It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Expressions of Interest - Soo Line 1227 "Valhalla"
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:50 pm 

The Minnesota Transportation Museum seeks expressions of interest for the transfer of ownership of the Museum’s Soo Line sleeper 1227 named “Valhalla”. The item is being deaccessioned in accordance with MTM’s Collection Policy. Due to the car's conditions, the Museum will consider parties interested in salvaging the entire car or parting the car out for use in other restorations, however the car must be completely removed from MTM's property.

The "Valhalla" is one of eight Soo Line 12-1 sleepers built in February 1907 by the Barney & Smith Company of Dayton, Ohio. The car weighs approximately 120,000 pounds.

After retirement, the car was used as a house. The owner had attached a peaked roof to it. Other modifications by the owner include the installation of relatively more modern commodes and sinks, plus a shower in the heater cabinet. Plywood partitions were installed to create "rooms" where the berths use to be. A kitchen was attached, with an access door cut into the car's sidewall at a point where the window seats should be in the men's smoking room. Most of the upper bunks have been removed, as has all but one set of seat frames. Three wall-mounted electric light fixtures are still in the car, as are most of the berth lamps and a few mirrors mounted to the window posts. The ceiling lamps are gone.

The car lacks any underbody equipment and does not have trucks. In a previous attempt to remove the car from MTM’s property, the peaked roof was removed, exposing the original roof. The original roof is in poor shape.

All 501c3 not-for-profit organizations in good standing with the IRS may submit expressions of interest. At this time, private parties and for-profit organizations will not be considered.

Interested parties may email ryan@trainride.org on or before January 31, 2017, following which, a Request for Proposal with detailed instructions, conditions, and information will be issued.

Photographs of the car’s current condition may be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/51670624@ ... 8555391886

Post subject: Re: Expressions of Interest - Soo Line 1227 "Valhalla"
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:09 am 

The Colfax railroad Museum had attempted to move Valhalla a number of years ago, but ran into problems getting it off MTM property. A tree had been planted by the city at the corner of the alleyway exiting the rear of the museum. Due to the tightness of the corner and an immediate steep rise, only a house mover could get it out by truck. Transport by rail might be possible, but we lacked the resources to do that. We still have some parts from a sister car, including trucks. If anyone has interest, please contact us off line. Good luck on this. It is a nice car and inside cleanout of debris was started. We had started to reinstall new roofing but stopped when the move failed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:55 pm 

I wasn't going to say anything but this is unbelievable. As a master carpenter it pains me to see such an incredibly appointed car left outside exposed to the elements and only partially tarped. How hard would it be to properly secure it if someone cared to?
But let's go through all the B.S. "nonprofit only", wait, and "then must fill out a detailed RFP" as opposed to selling it or giving it to ANYONE who would be willing to save it. It would be simple enough to vett someone else, especially compared to the exemplary preservation state this car has endured.
Let's preferably give it to a non-profit who will PART IT OUT!
No, lets just let it rot as apparently it's been for a while.
It should have been left as a house at least it wouldn't wind up as firewood or in a dumpster.
I am sorry if this will ruffle some feathers, but I thought we were supposed to preserve
railroad history.

To quote Pogo "We have met the enemy and he is us!"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:14 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
The first priority, in a case like this, HAS to be non-profits, and "qualified" ones to boot. It hardly matters if we're talking about a small booklet or an entire train.

We've all seen it: For every nonprofit museum that takes on such a project and succeeds, there's another party--nonprofit or private--that eagerly takes on such a project, only to kick the can down the road further with no results, or wither and expire along with the proponents.

I'm certain that IF a successful private owner with a track record of success were to step up and make an offer, and wait it out to see if no museums make offers, he'd be given appropriate consideration and probably the chance to take the car. On the other hand, not only are those folks somewhat few and far between, but there are scads of other folks that will just step in with "I'll take it; I'll put it in my parents' backyard and start a GoFundMe page to raise the money to fix it for my railroad which I'll build once I finish it...." (Next acquisition: a steam locomotive from a flooded quarry..........) The MTM must, as a responsible custodian, owes it to everyone not to pass an albatross on to someone else, but use its own discretion to best judge where it should go--if, indeed, anywhere but the breaker's track.

Hey, miracles happen now and then.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:03 am 

Just look at the photo, couldn't even bother to tarp it.
At this point why be so concerned, ANYONE who would be willing to invest the considerable amount of time and money just to transport this should be given the opportunity. As far as vetting them, if they have indoor storage it should be a sure thing. It does not matter if the car is restored or not, at least the deterioration would be halted.

If I was local I would be happy to buy a tarp and head over there with ladders and a few guys to help them out as it doesn't seem like anyone cares.

As a private owner of two trolley cars, and the entire nose of a third. At least one of the cars was offered to museums who managed to foot drag until the owner was going to scrap it. I stepped in and took care of it. The only issue was moving and transportation cost. The owner was NOT happy that he was requested to donate it AND deliver it for free, that took it to being on the very cusp of going to the scrapyard.

I don't know what the outcome will be for my cars, they may be a retirement project, or who knows, my kids (and adults) like to play in them but at least they are PRESERVED high and dry inside.