It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Fort Wayne Historical Society to get NKP Mike
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:22 pm 

Read online that the FWHS will get NKP 2-8-2 #624 and some equipment from Hammond, Indiana to be displayed at their new home at Headwaters Junction.

"The council also approved donating a 1922 locomotive engine currently sitting across from the Hammond Civic Center.

City officials said the engine, donated to the city by the Nickel Plate Railroad in March 1955, has deteriorated and become unsightly.

The locomotive is being donated to the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society Inc., which specializes in preserving and restoring railroad equipment. It is expected to eventually be displayed at Headwaters Junction in Fort Wayne and will be named City of Hammond.

Councilman Dave Woerpel, D-5th, said the historical society also will take the railroad cars attached to the locomotive. Woerpel, who noted that the city is making improvements to the Civic Center’s interior, said the space currently occupied by the locomotives will be used for additional parking there."

Post subject: Re: Fort Wayne Historical Society to get NKP Mike
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:52 pm 

I wonder FWRHS will have plans return her to service in the future? I don't think they will but I hope they do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:48 pm 

Okay; I'm confused. I understand the NKP #624 part which is GREAT news; but is there another locomotive too ? If so, is it an EJ&E 2-8-2 ???

Kevin K

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:58 pm 

The article, being quoted in the second paragraph, made it look like there was a second engine (one from each paragraph) but there is only one. Of course the Ft. Wayne group does have 765 as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:41 pm 

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... plate-mike

Article implies FWRHS will be evaluating #624 as a potential operational restoration, with a minimum of cosmetic restoration (it's not behind a paywall).

Congrats to FWHRS on securing her!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:49 pm 

kevin kohls wrote:
Okay; I'm confused. I understand the NKP #624 part which is GREAT news; but is there another locomotive too ? If so, is it an EJ&E 2-8-2 ???

Kevin K

EJ&E 2-8-2 number 765 (former DM&IR 1330) is displayed at Gateway Park in Gary. She is not involved in this deal, and should not be confused with NKP 765, also owned by the Fort Wayne group. Potentially, the Fort Wayne display will eventually include a Wabash 0-6-0, NKP 2-8-2 624, NKP 2-8-4 765, an NKP SD9, plus several lesser items. Does anybody have a list of the other items that will be movng from Hammond to Ft. Wayne with 624?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:15 pm 

It does not seem that there are any items moving with the engine. The SD9's number is 358. If you check on their facebook page they said "this engine has traveled more than a million and a half miles. We think it could stand to go a few more. Stay tuned." Sounds like a restoration is confirmed, but we must wait for more information to be officially released before we can get a definite answer for the long term future of 624, but it is safe to say this engine has a bright one.

*Correction there is a boxcar and a caboose behind the engine, but I have found no information on their disposition

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:36 pm 

Steamguy73 wrote:

*Correction there is a boxcar and a caboose behind the engine, but I have found no information on their disposition

Clarification; the "boxcar" is actually a steel bodied ice bunker refrigerator car (U.R.T.X. # 37076) and the caboose is one of those homebuilt South Shore cabooses with the tiny bay windows. Unfortunately I do not recall the number of the caboose.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:52 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Les Beckman wrote:
Clarification; the "boxcar" is actually a steel bodied ice bunker refrigerator car (U.R.T.X. # 37076) and the caboose is one of those homebuilt South Shore cabooses with the tiny bay windows. Unfortunately I do not recall the number of the caboose.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:17 pm 

I've got two questions/comments: Will the Fort Wayne group acquire the Watchman's crossing tower in addition to the locomotive and rolling stock well? I know that the tower is a local piece, (it was actually used in Hammond, IN) but I'm not sure if the city is keeping it or getting rid of it along with the rest of the collection. Secondly, I thought I might point out that the interior of the caboose (#1062) was burned by vandals some years ago.

http://www.rgusrail.com/album/innkp624/nkp_624_06.jpg
http://www.rgusrail.com/album/innkp624/nkp_624_14.jpg

Best,
-Andrew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:08 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:38 am 

I had to look more into it, could not find too much information about the displayed reefer. But I was never aware that there was a restoration attempt on this engine 10 years ago, as I was looking at this engine's history, back in about 07-08.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:48 am 

Long neglected, this would be a wonderful save. Despite the exterior appearance and deterioration, the Fort Wayne people may find a lot of good material in that Mike. The Hammond local government deserves respect for waking up and finding the will to preserve 624.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:20 am 

Article about restoration attempt on Hammond equipment in 2007:

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/hammond-steam-engine-to-roll-again/article_347daab5-45c8-5db7-b64e-1e69756c7893.html

https://www.oldeastie.com Old Eastie: East Broad Top Homepage
https://www.febt.org Friends of the East Broad Top
https://www.eastbroadtop.com East Broad Top Railroad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:04 pm 

After reading the article from the link {thank you} am curious if anything actually materialized as far as work getting done? Don't recall hearing much about this as far as moving forward and mean no disrespect to those who were trying.

To me the promising thing is the good folks at Ft Wayne know what they are looking at and are quite capable of looking past rust and peeled paint. Good news for this locomotive. Also agree the city of Hammond should be thanked for finding a good home rather than tie things up in some sort of legal situation where the engine and tax payers end up paying the cost with no progress happening at all.

Sure some local fans might not be so jubilant though? Usually someone isn't happy? When Mid Continent sold the Woodward Iron #41 (2-10-0} I was more than disappointed. After wringing out my crying towel I was equally happy the locomotive went to a good home where it will be taken care of properly. Despite my attachment to that locomotive, it going to a good home was the best thing I could of really hoped for. Am not in the loop on the NKP Mike, but it sure sounds like a good thing. Congrats to all involved. Regards, John.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next