It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: York Southern 1 question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:34 am 

Hi all,

I'm continuing my slow but steady process of writing a monograph on the Dick Jensen saga, and I'm a little puzzled on something--the 4-6-0(s) he owned. I know he owned GAN 102, but did he at all own York Southern number 1? Also, I'm looking for pictures of Dick working on his engines that I can use. If anyone has some that they would be willing to share for my writing, please email me at daylight4460@gmail.com, and I'll be sure to give you credit.

Thomas

Last edited by Trainkid456 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: York Southern 1 question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:06 pm 

Dear Thomas:
Yes indeed!
He purchased it from a scrap yard in York, PA which had acquired it after the death of it's owner who had planned a tourist operation there.
It was moved on it's own wheels from York to the siding that Dick leased from the Chicago, West Pullman & Southern near 101st St.(?).
It sat there (along with other Jensen owned equipment) until being auctioned off at a Sheriff's sale.
William Latham was the buyer, Gary Bensman moved it on a flat car to Latham's yard in Rockford, IL where it sat until acquired by what is now the Monticello Railroad Museum in Monticello, IL.
J.David

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:21 am 

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:31 pm 

Bryon Andrews, proprietor of the York Southern who owned No. 1 died in c.2001. He was an Alexandria, Virginia resident and a transportation industry consultant and legislator. After he left the Ma & Pa most of his passenger equipment (two Soo Line coaches and a Tennessee Central caboose) went to the Delaware Otsego in Oneonta, NY. I think he ran into financial issues in the 1960s as he was reportedly sued in NY while at the DO. I have also heard that Andrews was sold a bag of goods when he bought No. 1, having been promised by the Hampton & Branchville that certain mechanical work was done on the engine when nothing was done at all. The auction of No. 1 was likely the result of unpaid trackage rent by Andrews and the taking of the engine by a third party to resolve debt.

K.R. Bell