It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wood passenger car needs home or else!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:59 pm 

So how much help would you say was RyPN was or was this already in the works?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:31 pm 

I found out through RYPN. Not sure about our other friends. Regardless, we got it done. I just hope more saves like this happen because of RYPN...

- Christian B.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:04 pm 

I first heard about the coach needing a home via RYPN some time back. Later notices indicated that things were getting tight on time via RyPN and FB (might have been Ahead of the Torch on FB).

Ed Rizzo I knew from Pemberton and always enjoyed working with Ed and knew that he was not that far away from the coach. Christian apparently found out via RyPN and I believe via his FB page brought in another crewman. Rob I believe heard about this effort via RyPN. So, I’d say about 75% of our effort had its origins via RyPN.

As to the new owner, I am not sure how he learned of the coach, but I believe our efforts, which bought time for the car, probably helped in that situation. As I see it, this car just needed people to step forward and offer to help out. This is what gave it new life and I’d say that this was based on RyPN postings and FB.

Chalk this one up to RyPN with some element coming in via Facebook.

I think we pulled together a good crew as well coming in from multiple states and covering all ages. And the secret to success? The secret was just coming out and asking for help. And son of a gun, people stepped forward.

J.R.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:55 pm 

In my professional life, I help brands navigate the digital landscape. One truism of that work is that no successful message lives in just one place. That's why on any brand website you see a half dozen "chiclets" or more to their social and content network presences.

It doesn't matter where an audience discovers the message, it matters what comes next.

All the comms resources we have at our disposal should work to elevate the message. Each network, each "channel" plays a role.

At the end of the day, nothing is won by page views or subscriber numbers; only preservation of an artifact or sharing of knowledge is a win. I know pieces saved (or projects improved) because of RYPN, museum websites, Ahead of the Torch, Facebook in general, Craig's List, email, phone calls, snail mail... you get the point.

We're too small a fraternity be divided over comms. Every channel, every site will have its ups and downs.

In the end, the topic of this thread gets put in the win column because of good people who care and the ability to connect the need with the solution through modern communications.

That's the value of the digital age, no matter what paths the electrons follow.

IMHO,

Rob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:03 pm 

I like to know where she go??
Minnesota??
The coach has a new owner who is??

David

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:54 am 

When the Quebec Railway Light & Power Coach #124 has been moved from the West Chester Railroad property, I will post who received the car. It was successfully moved over the weekend by rail to a new staging location.

Fred Heilich

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:02 pm 

JR May wrote:
I first heard about the coach needing a home via RYPN some time back. Later notices indicated that things were getting tight on time via RyPN and FB (might have been Ahead of the Torch on FB).

Ed Rizzo I knew from Pemberton and always enjoyed working with Ed and knew that he was not that far away from the coach. Christian apparently found out via RyPN and I believe via his FB page brought in another crewman. Rob I believe heard about this effort via RyPN. So, I’d say about 75% of our effort had its origins via RyPN.

As to the new owner, I am not sure how he learned of the coach, but I believe our efforts, which bought time for the car, probably helped in that situation. As I see it, this car just needed people to step forward and offer to help out. This is what gave it new life and I’d say that this was based on RyPN postings and FB.

Chalk this one up to RyPN with some element coming in via Facebook.

I think we pulled together a good crew as well coming in from multiple states and covering all ages. And the secret to success? The secret was just coming out and asking for help. And son of a gun, people stepped forward.

J.R.

Thanks JR. I enjoy working with you too. Probably has something to do with the enjoyment we get from "playing with trains". It was fun! And I do look forward to the next "project".

Later!
Mr. Ed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:04 pm 

We as Car 57 look forward to announcing the purchase of some very important and beautiful items in relation to this car as well.

Mike Pannell
Car 57 Project

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:44 am 

Has the #124 been moved to its new home in Minnesota yet? Or if not, are there any updates as to when this might occur? Thanks in advance!

Have a Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:54 am 

As far as I can tell, we are still waiting for it to be moved.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:03 pm 

The saving of the Quebec Railway Light & Power Coach #124 being saved was the result of reposting the availability of the coach during this past year on RYPN and Facebook. I had originally posted its availability on RYPN in 2012 as the result of several factors involving the original team that worked on this car on the West Chester RR. We acquired it from Steamtown in 2005 and worked on it and acquired restoration materials for it during the time until several of the team had tragically passed over time, another relocated, and I retired an relocated. In the 2012 timeframe we had a possible new home for it, but that party decided against it at the last moment. Several groups wanted it to pick the bones, but it was in too good of a condition to let it go that route. Due to SEPTA wanting the building back by Sept 2016, the WCRHA had to find a new home for it. I advertised it again of RYPN and on Facebook. Several interested parties came forward either to work on getting it ready to move until a new home was found or a group wanting it. It ended up being a team effort lead by JR May and his volunteers getting it read to move, the WCRR to move it, SEPTA to allow the move, and a group that wanted the car for their operations. It was a great group effort by many concerned people to get this done and hopefully the car will move out soon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:51 am 

Thanks, JR May and btrw, for the responses!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:29 pm 

So any plans to swap out the trucks for something else or would they be open to a truck swap?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:47 am 

The new owner may have a set of period trucks for it and would be open to parting with the Taylor traction trucks at that point. Until the car moves and he makes an announcement the West Chester Railroad Heritage Assoc can't comment. The Quebec Railway Light & Power installed these trucks in the early 1950s timeframe and this is a factor for its being in use until the end of their operations and use by Nelson Blount at his Steamtown.

Fred Heilich

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:31 am 

The coach was loaded up yesterday for its trip to Minnesota which brings to a close this topic and effort to find a home for this coach. Many thanks to the West Chester group for their huge role in making this possible. And thanks to RyPN for helping to make the plight more widely known.
J.R.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next