It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Status of LK & P on Maui?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:45 am 

Was wondering about the planned re-opening of the LK&P on Maui. Internet searches seem to imply a 2017 re-opening of the line, but there are no solid dates or schedules.

Anybody have any firm info?

JR

Post subject: Re: Status of LK & P on Maui?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:25 pm 

From Wikiperia:
On July 24, 2014, the company announced that it would be closing on August 1, 2014 due to a financial decision by the owners. The company was planning to remove the tracks and sell them off to another location. The locomotives were cleaned out and left in the shed.
Within months of closing, the Sugar Cane Train was bought by a local Maui resident and is in now the process of being revived. Craig Hill owner of Maui Concierge Services felt that the Sugar Cane Train needed to be kept running in order to preserve one of Lahaina's best known attractions and to keep the idea of the Sugar Cane Train alive. The Sugar Cane Train website now states that the train is hoping to be reopening in 2017.[3] Donations are now being accepted in hopes that there will be enough funding to be able to run the railroad once again.
The company plans to rebuild all 3 locomotives from the ground up, as well as add possible grade crossings to prevent any accidents. Plans for the Sugar Cane Train also includes hosting weddings as well as having an evening train. All old tracks are being removed and are in the process of being replaced by newer ties and rails.

We rode it in November 2011

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:29 pm 

Amazing what a simple search of the internet can do...

https://m.facebook.com/sugarcanetrain/? ... %2Fblog%2F

Shows they ran successfully for the Christmas season, expanding from a few scheduled days to daily departures to meet the demand.

Shows that they even ran steam for a couple nights.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:00 pm 

Talisker and junior - Thank you both for your responses.

As a matter of information, prior to my initial post, I did indeed do a "simple internet search", and found both the Wikipedia article, and the Sugar Cane Train website. The information supplied on those sites was summarized in my post, that a 2017 opening is planned. No schedules are provided.

I do not have a Facebook account. The Facebook page cited by junior describes Holiday operations in 2016.

However, none of the three cited sources answer the question that I posed. So, I will politely clarify my original question: Does anyone know when LK & P will re-open to resume regularly scheduled operations?

Thanks in advance,

JR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:40 pm 

You do not need to have a Facebook account to access public Facebook pages, which any operation worth their salt would keep their Facebook page public. 95% of the information contained in a public page is available to those without an account....I don't have an account and was able to read through the page with ease, look at most pictures etc.....Yes the "join Facebook now" banner pops up, but you just simply click on the X and continue reading.

Is this peak season in the islands?....Florida, this is peak season due to snow birds, but not sure how Hawaii works with peak travel times.

The 2016 holiday operations just ended a mere 36 days ago and considering they originally scheduled 3 day a week operation then went 7 days a week due to demand speaks volumes. Going through the FB page, I read that back in August, they were still securing land leases and what not to being operations. I think they have come a long way in just a few short months.