It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NH&I (CNR) 1533 ?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:48 pm 

Does anyone care about this beautiful little ten-wheeler? She was once the backbone of the tourist operations, and a more beautiful branch line loco you'd never see. It seems like for thirty years, she's sat in pieces in the storage area, receiving paint and nothing more.
What's the story? How is she so damaged that restoration seems permanently shelved?

Post subject: Re: NH&I (CNR) 1533 ?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:27 pm 

I'd say let's allow the New Hope guys to get #40 up and running consistently (i.e. without various mechanical issues) before tackling another steam restoration project. Would the 1533 be next up from the shops for steam? Or would it be the NdeM 4-8-4 that they started work on a few years ago?

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:56 pm 

Are they carrying enough traffic to justify a 4-8-4?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:10 pm 

Dave wrote:

Eh... Maybe, assuming they run a big engine policy similar to Strasburg. From my understanding 3028 isn't what one could consider a big 4-8-4... But even they'd have to make a deal with her owners.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:40 pm 

Dave wrote:

For.January through September of this year, they have reported just over 17,000 riders to the FRA.

The bulk of their ridership comes in December.....last year, that was over 25,000 people in December, the year prior, 31,000 in December.

Their annual average over the last few years has been in the 55,000 range, which for a railroad running 12 months of the year, 9 months of which is 7 day per week operation, it isn't that great.

For their location, and what they run, they should be in the 100,000 - 125,000 range, but there are many factors playing against that, factors which can't be discussed on this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:38 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
Does anyone care about this beautiful little ten-wheeler? She was once the backbone of the tourist operations, and a more beautiful branch line loco you'd never see. It seems like for thirty years, she's sat in pieces in the storage area, receiving paint and nothing more.
What's the story? How is she so damaged that restoration seems permanently shelved?

I share a love for the CNR H-6. There are three of them in the US, and much like equally neat CPR D-10's in the US, the are in a range of conditions that do not include "operable."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:38 am 

While it may not appear to be that way, and nothing is set in stone, I can assure you that 1533 hasn't been forgotten about within the NH&I; she just hasn't been a very high priority in terms of what needs to be done, and right now the NH&I is focusing on getting 40 back up and running, and also spent the past year and a half refurbishing their passenger car fleet for this Christmas season.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:43 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
She was once the backbone of the tourist operations, and a more beautiful branch line loco you'd never see. It seems like for thirty years, she's sat in pieces in the storage area, receiving paint and nothing more.
She was taken apart for a Bicentennial restoration, so it's more like 40 years in pieces.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:33 pm 

Howdy Folks; From my understanding, a large number of critical parts to the 1533, were lost, some by theft, some by misplacement, and some by accidental scraping during a management change ( I believe the ex PRR Atlantic City turntable stored at Ivyland was also a victim of scraping at the same time). The 1533 needed a great deal of boiler work in 1975, along with running gear & pony truck overhaul from years of hard running, a few bad derailments, and general differed maintenance, during the NH&I bankruptcy and the McHugh years of management. Like any locomotive, she is restore-able, but the 1533 will need serious resources and some major TLC to get her under steam again. There were worst off steam locomotives at the Barry Scrapyard in Wales, that are now running on preserved railways and even the main lines around the UK. Perhaps there will be a "Friends of the 1533" group or some third party who will work with the folks at New Hope to start the ball rolling? She is a good locomotive, I learned to fire a steam engine on her deck plate during the summer of 1974, and deserves a better fate. Over to you, Ross Rowland ( I believe you got the 1533's CNR chime whistle )....... Have fun guys, David Notarius, deep in the heart of the Fenns - Cambridgeshire UK (ex New Hope PA resident - missing the sweet taste of Tasty Cakes.....)

Attachments:
File comment: 1533 at Buckingham PA 1973
nhir1533g.jpg
nhir1533g.jpg [ 40.49 KiB | Viewed 6693 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:38 pm 

I don't now nor have I ever owned a steam whistle.

My involvement at New Hope is limited to being an engineer at Santa Train season so some of the regular guys can get some Christmas shopping time off.

I can report that # 40 is undergoing a very thorough overhaul under the direction of Brendan Ziegler ( CMO-Steam) and when she's done sometime this coming summer she should give many years of reliable service.

As to the 1533 it's my best guess that you'd be looking at a minimum investment of $ 1 mm dollars to get her back in service and with a completely upgraded # 40 there's no need for her.

Just my 2 cents worth...nothing more.

Merry Christmas to all. Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:22 pm 

Sorry Ross, I was mis-informed.