It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dome Passenger Cars
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:27 am 

Anyone know of any dome car (full or mid) projects currently going on, completed or ones looking for new homes? Just doing some research and was genuinely curious to what is out there. Looking for any cars that are for sale really.

Thanks in advance

SUNY Polytechnic Institute Alumni

Last edited by Ddatrainman on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Dome Passenger Cars
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:54 pm 

There is the dome car Silver Pony under restoration at the Illinois Railway Museum. They got it a while back have removed the modern plastic letters. now they are working on the windows.

I forget if it is from the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy or the Denver, Rio Grande Western. If you go to the museum blog pages and look for passenger car entries;
you should find some pictures. You will need to scroll back a ways.

The Western Pacific Railroad Museum has a dome car; if you look at their equipment roster, there are some pictures. i do not think any work has been done on that car in a while.

ted66

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:46 am 

Silver Pony is an ex-D&RGW car.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:10 am 

For the information of those restoring Budd-built dome cars, in addition to the Pullman dome car drawings we also have the Budd drawings, and have supplied many drawings within IRM for the restoration of the Silver Pony. Note that the drawings are available at nominal cost from the IRM's Pullman Library, not from the Passenger Coach Department which has restricted use to their own project. There is considerable effort in locating Budd drawings, and our volunteer time does not come cheap as we all drive an average of one hour each way every Wednesday at no cost to the museum. Please help us to continue to keep the lights on and expensive digital equipment on line! And note that we need constant reminders from our customers as the paperwork overhead is considerable. Thank you for support for keeping this service to the restorers, modeler and historians still a viable activity!
Sincerely, Ted Anderson volunteer curator

P. O. Box 427
Union, IL 60180

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:25 am 

Ddatrainman wrote:
Looking for any cars that are for sale really.

Thanks in advance

Ozark Mountain Railcar is selling the entire Quad-Graphics business train, which includes an interesting dome / observation car.

After the dad who owned the company passed away a few years back (Harry Quadrucci), the train hasn't see much use.

Video of the car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5stqStTCuYc

I don't see a listing on the Ozark site, but there are videos for each car.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:17 am 

Ddatrainman wrote:
Anyone know of any dome car (full or mid) projects currently going on, completed or ones looking for new homes? Just doing some research and was genuinely curious to what is out there. Looking for any cars that are for sale really.

Thanks in advance

A place to look at would be Ozark Mountain Railcar, but you could also really look at gateway rail services. Gateway has a lot of dome cars for sale you just need to contact them and may be get a tour of the property.

Also
jrevans wrote:
Ddatrainman wrote:
Looking for any cars that are for sale really.

Thanks in advance

Ozark Mountain Railcar is selling the entire Quad-Graphics business train, which includes an interesting dome / observation car.

After the dad who owned the company passed away a few years back (Harry Quadrucci), the train hasn't see much use.

Video of the car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5stqStTCuYc

I don't see a listing on the Ozark site, but there are videos for each car.

The Quad-Graphics Business train was sold off about 2 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:44 pm 

Delexrax wrote:

Odd. I was employed by QG at that time and was told that the train was still there in Sussex.

Jim Wrinn wrote this article in 2015 and it was there:
http://cs.trains.com/trn/b/staff/archiv ... -cars.aspx

But, I do see that the Youtube sales videos were posted on Jan 4th of 2016.

Who ended up buying the train?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:30 pm 

jrevans wrote:
Delexrax wrote:

But, I do see that the Youtube sales videos were posted on Jan 4th of 2016.

Who ended up buying the train?

Sorry, I could be wrong. Whenever I am eating lunch at work I look at different things on my phone. About two years ago I noticed the business train for sale and then it disappeared. I just assumed that it was sold, but on the other hand they could have just taken down the sale. I'm sorry if I have given out false information

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:10 pm 

Delexrax wrote:
A place to look at would be Ozark Mountain Railcar, but you could also really look at gateway rail services. Gateway has a lot of dome cars for sale you just need to contact them and may be get a tour of the property.

Thanks for the info, will look into it.

SUNY Polytechnic Institute Alumni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:33 pm 

My sister lives in Sussex WI and I occasionally see the Quadgraphics private train on one of the sidings next to the plant.
I know they have been trying to sell the cars on and off over the last few years.
The dome was modified to have an open platform end (goofy looking in my opinion). 2015 Trains article here says its still in use by QG.

http://cs.trains.com/trn/b/staff/archiv ... -cars.aspx

Also is a “sold” posting on Ozark Mt. Rail here.

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/det ... Chalet-NEW

Not sure what the status on this car is.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:38 pm 

It is correct that the four Quad Graphics private cars were sold off several years ago. They were sold to the company that currently owns the St. Louis Union Station and the cars are based there. Three of the four cars are currently Amtrak Certified.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:10 pm 

Topfuel wrote:
It is correct that the four Quad Graphics private cars were sold off several years ago. They were sold to the company that currently owns the St. Louis Union Station and the cars are based there. Three of the four cars are currently Amtrak Certified.

Thanks for the update on their disposition. And with the magic of google maps / street view, here is a picture of the Silver Lodge in St. Louis:

https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m0!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1486523166838!6m8!1m7!1sm8qa9krzCIOjKruARv3OJw!2m2!1d38.6275319183034!2d-90.20989690232206!3f69.48107880945959!4f-3.1635943744719555!5f3.005680169023555

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:12 pm 

There was a gentleman in Spokane who owned at least 3 Budd Dome cars, unfortunately he died last year. Don't know the disposition of his cars, could probably come up with his name if you are interested.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:31 pm 

"There was a gentleman in Spokane who owned at least 3 Budd Dome cars, unfortunately he died last year. Don't know the disposition of his cars, could probably come up with his name if you are interested."

Those cars were sold off or donated last year. There were four NP dome cars and they are going to 3 different new owners. All cars should be moved by June of this year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:03 pm 

The Heart of Dixie museum in Calera, Alabama has a "shorty" dome coach which, I believe, is used on some of their museum trains. It was originally a Missouri Pacific car that was later sold to the Illinois Central. It has been repainted into its original MoPac paint scheme.

Les