It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: Surviving Pullman Heavyweight Sleeping Cars
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:15 am 

etalcos wrote:
Rainier Rails wrote:
Another Survivor:

418. Wallaceton (Lot #4691, Plan #2416D, 1923/41/47, 1DR-plr [26], PRR)--sold to NC&StL and rebuilt to coach #730 (68 seats??) (1941), rebuilt to 32 seat diner-8 seat lounge #1200 (1947??), to L&N #2730, transferred (when??) to MofW department as #42149, to SBD (or CSX??) #972149, sold (when??) to VLIX and located at TVRM

CSX sold the car to Tennessee Southern Railroad, and from there to VLIX. It is located at TCRM/Nashville and Eastern Railroad, not TVRM...

ETA

ETA, thanks for the correction on the current location and the additional info on the former Wallaceton!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:26 am 

NKP779 wrote:
FYI, heavyweight Pullman 8 section/Restaurant Lounge/ Obs. TRAVEL CLUB was scrapped onsite at Decatur, IN in April 2012. It had been in stationary service at the Back Forty Junction restaurant for over 30 years and deterioration was getting severe. It was very much original except for the furnishings in the solarium area. The car was previously stored at Fort Wayne's C.A.S.A.D. government depot (east of New Haven off the NKP) along with over 100 Pullman cars in the late 1950's, part of a Defense Department war reserve fleet. When the fleet was disposed of in the early 1960's, Jack Farris of Fort Wayne formed Private Railroad Cars, Inc. and acquired the TRAVEL CLUB along with the CLOVER COLONY, CAPITOL HEIGHTS. He operated these on some charters on some regular B&O passenger trains, maybe others. CAPITOL HEIGHTS - where are you? The late Glenn Brendel of FWRHS (NKP 765) thought it had gone to Florida but never had any further confirmation of that.

NKP779, thanks for the additional info on the scrapped Travel Club (line item #315), and the possible current whereabouts lead for the Capitol Heights (line item #316)!

Can anyone confirm that the Capitol Heights was indeed moved to Florida, or provide its current status? Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:12 pm 

Found a reference to Capitol Heights on the trains web site:
"Saturday, January 09, 2010 1:19 PM
Speaking of abandoned coaches in Atlanta, can anyone verify the origin of the coach at Stone Mtn Park reported to be "Capitol Heights" from the B & O build c. 1926. Understand this car is scheduled to be scrapped. What a shame. Surely a museum somewhere would like to own."
No response to the post, did some additional web surfing to no avail?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:12 pm 

RDGRAILFAN wrote:
Found a reference to Capitol Heights on the trains web site:
"Saturday, January 09, 2010 1:19 PM
Speaking of abandoned coaches in Atlanta, can anyone verify the origin of the coach at Stone Mtn Park reported to be "Capitol Heights" from the B & O build c. 1926. Understand this car is scheduled to be scrapped. What a shame. Surely a museum somewhere would like to own."
No response to the post, did some additional web surfing to no avail?

RDGRAILFAN, thanks for the info on the Capitol Heights! So unless someone knows otherwise, it appears that this car is now gone.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:59 pm 

On Tuesday, January 14th, 2014, 1st Post on Page #10, Rainier Rails wrote:
More Mystery Cars:

239. B&O MofW #X4055 (12S-1DR) at the B&O RR Museum--anyone have the full history??

The museum's website now has a page with the car's full history: http://www.borail.org/4293.aspx

239. Thendara (Lot #6023, Plan #3410A, 1926/56, 12S-1DR)--sold to B&O #7460 (1948) rebuilt to Class A-35D 62 seat coach #4723 (1956) to MofW office & tool car #X-4055 (1965) to #911559 (1983) donated to B&O RR Museum (1997)

Sources:

1. "The Complete Roster of Heavyweight Pullman Cars" by Robert J. Wayner (Wayner Publications, 1985)

2. "Passenger Car Catalog: Pullman Operated Equipment, 1912-1949" by William W. Kratville (Kratville Publications, 1968)

3. Tom Madden's Pullman Project CCR database: http://pullmanproject.com/Database.htm

4. Jerry LaBoda's photo links database: http://passcarphotos.info/

Additions and corrections are welcome. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:48 am 

Another Survivor:

As posted in the Ironhorse Railroad Park in Chisago City, MN recent news thread, said organization has acquired a as-of-yet-unidentified 12S-1DR sleeper with a BN MofW # from the Don Lind (Minnesota & Western) collection at Annandale, MN:

419. BN #968456

In the initial post by Herb Sakalaucks in the Minnesota & Western: IMPORTANT NEWS thread, this car is listed as a "GN coach/diner? work train car".

I'm going to ask around to see if anyone knows the former GN MofW # for this car, which would allow for the identification of this car's former Pullman name. Stay tuned.

