It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Looking for information on Maine Central class X locomot
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:37 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Steel City wrote:
Her wheel base is 77’ overall length should put her at 100’ that’s from pilot (cow catcher) to back coupler. When looking through water at an object that's long, the water magnifies the image to appear larger than it is when sitting on dry land.

I refer you to the photos at the second post of this thread.

The overhang at each end from the end wheels--not counting the coupler--is approximately three feet. This would make a total frame length of perhaps 85 feet.

The image posted, by your own words, "He obtain this photo though is fish finder." (another name for "depth finder," i.e. sonar).

"Optical magnification" in rivers or streams, which I believe you are confusing with refraction, does not double or triple the size of objects in the water......... and also has no impact on sonar imaging. (My own personal background experience with sonar imaging has to do with decades of amateur study of the Loch Ness Monster phenomenon--a textbook case, almost literally THE textbook case, of people seeing what they "want to see" in sonar and photographic imagery.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:42 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Steel City wrote:
I guess the same reason they dump subway cars in the ocean.

Deliberately to create artificial reefs for fish and other aquatic life in an ocean........

I somehow doubt that Connecticut River resources management were that progressive thinking in the Great Depression.......

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:49 am 

Hay Steel City,

Ignore the naysayers. Go out there with your sons and dive buddies and have a great day. That is the real point, finding the treasure/locomotive is just a bonus.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:03 pm 

Steel City wrote:
Any one with half a brain knows that the Loch Ness Monster is a hoax.

But it's a classic case (one of many) of people taking unexplained phenomena and interpreting the available data through the biases and prejudices of their own minds, often skewed in that direction by legends, folk tales, or even just the overwhelming desire for it to be true.

I have thirty books on the Loch Ness phenomenon and similar "lake monster" legends on my shelf, ranging from the sensationalistic to the "cash in on the hot news" to the scholarly to the analysis of cultural folklore. Only one dares to conclude there is no "monster."

Many otherwise bright and intelligent people have been taken in by, or expended great effort and energy (and in some cases resources) on, such pseudoscience simply because it was cloaked in the language of academia, technical jargon, or the like. And, historically, this propensity has also extended itself to politics and other articles of faith as well.

There is an analogy here.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:55 pm 

Steel City,

I am curious about one point here. As I understand it, there is a sonar image that is thought to resemble a submerged locomotive. If it is a submerged locomotive, it is thought to be a Maine Central class x, 2-6-6-2.

What is the reason for suspecting that the submerged locomotive is a MC class x, 2-6-6-2?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:20 pm 

Steel City wrote:

This is NOT an official page, there is NO project on this engine. Plain and simple.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:24 pm 

The yellow line along what is presumed to be the loco's bottom comes out to 320 feet.

The approximate "height" of said anomaly is 45-50 feet.

The scale line at lower right is not much shorter than the actual length of a MEC 2-6-6-2.

Have fun.

Attachments:
Wilder Lake 2005 alleged loco.jpg
Wilder Lake 2005 alleged loco.jpg [ 313.22 KiB | Viewed 5494 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:32 pm 

Many of us who have been through this rigamarole for ages can tell you all about our experiences of people telling us about these supposed "big steam locomotives" abandoned in the woods or river, only to go out and discover the remains of a small traction engine boiler, water tank, or "lizard pump" left behind by loggers. (In my case, it was hunters on Jack's Mountain in northwestern Snyder County, Pa. uncovering a traction engine boiler and sending me out after a "steam locomotive" in the days before everyone always carried around a cell phone with camera.)

I repeat: Good luck.