last edited by nathansixchime on Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:46 pm 

steamfan765 wrote:
I just read the news about the Fort Wayne Riverfront project it's impressive and moving forward that's good but with the roundhouse project besides the 765 the Wabash switcher and two diesels the FWRHS has one aux tender and three coaches. I was wondering with the roundhouse does this mean the FWRHS is going to get another steamer NKP perhaps to capture the NKP experience? I'm trying not to start anything about about getting another steamer for them 765 is enough since it's the crown jewel of the FWRHS

Additional equipment acquisition is part of the plan. Steam, diesel, passenger, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:41 am 

Frankly, I think the Mars Light is the way a NKP Berk should look, but then, it's merely aesthetics. Now, I'd personally like to see her paired with Doyle's PA, but that's just me. This is NOT to start rumors. AFAIK, there are no such talks or plans.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:51 am 

When one says "Mars" light, my understanding is that you're talking about an oscillating headlight with a red lens, used as a marker light for the locomotive when left standing. What 765 had when first restored and operated in the early '80's was an oscillating headlight with a clear lens that functioned as an additional warning to anyone on or near the tracks, much like the Amtrak and Chessie System strobe lights did before the FRA mandated the current "ditch light" warning lights in 1995. I fondly remember watching 765 arrive back in Bellevue from a trip to Toledo after dark around 1982, watching it's oscillating headlight dance off the trees and buildings as it slowly made it's way into town.

I believe just about all NKP road locomotives were given oscillating headlights starting around the time of the W&LE takeover in 1949, and retained them up until retirement, so 765 would have operated with an oscillating headlight in regular service longer than it did without, having been new in 1944 and retired in 1958. I think it's totally appropriate to put one back on for awhile.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:47 pm 

Here's a good little history on Mars Lights and the Mars Signal Company:

http://www.american-rails.com/mars.html

We had anticipated putting it on before the Metra operations, but didn't have the time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:50 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
AFAIK, there are no such talks or plans.

There have been previously and will be again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:55 pm 

I was surprised to hear they put the mars on. But since they've renumbered it 767 its appropriate, its the as donated to Ft Wayne look. They decided to go to the single headlight for the as built 765 look. The new front plate did not have holes for the mars. The old plate was seared with coal acids etc and would not be useable. I wondered about if you were to remove it the holes might be sealed somehow?

Milwaukee 261 did not have a mars initially but the Mars sweep came on so it got one and many locos got them.

My recollection with the berks is with Mars, so I kinda went "why" without the mars but..ookaay, thats how they were first delivered. Some of the SP 4-8-4's were built without the front mars then later were built with the mars front.

Its about safety, but you always try to get the best looks (aethetics) into it. 765 has a dual life, 767 is the reason 765 survived, so lets go!