Have a Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:26 pm 

A friend of mine (Bob Moen) provided me with the following info a while back concerning the car (Pullman) I purchased from the Annandale collection:

I did some research in my library last night on the GN "diner lounge". It is as I suspected yesterday. It was a Pullman sleeper of a 12 section 1 drawing room floorplan. This was the 10-6 sleeper of its day. Pullman owned 4,000 of these in its 10,000 car fleet. The most common floorplan. It took some digging last night but at the end of the evening I found the car in a Pullman roster I have. It was built in April/May 1911 as part of a group of 50 cars built for the New York Central. Its name was the "EVENDALE". It operated on the NYC between New York-Buffalo-Cleveland-Chicago on the route of the present Amtrak Lake Shore Limited. It operated out of La Salle St. Station in Chicago and Grand Central Station in New York. It was owned by Pullman in NYC service. It was downgraded to Tourist Sleeper 1744 status in February, 1941 with no change in floorplan. It was withdrawn from service and sold to Great Northern for conversion into a work train kitchen crew diner 3103 in November, 1953. The sleeper interior was completely gutted and tubed by GN. The last COT&S was 1979 and the car was retired in 1983. The amazing thing is the car is 103 years old and in such good condition.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:06 pm 

Thanks, Ironhorse Railroad, for the info!

419. Evendale (Lot #3893, Plan #2410, 1911/41, 12S-1DR, NYC)--Tourist #1744--retained (1948)--sold to GN and rebuilt to MofW kitchen-diner #O-3103 (1953) to BN #968456 (c. 1970) retired and sold to Don Lind-Minnesota & Western, Annandale, MN (c. 1983*) to Ironhorse Railroad Park, Chisago City, MN (c. 2014**)

*BN retired the car in 1983, but did Don Lind acquire the car at that time, or slightly later? Thanks in advance!

**Was the former Evendale purchased from the Lind Collection in 2014, or later? Thanks in advance!

Have a Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:22 pm 

It was purchased in 2014 moved in 2016

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:29 pm 

I believe Don purchased it soon after it was retired.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:32 pm 

Thanks, Ironhorse Railroad, for the year info!

Have a Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:03 am 

Another Survivor:

420. As I just posted in the Excursion train in Spokane area is needed thread, the now shut down North Pend Oreille Valley Lions Club's Pend Oreille Valley RR excursion operaiton has a yet-to-be identified 12S-1DR sleeper, as POVA #208. Here's a link to a picture of said car, taken in July of last year by Matt Farnsworth: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4518524

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:45 am 

Another Survivor (as of 2006):

On Tuesday, August 26th, 2014, 15th Post on Page #21, Rainier Rails wrote:

Second, another private collection:

Thread from March 2003: http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5336

As posted by Boyd Owens on page #2:

Boyd Owens wrote:
Prairie Du Chein, WI - MILW cabooses (1 wood, many steel), CB&Q coaches, CB&Q observation car, and various ex-BN MOW cars at various locations around town, all uncared for and rusting/rotting away. (All owned by same person.)
Boyd Owens wrote:
Just thought I'd ad a little more info on Prairie Du Chein for those who've never heard of the situation there. The owner of the railroad cars mentioned is a "collector" of many things. His "collection" includes the railroad equipment, a railroad hotel, a railroad depot, a turntable, many church steeples, a log cabin, and a Mississippi river towboat, to name just some of what he has.
Boyd Owens wrote:
It's all still there (as of last Dec, anyway). Unfortunately I haven't yet located my photos of it to scan yet. Don't know any car numbers either unfortunately. The owner is Mr. Blair Dillman.
Does anybody know if any of the cars in Prairie Du Chien are former Pullmans? Thanks in advance!
I found a photo on Flickr from April 2006 showing what I believe is the CB&Q observation car that Boyd listed in the above quoted posts from March 2003. Looking at the photo, this definitely appears to be a former Pullman, so that warrants a line item number for this car:

421. Unknown to CB&Q to MofW (car is painted mineral red) to BN? sold (when??) to Blair Dillman (Prairie Du Chien, WI).

The question being, is this car still around, 10 years after this photo was taken?

Here's a link to the photo I found: https://www.flickr.com/photos/oldonliner/136188886/in/photostream/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:26 am 

Hate to poo-poo on the parade but this is a Plan 3950 3 Compartment - 2 Drawing Room - lounge observation... of which none went to Burlington. The only other Pullman car type that had a similar window pattern as shown in the photo was the Plan 3959 3 Compartment - 2 Drawing Room - lounge observation car, the only real difference were two small windows adjacent to the vestibule on the Plan 3950 cars (as can be seen in the photo) while there was only one on the Plan 3959 cars. Add to it the fact that Burlington Northern painted their heavyweight passenger cars with a silver roof I believe it is fair to say that we are looking at a very old coat of primer and not the mineral read employed by BN.

Milwaukee Road use to serve Prairie du Chien, where the car is, and they bought five of these cars at the Pullman divestiture. While some further research will be needed I think I can confidently say that this is one of the five cars MILW bought in the Silver-series.

Will check with the Milwaukee Road group at Yahoo! Groups to see if I can come up with more information.

Passenger Car Photo Index Updated 8/9/17 with 8,402 new links

Interurban Car Photo Index
PCC Car Photo Index

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:41 am 

I recall this car. I first saw it around 1979 and 80 sitting on a siding at a lumber yard on the Richland Center spur of the old Milwaukee Road. I think at the time it was a shortline running blue high-hood FM switchers for road power. It was a Milwaukee MOW car, and I remember it seemed to have orange paint underneath several other paint styles. It was probably restorable then, and had the platform railings. The Richland Center branch had extremely light rail and might have even been original from being regauged from narrow gauge.

I later saw the car at Praire du Chein around 1991 and assumed it was the same car. I thought the line to PdC was embargoed from Lone Rock westward. Running down that track in this car must have been an interesting experience.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 53  Next