It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Office Car on Borrowed Time
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:08 pm 

Hi, nice to meet everyone here!

This is Tennessee Central Railway office car 102 as of today. It was built in 1916 as a Pullman office car for their pool service; transporting guests in their pool service, and later on the TC from 1942 to 1968. A restoration was started in 2013, but revealed soon revealed more necessary work beyond our scope. We are meeting soon to discuss the car's future. Can anyone here please help?

As far as technical bits go, it has incremental asbestos that need to be abated, a hole roughly two feet across in its roof, (one half already abated), and its original trucks. The exterior is the roughest part of the car, but the interior is complete and just needs some cleaning. Its very much complete, just needs some help getting it into a better position.

Feel free to PM me if anyone has leads to either help us get the 102 back into shape, or find it a new home.

Thank you,
Brian McD

Last edited by DixieFlagler on Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Office Car on Borrowed Time
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:33 pm 

Leads? Leads to what? You have many needs mentioned, but it doesn't sound like a plan or priorities - do you need qualified assistance or materials?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:02 pm 

Dave wrote:
Leads? Leads to what? You have many needs mentioned, but it doesn't sound like a plan or priorities - do you need qualified assistance or materials?

Just leads to either help with resuming its restoration or find a new home for it. The original post has been updated accordingly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:33 pm 

OK, now we're getting somewhere. What organization do you represent, and where is the car located?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:00 pm 

Dave wrote:
OK, now we're getting somewhere. What organization do you represent, and where is the car located?

The Tennessee Central Railway Museum; Nashville, TN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:20 pm 

You should start first by looking for companies that can remove the asbestos since that's a safety hazard. Next, look for someone who can get the exterior in shape just enough for the museum to take over.

Thomas Dyrek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:32 pm 

I wouldn't give up on this car so easily, it is significant just by virtue of being a Tennessee Central car, and could be something special when complete. If it is under a roof as the photos show you are in good shape to contain any further deterioration. Now that it is being talked about on a national preservation board (I didn't even know it existed until I read your first post) you may have better luck getting volunteers and also donations from those too far away to donate time but who would donate money. I think the key for potential financial contributors is having a plan in place that those interested can see (i.e., we intend to do this, and then this, and then this, etc, we have volunteers to do it if we can get money for paint and supplies, furnishings etc.). Do you have a facebook page for the group, where we can see updates on progress, or a website? Just some ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:05 pm 

http://tcry.org/palm_bch.htm

This is the restoration campaign we tried when we first acquired the 102 in 1993. The page is incredibly outdated because it didn't get far even then, and the progress was made in fits and starts over the years with the campaign's progress.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:34 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
If the interior is in good (or at least intact) condition, I would recommend posting a few photos to that effect (after, of course, a little cleaning to make it more attractive!).

Often, what scares people away from projects like this is the presumption that a rough exterior holds an equally rough interior. IF this car has a great interior, someone might want to grab the car now whole some side panels are off, in order to run new wiring or other upgrades or modifications before doing the exterior.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:42 pm 

OK, Nashville..... it's important to prioritize jobs such that nothing is done that will have to be torn up again to complete other work later on. Asbestos can be encapsulated rather than removed in some cases, although removal would be the preferred method if it doesn't require tearing up the car. There are local contractors in the asbestos removal business everywhere these days, so you might start with soliciting bids from several for comparison, assuming you know all the places it's hiding. The sheet metal stuff - roof hole and rust through - can be dealt with by people who do body work on trucks. You might find a community college that has a body shop program to provide students to help with that work. There's a wealth of good railroading going on in Chattanooga and it would be worth your while to get to know the Tennessee Valley people who are excellent craftsmen and can help you work through the process as consultants, if they want to. I'd also encourage your organization to join whatever ATRRM has decided it is now, can't remember the new name. the $100 opens up a lot of networking that can guide you through the big picture and small technicalities. Good luck with the project - it's a smaller project than many under way.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:43 pm 

I do not think that the description "the interior just needs cleaning" is accurate. This poor car has sat from time to time with major roof leaks. They have put cheap tarps on the car and they fall apart in the sun very quickly. Many people have tried to discuss what this car needs with the museum management and nothing ever came of it.
True enough...when they got this car it was tight and usable. Before TC got the car it was a Pullman lease car...very little was done to the interior when it was sold to them. Maybe paint and new upholstery...otherwise a real treasure. It has the original furniture in it...and carpet. But many of us have watched from a distance...and been disheartened. A friend of mine told him they offered him the car for $10,000 (LOL).
Asbestos abatement on this car would further ruin it. I imagine an asbestos abatement contractor would rip the car apart just to get to every scrap of asbestos (and there is much)...bye-bye to the interior. I don't know where to start at this point. It looks like a $500,000 project to me. This is a good lesson about the failures of museums.
T7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:38 am 

I see no reason to abate asbestos that ends up being sealed between the interior walls and the exterior paneling. It is "encapsulated" which renders it inert.
As others have said, the usual asbestos remediation contractor will destroy many things in his effort to remove the offending material in the quickest and cheapest way possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:19 pm 

Thanks everyone for the encouragement so far. These are some views of the interior, shot to the best of my ability with the confined spaces we are familiar with. All of the related furniture is in secure storage.

The Parlor

Stateroom E- All Five are in this condition

The Dining Room

The Bathroom

The Porter Quarters

Overall, it's not exactly in the best of shape, but it could be a lot worse. If anyone is interested in seeing more or anything specific I may have missed, just send me a PM and I'll get it at my earliest convenience.

Thanks everyone for their input thus far. Hopefully this clears up some misconceptions!

-Brian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:36 pm 

This car was one of a three charter car order by the Pullman Company. Interestingly, all three survive, more or less. The Tennessee Central car is Palm Beach. Newport is part of the Orient Express restaurant in Seattle, formerly Andy's Diner. Manhattan was sold to the Atlantic Coast line and through mergers became owned by CSXT. It was sold at auction in 1988 to Gulf & Ohio Railways and is now the Tennessee. It is at Knoxville locomotive works where it serves as a dining room and meeting place.

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:51 pm 

Some good progress has been made already, it would be a shame to see it left unfinished.