It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shanklin Rapid Transfer Machine
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:24 am 

Seeing the post about online copies of the Electric Railway Journal has prompted me to see whether anyone can help with a query concerning the above equipment.

Back in 1923, Ipswich Corporation Tramways (UK), introduced an experimental trolleybus service using one man operated vehicles.
For some reason, US made ticket machines were used on these vehicles, produced by the Shanklin Rapid Transfer Co of Springfield, MA. The whole episode was not well documented, but it appears that they suffered from several problems and therefore had a very limited life span.
However, as well as having one of the original 1923 trolleybuses in our local museum, one of the original casings from the machines have survived an it would be nice to construct a replica of the equipment to fix on the bus.
I did some digging in the ERJ a few years back and found something that resembles our "casing", but was wondering whether anyone has any further details about this company and whether a complete machine has survived somewhere.
I have mentioned them in the past on visits to the Shoreline Trolley Museum & Seashore, but nobody I spoke to had ever heard of them.
Springfield Museum was contacted as well, but they couldn't be bothered to reply.......

The casing looks like this.........

Attachment:
DSC01531.JPG
DSC01531.JPG [ 218.62 KiB | Viewed 3302 times ]

Attachment:
DSC01530.JPG
DSC01530.JPG [ 219.98 KiB | Viewed 3302 times ]

This is the ERJ advert I found.....

Attachment:
electricrailwayj622mcgrrich_0641.jpg
electricrailwayj622mcgrrich_0641.jpg [ 93.79 KiB | Viewed 3302 times ]

and just in case anyone is interested, the trolleybus in question looks like this!
(though it has since been repained into the "correct" livery since the picture was taken, as the colours were totally the wrong shades.....)

Attachment:
DSC01532.JPG
DSC01532.JPG [ 222.63 KiB | Viewed 3302 times ]