It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Too Important To Place In Railfanning
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:22 pm 

From Northeast Ohio Railfan (Facebook page):

https://www.facebook.com/1293oh/photos/ ... =3&theater

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5840DC0D

Caption for those who are not Facebook members and would not otherwise be able to see this:

Wonder why [you shouldn't]being [be in] in places the railroad doesn't want you to be? This could be the reason right here--a 20 ton flying razor blade. One swipe and you wouldn't even know what hit you and the number one reason you should never turn your back on a moving train nor be within 6 ft from center of the tracks right of way .

(photo courtesy of the steel mill modeler group)

Post subject: Re: Too Important To Place In Railfanning
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:05 pm 

almost any passenger station that would be murder. I think I have seen minor things dragging like loose wrapping straps. But steel coils should never be delivered like this.

They should be in a coil car. If you recall there was a truck/train accident on the South Shore when a trucker hauling coils was hit by a South Shore train and a coil went rolling down the center aisle of the passenger car.

The steel mill may have quit trucker deliveries for these coil cars, but I don't know that but I don't hear anymore accidents with coil truckers.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:24 am 

I don't know the truly most appropriate place to post it. Maybe anywhere and everywhere is appropriate.

Many years ago I was watching a piggyback train operating on the Indiana Harbor Belt at low speed. With no warning, a bridge plate came loose and flew off the cars, hitting the ground about 10 feet from the track. It would have easily killed anybody in its path. Think how much more force would have been involved if the train had been going fast!

I generally try to keep about 20 feet clear distance from the nearest rail when possible.

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:42 pm 

Bet the brush-cutting crews appreciated the job that car did on the local foliage. The Signal Dept. probably not so much.